Manticore in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Softphonics

30 Apr 2018

fieldframe wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Softphonics wrote:
30 Apr 2018

Put Manticore in a combinator and you have CV control over anything you want......
I think everyone knows that; it's just a better user experience to have the most commonly used CV inputs on the back. The Combinator CV control was presumably intended for more advanced or unconventional routings, not to replace the basics.

If the CV inputs were left off due to IDT limitations (can you make standalone effects units with the IDT now?), that's understandable, though hopefully PH/UJam will add support in a future update.

None of the above!! :) , While hardcore users want CV, ... CV was not high up on most people surveyed before Softphonics started making RE's. I mean we did not go into to this blindfolded or for fun. Now id assume they would also be the type of user that does not frequent forums too often so here is hard to get a balanced opinion, But I have a big gang of testers that I trust, many of them here in the RT forum, and I take them very seriously with thier input because they give it in a nice & positive way during builds, . There is quite a number of devices out there now not using CV, that does not mean they are IDT's that is a myth. IDT as far as Im aware is fully CV compatible a long time. Although I did say that CV would be added when I knew which controls people wanted to control via CV in updates, if you read back on posts.

I and others have noticed a trend of negative comments on a lot of DEV posts including Softphonics RE's related from user FieldFrame, If it not the GUI, it is the CV or the knobs, or the color or something or what is wrong or disappointing etc etc etc.?

And with respect can I say,
We like most DEVs are here for community input and positive connections.
If you have any positive input or input that is not just saying something for the sake of it, you should engage it every now and then, it would make you look better and smarter.
You want Dev's to give you work doing GUI's but going around talking down everyone's hard work does not endear you on anyone especially from a professional point of view.
Just a tip.

Take care
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

esselfortium

30 Apr 2018

Softphonics is indeed just repackaging premade effects and selling them as his own, and is now outright lying about it when asked.

[Removed by a mod]
Softphonics wrote:
30 Apr 2018
If you have any positive input or input that is not just saying something for the sake of it, you should engage it every now and then, it would make you look better and smarter.
You want Dev's to give you work doing GUI's but going around talking down everyone's hard work does not endear you on anyone especially from a professional point of view.
Just a tip.

Take care
Your own business practices could use cleaning up before you have room to judge others for criticizing you.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

nickb523
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Softphonics is indeed just repackaging premade effects and selling them as his own, and is now outright lying about it when asked.
Softphonics wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Just a tip.

Take care
Your own business practices could use cleaning up before you have room to judge others for criticizing you.
Any chance we could all just chill out? - speaking from experience, business is business and shouldn't be in the public domain. :)

All the IDT this, IDT that - It in no way benefits the users.

It's a waste of everyone's time. :)

It should be about Synths, FX and fun... not this rubbish.

That's my 2c. :)
Last edited by nickb523 on 01 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Kenni
Site Admin

30 Apr 2018

I agree.

Everyone chill out now, please. This thread is about a product in the shop. Accusations of this and that must be taken elsewhere. Keep it sober and on-topic, Thank you!

PS: I don't get why tools made with IDT is frowned upon in general. IDT built devices definitely have their place in the eco-system, and the included effects are there for a reason. Even if a device includes a structured way to use and abuse those effects, it should be all good.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

Apologies if I've hurt any feelings, but the design critiques I've posted on this forum have been no different from how I would engage with my fellow designers at work. (Well, except for one instance, but that was... a special case. :))

I actually don't mind so much if these devices "repackage" UJAM effects. I'll even agree with Softphonics in this regard: The sound is what matters, and if the effects that come with IDT sound good, why not make them more useful with features like frequency splitting and mod matrixes?

I'll agree with Esselfortium though that I'd prefer to see credit where credit is due. If UJAM wrote the DSP code, that really should be mentioned somewhere.

nickb523
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

fieldframe wrote:
30 Apr 2018

I actually don't mind so much if these devices "repackage" UJAM effects. I'll even agree with Softphonics in this regard: The sound is what matters, and if the effects that come with IDT sound good, why not make them more useful with features like frequency splitting and mod matrixes?

I'll agree with Esselfortium though that I'd prefer to see credit where credit is due. If UJAM wrote the DSP code, that really should be mentioned somewhere.
Seriously man. Is this attack really necessary? This is exactly what we are all talking about. Stop it. It's not stuff that is for the public.

If something is bothering you so much then email the dev. ;)

Nick :)
Last edited by nickb523 on 30 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Kenni
Site Admin

30 Apr 2018

Both yes and no.

There's no credit to give. There's no exclusive rights, Ujam takes a cut from devices sold made with IDT. So repackaging effects from the IDT is not an issue whatsoever, hence my comment about structuring those effects into useful devices.

Asking developers to credit Ujam for the DSP code when they release a device built with IDT is the same as asking developers to credit Propellerhead for making the RE SDK. :)
fieldframe wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Apologies if I've hurt any feelings, but the design critiques I've posted on this forum have been no different from how I would engage with my fellow designers at work. (Well, except for one instance, but that was... a special case. :))

Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

30 Apr 2018

Also, if people have comments about the design, where else to put them but in a forum?

All I ask is for people to keep it sober.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Geltic Höhn

01 May 2018

Are we unable to voice our opinions without hurting some delicate feelings? This was the same guy who released that awful looking piano GUI recently, right ? I notice that public voicing of distaste actually got it reviewed, and changed to a very elegant design in the end.

Instead of being upset, consider that a complaining customer is the most valuable lesson you can learn from in business, instead of taking offense, take action. Listen, and learn, from everyone, not just those who are spreading sweet frosting over your cake.

As for this, I think the monster image on the rear panel is tacky and childish. Just my opinion. I wouldn't buy an actual hardware device with something like that on it, unless it was from Toys R Us. Does it add anything to sales ? No it does not, but it just may stop people from buying, so it's a liability, nothing more.

nickb523
RE Developer

01 May 2018

Geltic Höhn wrote:
01 May 2018
Are we unable to voice our opinions without hurting some delicate feelings?
It's not that at all.

There are at least 2 forum users who are repeatedly barging into Softphonics threads making the same negative comments. It's not simply a case of user opinions causing a bit of a stir. It's a calculated campaign that resembles schoolyard bullying and it's not at all fair. One of the comments that were moderated was an outright slanderous attack on Softphonics livelihood which should not be tolerated.

The bottom line is, that if this type of thing continues to happen then you won't see the dev's posting at all. It's a demoralising, humiliating source of misery that no one wants to be put through every time they check on the their latest product thread.

Constructive criticism is a good thing, which is ultimately helpful to a developer (whether they like it or not!) , but the constant unfair criticism, personal attacks on your livelihood and intimidating behaviour cross the line.

Hope this clears things up.

Geltic Höhn

01 May 2018

ok fair call, Nick. I've not read enough threads to see a trend emerging. And I guess i didn't see the deleted comment you speak of.

geronimo

01 May 2018

In order to resume a more technical debate, I have well imagined a Link function for each Band in order to configure some settings simultaneously.

A Solo mode would also be welcome to listen each Band individually and disable the optional Link mode.
I know that you can temporarily disable a single Band Band of your choice with Activate Control.

Another choice: would it be possible to have separate outputs for each band.

RobC

01 May 2018

nickb523 wrote:
01 May 2018
Geltic Höhn wrote:
01 May 2018
Are we unable to voice our opinions without hurting some delicate feelings?
It's not that at all.

There are at least 2 forum users who are repeatedly barging into Softphonics threads making the same negative comments. It's not simply a case of user opinions causing a bit of a stir. It's a calculated campaign that resembles schoolyard bullying and it's not at all fair. One of the comments that were moderated was an outright slanderous attack on Softphonics livelihood which should not be tolerated.

The bottom line is, that if this type of thing continues to happen then you won't see the dev's posting at all. It's a demoralising, humiliating source of misery that no one wants to be put through every time they check on the their latest product thread.

Constructive criticism is a good thing, which is ultimately helpful to a developer (whether they like it or not!) , but the constant unfair criticism, personal attacks on your livelihood and intimidating behaviour cross the line.

Hope this clears things up.

Huh, I saw these issues happening. Didn't know it's repeated. : P
I wonder if these bullies/trolls/etc. are aware of the fact that making a presumably false statement that puts a company wrongly in bad light, and unfairly causes financial/business issues, is illegal... (At least in my country one can get in big trouble.)

Zac

02 May 2018

Ok. It's a basic RE at a fairly hefty price. I can ignore that. But at £32 discounted from £35 which is an 8% reduction i think says a lot about this device and developer.

Remember when VK-2 was 29 tokens?

antic604

02 May 2018

Hydelide doesn't seem impressed:

Ostermilk

02 May 2018

hurricane wrote:
27 Apr 2018
I can't be the only one who pictures a magician being attacked when looking at this.
From the front?

Geltic Höhn

02 May 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
02 May 2018
hurricane wrote:
27 Apr 2018
I can't be the only one who pictures a magician being attacked when looking at this.
From the front?
No, you should never attack a magician from the front.

Zac

02 May 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
02 May 2018
hurricane wrote:
27 Apr 2018
From the front?
No. Back to the front.

GRIFTY

03 May 2018

Softphonics wrote:
29 Apr 2018
eusti wrote:
28 Apr 2018

I actually agree with Grifty here. I absolutely hate the internet sign in with Reason when trialing a RE, that's why I only try REs that I know I'm very interested in... I love to know what I can expect even with an FX to figure out if I want to test it...

D.

Here you are guys,

It just was not added to the shop page because Propellerhead don't work weekends. Should be on the shop page by morning

Can be used as:
- Distortion Unit
- Lo-Fi unit
- Compressor
- Frequency Filter
- Pan Splitter
- Saturation device
- Multi Band effect
- All of the above combined & Modulated

-----------------------------------------
thank you. my apologies for disturbing the peace

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 May 2018

Zac wrote:
02 May 2018
Ostermilk wrote:
02 May 2018

From the front?
No. Back to the front.

The one on the RE's back looks way more evil: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dies.html
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

fieldframe
RE Developer

04 May 2018

hurricane wrote:
04 May 2018
Zac wrote:
02 May 2018

No. Back to the front.

The one on the RE's back looks way more evil: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dies.html

Just like Siegfried and Roy's tiger, it looks like the mascot is gone from the back of the RE.

Also, is it just me or did the price change?

Zac

04 May 2018

fieldframe wrote:
04 May 2018
hurricane wrote:
04 May 2018

Just like Siegfried and Roy's tiger, it looks like the mascot is gone from the back of the RE.

Also, is it just me or did the price change?
Yes it changed. It was £35 reduced to £32.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 May 2018

So I've been trying this RE a bit now. I'm not really feeling it, sorry. :(
It's partly because it's not really my type of device. These multi effects units rarely fit my way of working. I just find them messy with a bunch of stuff thrown in there that I'll never use. I'd much rather have a more focused product that does one or two things really well. For example just having a multiband distortion unit without all the other stuff makes more sense to me.
But I can't really blame the product for that, because after all it's marketed as a "multi function tool".

I mostly tried this for the distortion part tbh, which is alright but nothing special compared to what I've got already. And it's just one distortion type, or two if you want to count the "reduce sample" thingy.
RPDistort seems to be a good contender for this RE with a lot more distortion types. Both have modulation abilities, filters, compressor etc. Of course Manticore has the multiband thing which RPDistort doesn't.

I'm not really a tweaker so besides playing around with the distortion I scrolled through the presets on some drum loops and synth lines. Nothing really grabbed me unfortunately. Not for me I guess.

Jmax

06 May 2018

antic604 wrote:
02 May 2018
Hydelide doesn't seem impressed:

Forget Hydelide, I remember him crying like a baby when Propellerhead wouldn't pay him any attention. He deserved this and that. I can see why they ignore him. He's partly crazy, and has an incredibly annoying voice.

I watched his video on the Manticore. Again, it's just him whinning and showing how brilliant he is doing it all with stock devices. Guy needs to get laid.

geronimo

07 May 2018

About good cavaliers, compared to his work !

• Information