Predator unison modes???

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
flightONE

24 Apr 2018

Hey everyone!

I have a somewhat stupid question about Predator RE, I have RTFM and no amount of googling has shed any light. (I guess i've stopped short of writing to Rob Papen, but i'll try this if this post doesn't work)

Anyhow, does anyone know what the difference is between the Unison Modes in predator RE ??? The manual only explains what Unison 2, 4 etc do but it doesn't say anything about Unison 2N, 4N.. etc?

Any guesses what the difference between say ... 2 and 2N is??

eXode

24 Apr 2018

flightONE wrote:
24 Apr 2018
Hey everyone!

I have a somewhat stupid question about Predator RE, I have RTFM and no amount of googling has shed any light. (I guess i've stopped short of writing to Rob Papen, but i'll try this if this post doesn't work)

Anyhow, does anyone know what the difference is between the Unison Modes in predator RE ??? The manual only explains what Unison 2, 4 etc do but it doesn't say anything about Unison 2N, 4N.. etc?

Any guesses what the difference between say ... 2 and 2N is??
If I recall correctly, the regular unison resets the phases of all the voices when you play, it's more noticeable with a higher unison voice number (you get a stabby, flanging effect), the unison N mode lets the voices run free, which generally give you a smoother, wider sound when used together with stereo spread.

scratchnsnifff

24 Apr 2018

I believe exode is right, although if memory serves correctly you can get the weird unison laser effect with all the unison modes (it’s more prominent in the unison mode mentioned above, as well as in the “spread” knob) you can have normal sounding unison in predator by clicking the free button above each oscilator this will make the phase of the oscilator free running so you get a more “musical” sound as opposed to an effect type of sound, send Rob Papen a message he will more than likely give you an explanation:)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

flightONE

24 Apr 2018

Thanks guys!!! .. I did some more testing with simple patches and I think y'all are right,, it does sound like those modes affect the phase sync.

I usually prefer the free running unison but since I've playing around with these for a few hours i got some patch Ideas that use the flangey effects .I kinda like the non N modes which (to me) sound like they have a louder attack (which would make sense if there was some summing because of all the voices being in phase)

• Information