Chord Detector Player (Free Update! Nov. 5 2019)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
Socram
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2015

Post 08 May 2018



Hey guys! I just wanted to take a moment to tell you about my new Player release, Chord Detector. Chord Detector is a lightweight Player device that tells you what chord you're playing in real time. It can detect over 75 unique chord variations and also has a built in piano roll for learning chords or visualizing MIDI/Player output. I'm super excited for everyone to get access to all the new Players, hope you guys enjoy!

It is currently on sale for $9 as a Player launch promotion. (5/8/18)

For more info see the video above or the shop page: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -detector/
Last edited by Socram on 05 Nov 2019, edited 2 times in total.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and more coming soon!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Breach The Sky
Posts: 197
Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 08 May 2018

Hey! YOU should make something like a player version of Scaler. Chord/melody devices seems to be your thing, I mean. ;) I something like that possible to do?

I have had a lot of use of Index and Tome. And I will be getting this!

User avatar
Socram
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2015

Post 08 May 2018

Breach The Sky wrote:
08 May 2018
Hey! YOU should make something like a player version of Scaler. Chord/melody devices seems to be your thing, I mean. ;) I something like that possible to do?

I have had a lot of use of Index and Tome. And I will be getting this!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep in mind the demand for something with features like Scaler. I like how they handled key/scale detection, that is something I would like to add to this device if I can get it right.

I appreciate the support! Hope you enjoy Chord Detector
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and more coming soon!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 693
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 08 May 2018

one word: awesome!

User avatar
rudiarii
Posts: 84
Joined: 28 Jun 2016
Location: UK

Post 08 May 2018

Simple yet very useful..thank you.
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

User avatar
GRIFTY
Posts: 638
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 May 2018

this is incredible. i had no idea i wanted this so much. i'm always playing interesting sounding random chords that i have no idea what to do with because i'm a huge thelonious monk fan but have no piano training to speak of. this will help me compose around my noodling!

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1538
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 May 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
08 May 2018
this is incredible. i had no idea i wanted this so much. i'm always playing interesting sounding random chords that i have no idea what to do with because i'm a huge thelonious monk fan but have no piano training to speak of. this will help me compose around my noodling!
I was thinking the same. Will be a very useful learning tool. I often play 3 notes randomly & if it sounds good I go with it. In other words I don't really know what the feck I'm doing! The problem is then progressing chords. Going from 1st to 2nd tends to work. Beyond that it's all over the place & I often struggle on the 4th chord, which rarely fits in with the previous 3. With this I'm thinking start with the 1st, see what it is & then work out where to go from here towards a wonderful harmonious noise! Sounds like a plan.

Jmax
Posts: 608
Joined: 03 Apr 2015

Post 08 May 2018

Thanks.. yes indeed very handy and cool!

User avatar
GRIFTY
Posts: 638
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 May 2018

i wish i could configure reason to automatically put one of these before every instrument lol

boomer
Posts: 49
Joined: 09 Nov 2016

Post 09 May 2018

Does this work with 9.5? I tried to purchase it but Propellerhead won't let me unless I upgrade to 10.

User avatar
GRIFTY
Posts: 638
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2018

^no

User avatar
Socram
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2015

Post 09 May 2018

boomer wrote:
09 May 2018
Does this work with 9.5? I tried to purchase it but Propellerhead won't let me unless I upgrade to 10.
No the new third party players require 10.1.

You can check out https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ictionary/ which is the predecessor to this device, it is not a player. It has a (lesser in a couple ways) chord detection algorithm, as well as a "direct chord lookup" system, which is why its a bit more expensive. It's also a bit ugly and as a Utility the work flow is a lot less fluid, hence me making Chord Detector.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and more coming soon!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

ARAlife
Posts: 25
Joined: 20 May 2016

Post 09 May 2018

I get a device error
if I click in the display (right display where the chord is displayed) disables the device

I do not know if the problem is only with me

User avatar
Voyager
Posts: 499
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 09 May 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
08 May 2018

this is incredible. i had no idea i wanted this so much. i'm always playing interesting sounding random chords that i have no idea what to do with because i'm a huge thelonious monk fan but have no piano training to speak of. this will help me compose around my noodling!


How knowing the name or type chord you are playing will help you composing ? I have no piano fundamental knowledge as well, i mean never been teached how to play, just learn myself and i only go by ear while i couldn't name a single chord i'm playing and anyway won't really help me too.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2306
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 09 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
09 May 2018
GRIFTY wrote:
08 May 2018

this is incredible. i had no idea i wanted this so much. i'm always playing interesting sounding random chords that i have no idea what to do with because i'm a huge thelonious monk fan but have no piano training to speak of. this will help me compose around my noodling!


How knowing the name or type chord you are playing will help you composing ? I have no piano fundamental knowledge as well, i mean never been teached how to play, just learn myself and i only go by ear while i couldn't name a single chord i'm playing and anyway won't really help me too.
It won't really help but you will be able to tell other people what chord you're playing!
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1620
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 09 May 2018

Dug Index. Think I'm gonna like this.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1434
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2018

aeox wrote:
09 May 2018
Voyager wrote:
09 May 2018


How knowing the name or type chord you are playing will help you composing ? I have no piano fundamental knowledge as well, i mean never been teached how to play, just learn myself and i only go by ear while i couldn't name a single chord i'm playing and anyway won't really help me too.
It won't really help but you will be able to tell other people what chord you're playing!
👍🏼 it’s not something that might be helpful in a creative sense, but it can be very useful for communication, as you suggest. this will be super helpful for me; using MIDI Guitar 2 to play pads and whatnot into Reason with my guitar, and see the root notes without having to manually enter the fretboard patterns into the phone app I’ve been using for this.

thanks for this Player; definitely will pick this one up. 🐐🦄

User avatar
GRIFTY
Posts: 638
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2018

If I know what chord I just played I can find that key easily and build a track around it. Full disclosure: I'm a drummer with very poor music theory knowledge

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 693
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 09 May 2018

first crash, enable-disable the first echo, and puff
the first player chord bust be set to chord also, then it will overload.
ah, sorry, Loveone midi-cv player and TM-1 included but none essentials (tm-1 launch fourth kong stash only and that seems to work ok)
I guess, no too sure. :mrgreen:
test.zip
Can I make a suggestion?
Is it possible to add a fader knob to the viewer so the ghost of the display can stay longer???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1538
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
09 May 2018
If I know what chord I just played I can find that key easily and build a track around it.
This was my thinking - If I have some idea of where I am, other than just liking the sound of whatever it is I'm playing, then I should be able to use this to move forward in a more logical / musical way. Of course you need to do a bit of research or use some other tool to suggest progressions. But it helps. At the moment I'm flying blind so it's hard to move forward from an accidentally nice sounding combination of three or more notes.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1434
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 09 May 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
09 May 2018
GRIFTY wrote:
09 May 2018
If I know what chord I just played I can find that key easily and build a track around it.
This was my thinking - If I have some idea of where I am, other than just liking the sound of whatever it is I'm playing, then I should be able to use this to move forward in a more logical / musical way. Of course you need to do a bit of research or use some other tool to suggest progressions. But it helps. At the moment I'm flying blind so it's hard to move forward from an accidentally nice sounding combination of three or more notes.
have you tried using the audio to MIDI functionality and then using that to trigger some Players?

so, if you have your existing 3 chord part or whatever, that you like, and then you imagine a few notes beyond that, that might be the start of a new part, you can just record yourself humming into a mic, extracting the MIDI from that (make sure your vocal track is in vocal time stretch mode). then quantize it if needed, and dump it into an instrument track with an arpeggiator or Scales & Chords Player, and tweak until you find something you're happy with.

pedro.furtado
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 May 2018

Post 16 May 2018

Hi! Does it works with Reason 10 Intro?
www.instagram.com/zimbrapedro
my band's spotify https://spoti.fi/2KqwbEg

Drummer/Producer from Santos, Brasil :reason: :thumbup:

User avatar
Socram
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2015

Post 16 May 2018

pedro.furtado wrote:Hi! Does it works with Reason 10 Intro?
Yes it does :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and more coming soon!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1620
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 17 May 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
09 May 2018
Full disclosure: I'm a drummer with very poor music theory knowledge
Drummer myself for about half a century, fav drummer joke:
Q. Didja hear about the bass player who locked him or herself in the car?
A. It took the drummer an hour to get him/her out

I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitstaff...
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

Pralijah
Posts: 103
Joined: 17 Feb 2017

Post 18 May 2018

Two suggestion that would make it more user friendly from my own experience.

1) To shorten the chord names as much as possible on the display, to be simular to the ones that are displayed in "Scales & Chords".
Instead of "C minor 7", just to display "Cm7", "C7" instead of "C dominant 7" etc. For me, I´m so much more used to seeing the short standard chord names so that writing it differently, makes it more tiresome for my eyes to use. I want to see it instantly in standard formation. And also that different voicings could be shortened and made subtler and put apart from the standard chord-name; or that one can switch manually how much detailed info one wants to be displayed about the chord.

2) To fully delete the message "Awaiting midi signal". Why? Because often the chords are quite rapid in their changes and then this message makes it too confusing for the eye, as it gets in there every little space between chord changes.
Make music shake again!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Vil, Yandex [Bot] and 6 guests