RE for multiple CVs to pass through, but limit number let through?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
guitfnky

16 Apr 2018

I need some help...

I need to know if there's a rack extension that can take multiple CV gate inputs, and then allow me to limit the number of those gates that then get sent back out.

here's the use scenario...I have a Combinator set up to semi-randomly create drum patterns, and I want to make sure that there are no more than four drum hits occurring concurrently (like a real drummer, with two hands and two feet - though now that I think of it, I might want to have the option to enable a Def Leppard mode where only one hand is active).

so, I want to be able to send up to 16 concurrent gates into the RE, but then limit how many of those are actually let through. is there something like that I should be looking at?

I'm really pretty new to doing CV routing, and there are a ton of interesting REs out there, but many of the ones I think might do what I want have sparse documentation on their use, and no video tutorials. I'd rather not have to use up the trial for 10 or more REs just so I can test them out and figure them out for myself. I see there are a several Hamu REs, and maybe a couple by The Chronologists, but it's really hard to tell based on the documentation.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EpiGenetik

16 Apr 2018

I'd be thinking about setting up alt mode samples in the NN-XT or Kong, and have silence as some of the samples, 1 for each "block" if you will. :)

guitfnky

16 Apr 2018

thanks for the suggestion, EpiGenetik; unfortunately, that wouldn't work for me. I'm building this with the Addictive Drums 2 VST as my base drum instrument.

I've found an inelegant hack to sort of approximate what I'm looking for; I added a Dual Arpeggio Player, set the pattern to one step, and that allows me to limit the number of concurrent notes to four. I'm still hoping someone can point me to a Rack Extension that can do this, though. there's no easy way to control which four notes it lets through.

I know Dual Arpeggio works low to high, so I could probably reconfigure my kit to put the kit pieces I want to have highest priority at the lower end, but that would ultimately be a huge pain, since I would also have to reconfigure my MIDI controller pads, and undo anything/reconfigure again if I ever want to use an electronic kit to control them.

emilng

17 Apr 2018

If you can use the gate outs from kong to trigger your drums you can put a scales and chords player on kong, place both inside of a combinator and then map a rotary in the combinator to the custom scale parameter of the scales and chords player. Turning the rotary changes the notes in your custom scale which limits which drums get triggered.

Jagwah

17 Apr 2018

guitfnky wrote:
16 Apr 2018
so, I want to be able to send up to 16 concurrent gates into the RE, but then limit how many of those are actually let through. is there something like that I should be looking at?
This one might do the job: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... cv-switch/

You can connect up to eight gate inputs per device, and you can automate which one is sent through the output. So maybe a couple of these with some creative routing could do the task?

Catblack

17 Apr 2018

emilng wrote:
17 Apr 2018
If you can use the gate outs from kong to trigger your drums you can put a scales and chords player on kong, place both inside of a combinator and then map a rotary in the combinator to the custom scale parameter of the scales and chords player. Turning the rotary changes the notes in your custom scale which limits which drums get triggered.
This won't work well. The custom scale parameter is a 12 bit value, having a range between 0 and 4095. The combi's dial goes from 0 to 127.

I've got a combi that does it here, and a bit more discussion (with a randomizing combi) here. That custom scale parameter is probably the least friendly parameter in anything on the rack. It took me weeks to finally figure out how to do it.

Anyhow, for this thread, perhaps this RE would do what guitfnky wants to do? Though I'm not sure how it behaves in a combi. (Perhaps not too well, not sure.) https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... out-panel/
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Mich01

17 Apr 2018

Maybe Distributor (Blamsoft) can be of any help for you. It can send one gate/note CV per note-on to up to 8 different devices. So every new key-strike triggers another of those devices.
Greetz Michel

Jagwah

17 Apr 2018

Mich01 wrote:
17 Apr 2018
Maybe Distributor (Blamsoft) can be of any help for you. It can send one gate/note CV per note-on to up to 8 different devices. So every new key-strike triggers another of those devices.
Greetz Michel
Distributor only has one gate and CV input so it wouldn't really work in this case, cool device though! :)

guitfnky

17 Apr 2018

I've downloaded the demo of Mesher to see if that might work for me (thanks, Catblack). I actually might see if Distributor could work...if I can use separate instances of Distributor to identify when to allow a gate out for each individual kit piece, that should theoretically do the trick.

guitfnky

17 Apr 2018

oh wait, I see what you're saying now...yeah, I don't think Distributor will be able to do it. I might check it out anyway; who knows what I might figure out. :)

Catblack

18 Apr 2018

guitfnky wrote:
17 Apr 2018
I've downloaded the demo of Mesher to see if that might work for me (thanks, Catblack). I actually might see if Distributor could work...if I can use separate instances of Distributor to identify when to allow a gate out for each individual kit piece, that should theoretically do the trick.
How does Mesher work in a combi? Can you turn junctions on or off from the combi programmer?
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

guitfnky

19 Apr 2018

Catblack wrote:
18 Apr 2018
guitfnky wrote:
17 Apr 2018
How does Mesher work in a combi? Can you turn junctions on or off from the combi programmer?
I haven’t actually played around with it too much, but I just checked, and yes, the junction controls are accessible via the combi programmer.

• Information