Synapse GQ-7 Equalizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ravisoni

07 May 2018

selig wrote:
25 Apr 2018
It is also great for room analysis (using a $50 Behringer test mic). It also shows distortion, phase, and timing data (impulse response), using a swept sine technique (very accurate!).

Have used this for years, initially for acoustics work, then realized you can run it through anything in real time. You can also create a file that can be used remotely, such as for car speaker tests, where you merge the data after the fact (you need a player AND a recorder for this application).
Would you be willing to do a little post or an article (or even point to good techniques) explaining how the bedroom musician can test the room for these acoustics? Yes, there's probably lots on google about this, but techniques that you know definitely work, and what proper equipment to get workable results? Would be much appreciated!
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

guitfnky

07 May 2018

aeox wrote:
06 May 2018
guitfnky wrote:
06 May 2018

I’m a little late to the party, I know...not to be pedantic (okay, maybe a little), but there are definitely rack extensions that have colored the audio by adding saturation. RP EQ and one of the Kuassa extensions (AT-5, I think?) both do, at the very least. not quite in this way though, and it certainly doesn’t take away from the impressive feature set and sound in this thing. nice job!
Doesn't Moo Q do tube saturation as well?

Either way, ColoringEQ kind of took it to a new level with loads more features.
oh yeah, I would imagine that one does too. I don’t think it has a knob to set the amount, like RP EQ or the Kuassa one, but it should.

but yeah, ColoringEQ is brilliant. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

07 May 2018

guitfnky wrote:
selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018
Yes there are EQs that color, but until VSTs and my ColoringEQ, there were none in Reason that did this (which is why I did it!).
I’m a little late to the party, I know...not to be pedantic (okay, maybe a little), but there are definitely rack extensions that have colored the audio by adding saturation. RP EQ and one of the Kuassa extensions (AT-5, I think?) both do, at the very least. not quite in this way though, and it certainly doesn’t take away from the impressive feature set and sound in this thing. nice job!
The EQs you mention with saturation add their saturation before or after the entire EQ, and it sounds exactly as it would sound if you added a saturation device directly before or after the EQ yourself. You can easily add pre or post EQ saturation to any EQ (including the ColoringEQ if you like!), which gives you lots of options.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

07 May 2018

selig wrote:
07 May 2018
guitfnky wrote:
The EQs you mention with saturation add their saturation before or after the entire EQ, and it sounds exactly as it would sound if you added a saturation device directly before or after the EQ yourself. You can easily add pre or post EQ saturation to any EQ (including the ColoringEQ if you like!), which gives you lots of options.

👍🏼 ah, gotcha, that makes sense. that distinction wasn’t made clear in my brain. thanks!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

aeox
Competition Winner

09 May 2018

selig wrote:
07 May 2018
guitfnky wrote:

Ah, that's right. Forgot about that!

aeox
Competition Winner

14 May 2018

selig wrote:
25 Apr 2018
aeox wrote:
I remember when you tried doing this with the RE3Q (Trying to mimic the "air band" with SSL EQ). Although you could get the curves the same with the SSL EQ, it sounded nothing alike. I know there isn't some "magic" going on, so I wonder what actually causes that?
We remember differently then! I don’t recall the details (was it the SSL?), but do remember it sounded exactly alike to me - or maybe I’ve lost my ‘edge’, or maybe I don’t care any more and just want to make music! We agree there’s no “magic” going on, so I’ll leave it at that!

I found the reason! The device has saturation!
This was recently updated

Loque

14 May 2018

aeox wrote:
14 May 2018
selig wrote:
25 Apr 2018

We remember differently then! I don’t recall the details (was it the SSL?), but do remember it sounded exactly alike to me - or maybe I’ve lost my ‘edge’, or maybe I don’t care any more and just want to make music! We agree there’s no “magic” going on, so I’ll leave it at that!

Good to know and pretty good ears :thumbs_up: . I saw the update too. ASAP i gonna check how it sounds when driving the in/outputs - guess this is how to control the saturation.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

14 May 2018

aeox wrote:
selig wrote:
25 Apr 2018

Interesting!

Also, and I forgot to mention this before, the “air” band is doing some sort of parallel EQ and adding the original signal in with the high shelf. This has the effect of raising the entire signal to some degree (can’t remember the specifics), which results in everything being louder - and since louder = better, most folks assume it’s “better”.

But the point here is that if you do NOT also raise the signal when making comparisons, you cannot match the EQ curves and thus may be led to believe there IS some sort of magic going on with this approach. Took me a while to figure it out, so I’m not saying it should be obvious on any level! But it makes it tricky to compare to other EQs if you don’t compensate correctly.

Once you compensate for the added level, it can sound (when matched) exactly like other EQs in most cases. I’m sure there’s the except, such as the high shelf with the MClass that is unlike most other high shelf curves, but that explains the “magic” going on with the air band.
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information