Deal of the Week: PX7 FM Synthesizer 50% off

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

antic604

30 Apr 2018

Worth it? I have it from a good source that FM4 will be on sale on 18th (May Madness?) and I was planning to get that, but at this price PX7 looks tempting as well.

Thoughts?

esselfortium

30 Apr 2018

I mainly use PX7 as a preset player, but it's excellent for that if you're looking for authentic 80s synth sounds, since it includes lots and lots of original DX7 patches in its sound bank. It's dry on its own, but I've found that combining it with Kuassa's Efektor Chorus unit and a bit of reverb very easily gets it sounding wonderful.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

madmacman

30 Apr 2018

It depends:

a) If you are into sound design and willing to use the hell out of the CV In - then the PX7 could be a good addition to your toolset.

b) If you are only looking for a DX7 preset player, then (except for RE "convenience") the freeware DEXED VST plugin could be a good alternative. https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2018

I still prefer to work with FM4. Simple and fun. Easy to work with. Looks better too.

Micha1973

01 May 2018

I have the pX7 - but i also like the free DEXED. You should taste this fine free synth. it can also load all the old dx7 sounds..and there are 1000000
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

seqoi

01 May 2018

Ok i was aiming for this for another computer. And for that price imho it is worth it yes.

Secretly i was hoping maybe Props will announce some kind of Summer Reason upgrade offerings, like buy upgrade to v10 and get PX7 for free.

Guys...Is my memory crapping out because i am sure i saw such offers last year (like buy upgrade and get XY RE for free)....Or these "get for free" Propellearhead plugins are only reserved if you buy full application not the upgrade?

Does anyone know is there a way to see what they offered year before ?

Goodbye

01 May 2018

It's great sounding, but despite spending a lot of time playing with it, I've never got to a point where I feel like I know how to get a particular sound out of it, or even take a preset in a particular direction. I usually just use presets (which I don't do with any other synth), but there are a wide variety including many ancient patches from the DX7.

joeyluck

01 May 2018

Goodbye wrote:
01 May 2018
It's great sounding, but despite spending a lot of time playing with it, I've never got to a point where I feel like I know how to get a particular sound out of it, or even take a preset in a particular direction. I usually just use presets (which I don't do with any other synth), but there are a wide variety including many ancient patches from the DX7.
For me, a great start to editing patches is trying different algorithms and using the macro sliders. If a sound is somewhat close to something I'm after, those steps will typically get me there.

EnGee

01 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Worth it? I have it from a good source that FM4 will be on sale on 18th (May Madness?) and I was planning to get that, but at this price PX7 looks tempting as well.

Thoughts?
I have been waiting for this discount (and also for FM4 as well as I have it in my iPad and it is a great FM synth). They are different in sound and design as well. FM4 has a 'nicer' sound and easier to program, but PX7 is more 'authentic' in design at least.

There are also the free ReFill 2GB for PX7 which has (they said!) 200k presets!. In fact, I found some of the converted presets are much better than the factory ones of PX7. So, don't judge it by the factory presets. Anyway, I'm still browsing the converted presets (maybe I need one year to finish them :lol: ) and there are great sounds (about 1 in every bank of 32 presets).

FM4 has more 'round' sound and to my ears it is nicer than PX7. Reminds me a little bit of Sytrus of Image Line. Anyway, it is IMO very useful for making fast my own sounds (at least much faster than PX7) and also the GUI is a little bit bigger which make it more inviting to tweak.

In the end I'm getting them both :)

Windows 10 with Reason Studio 12, Live Suite 11, Bitwig Studio 4, Studio One Pro v5 and Cubase 12 Pro

Psuper

01 May 2018

Dexed is the way to go imo, save yourself $50.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

rcbuse
RE Developer

01 May 2018

If you try out PX7, get freaky with the Lectric Panda Patches

Lectric Panda Generates PX7.rfl (123M)

moneykube

01 May 2018

Lectric Panda... oh wow missed this refill of yours it seems .... have not checked your site in awhile... thanx for the refill.... PX7 was one of the first synths I bought :re: with all the patches out there for this synth... this deal is a good one imo :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

antic604

02 May 2018

EnGee wrote:
01 May 2018
FM4 has more 'round' sound and to my ears it is nicer than PX7. Reminds me a little bit of Sytrus of Image Line. Anyway, it is IMO very useful for making fast my own sounds (at least much faster than PX7) and also the GUI is a little bit bigger which make it more inviting to tweak.

Thanks! I hear FM4 will be on sale on 18th! :)

HeavyViper

02 May 2018

PX7 offers a great deal more control over the sound than FM4, but FM4 is easier to work with overall. Having bought both, I'd say PX7 is better for more detailed, articulated FM sounds while FM4 is a go-to for rich, nasty FM distortion and grit. Either can do either, but that's how I use 'em.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

Goodbye

02 May 2018

joeyluck wrote:
01 May 2018
For me, a great start to editing patches is trying different algorithms and using the macro sliders. If a sound is somewhat close to something I'm after, those steps will typically get me there.
I just find it really hard to create rather than tweak with it.

For anyone picking it up there are some great resources on FM synthesis on this thread:

Especially the Dao of FM series.

EnGee

02 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
02 May 2018
EnGee wrote:
01 May 2018

Thanks! I hear FM4 will be on sale on 18th! :)
Great to know. Thanks! That makes it a non brainer :)

There is a free tutorial about PX7 that I found it a useful crash course:

Still FM synthesis is not easy one and need a lot of experiments, but it worth it in the end as it can produce very complex sounds that have this metallic character.

Windows 10 with Reason Studio 12, Live Suite 11, Bitwig Studio 4, Studio One Pro v5 and Cubase 12 Pro

moneykube

02 May 2018

video explained a few things for me... thanx
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

antic604

02 May 2018

EnGee wrote:
02 May 2018
There is a free tutorial about PX7 that I found it a useful crash course:
Yeah, saw that yesterday but frankly this video does a huge disservice to PX7 (and FM synthesis in general) - I mean if he played that sound 1-2 octaves below it would be fine, but as is it's almost painful at times and entirely not appealing, even though it explains FM quite well :)

I trialled PX7 yesterday and wasn't really impressed - the presets sounded mostly dull, kinda lifeless. I know you can/should hook it up with external LFOs and other modulators, but still. FM4 did a much better impression on me, so I'll probably just wait for that instead, especially since it's possible PX7 ends up as a native Reason device somewhere in the future :D

EnGee

02 May 2018

Yes I agree that the tutorial has just scratched the surface. It gives you the impression that the tutor didn't prepare his tutorial before hand. Also, there are many essential things have being left, but even with that I think it gives a good overall info about the original DX7 and how it works (and this is really why I bought it).

I already have FM8 and Sytrus but I wanted an exact DX7 emulation. Arturia has a fantastic one but the price and CPU usage in addition to some bugs has made me cancel it. It has a great sound though.

There are some great PX7 combinator presets by the way. I'm looking for tweaking and using some of them soon :)

miscend

02 May 2018

Did they ever sort out the automation issues?

EnGee

03 May 2018

miscend wrote:
02 May 2018
What issues? Do you mean the lack of Bezier curves?
Otherwise, parameters automation seems working fine in the sequencer.

miscend

04 May 2018

EnGee wrote:
03 May 2018
miscend wrote:
02 May 2018
Very few of the controls were actually automatable.

EnGee

04 May 2018

miscend wrote:
04 May 2018
EnGee wrote:
03 May 2018

"were"? Do you mean it's ok now?
Can you explain further or give an example? I really don't understand what do you mean.

miscend

05 May 2018

EnGee wrote:
04 May 2018
miscend wrote:
04 May 2018

"were"? Do you mean it's ok now?
Can you explain further or give an example? I really don't understand what do you mean.
You can’t automate or modulate with CV the individual eg rates and eg envelopes for each operator.

And You can’t automate keyboard scaling.

• Information