AS-16 Analog Step Sequencer Help

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
graeme75

20 Apr 2018

Hi

I hope someone can help as this is driving me insane. I have a very simple setup in R10. A redrum and a subtractor hooked up to an AS-16 Analog Step sequencer. I have a 16 step pattern that I’m happy with but I can’t figure out how to tell the sequencer when to play it.
I can’t automate the run button on the As-16 so as soon as play is hit on transport bar the sequence plays (as long as autorun is enabled). I want to be able to choose when the A’s-16 pattern plays or doesn’t play, how do I do this?

Is this device just meant for playing live? Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme

Despondo
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2018

From the manual:

"Normally AS-16 will start playing when the Reason sequencer starts, to disable this feature, toggle the Auto
button.

Note that the Play button cannot be automated. Use the Chain Reset CV input instead."
Last edited by Despondo on 20 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

graeme75

20 Apr 2018

Hi Despondo

Yes that is true, but as you can’t automate the auto button, how do I tell it to start playing the sequence at bar 20 etc?

Cheers
Graeme

Despondo
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2018

graeme75 wrote:
20 Apr 2018
Hi Despondo

Yes that is true, but as you can’t automate the auto button, how do I tell it to start playing the sequence at bar 20 etc?

Cheers
Graeme
"Note that the Play button cannot be automated. Use the Chain Reset CV input instead."

Also from the manual.

kungubu

20 Apr 2018

Hav you disabled the autoplay (above the run button)?

chimp_spanner

20 Apr 2018

Yeah just disable autoplay, and then send any kind of gate/pulse into the reset CV input on the back at the desired bar. That'll do it!

graeme75

20 Apr 2018

Thanks for the quick replies. This may be basic but how do I send a gate/pulse into the reset?

Only just starting trying to get to grips with this CV stuff

Cheers
Graeme

Despondo
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2018

Here's a quick example...The redrum triggers the device at bar 3. I am not sure how to STOP it from playing, however. ;-)
Attachments
AS-16.reason.zip
(214.51 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

graeme75

20 Apr 2018

Thanks for the attachment, I wil try when I get back. This is what I am finding frustrating, just basic things like getting it to start/stop at particular points. Also if I hit a key on my MIDI controller auto transposes which is good, but again I don’t know how I can trigger this at different points on than playing it ‘live’

Cheers
Graeme

chimp_spanner

20 Apr 2018

Any device with a gate output can trigger the AS-16. So Kong, for example, can be used as a sort of gate "nerve centre" to trigger different players and devices.

With regards to transposing the AS-16 you need to make sure it has a sequencer track. To do that just right click the device and choose "create track for AS-16" (or something like that). Then there'll be a track you can arm in the arranger view to record key changes :)

chimp_spanner

20 Apr 2018

As to how to stop the device...uhhhh lemme get back to you on that. Currently exporting mix variations for 20 songs so I'm in a WORLD of hurt right now haha.

geronimo

20 Apr 2018

An example _

graeme75

20 Apr 2018

Hi

I set up a Kong as per the picture and Pad 1 will start the AS-16 and Pad 2 will stop it. Hooray!! However my next question is will I always need a Kong to do this (or is there anything a bit more refined - seems a wast to have a whole kong act as a trigger)

Thanks for all the help so far I have managed to get it to start/stop transpose when I want it too

Cheers
Graeme
Attachments
AS-16 Kong.zip
(132 Bytes) Downloaded 37 times

Auryn

20 Apr 2018

graeme75 wrote:
20 Apr 2018
Hi

I set up a Kong as per the picture and Pad 1 will start the AS-16 and Pad 2 will stop it. Hooray!! However my next question is will I always need a Kong to do this (or is there anything a bit more refined - seems a wast to have a whole kong act as a trigger)

Thanks for all the help so far I have managed to get it to start/stop transpose when I want it too

Cheers
Graeme
So any device that sends out a gate signal can be used. In terms of "waste" from a CPU usage standpoint that's really negligible for Kong. In terms of screen real estate or something you could use Thor as it has 2 programmable buttons. (in thor's mod matrix pick an empty slot and select modifiers>button 1 as source and cv output>1 as destination, an analogously for button 2 & cv2, then connect thors cv out 1 & 2 to the relevant inputs on the sequencer)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Data_Shrine

21 Apr 2018

I'm relieved that this is possible, as i'm not counting on an update for this device any time soon (or ever). I don't understand why they just didn't let us automate the play button. Isn't weird ?

• Information