Melodyne style RE which output Gate,Note,Vel and amp?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Would you get a Poly Audio to split double CV transcriber as a RE?

Yes, blindfolded.
60%
No, I would use melodyne and forget live stuff.
20%
No, other reasons.
20%

Total votes: 5
Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2018

How many people would like to a Polyphonic Melodyne style RE that output splitted Gate and notes?

This has been discussed already in other posts, with keywords MIDI TRANSCRIBE, see post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7491162&p=220101&hi ... BE#p220101
I have some ideas on how to translate pitch to note, and env to trig gate, so to have gate and cv from a single audio source,
in mono.
Polymode is another realm altogether, I was wondering if there are any projects to make a Poly transcriber RE.
I also have some ideas in making a huge combi that could split the whole note range to single cv signals, some devices like the TM-1 trigger Multiplexer, the poly capabilities of the new Alpha Poseidon, Neptune pitch out, could do it together, road testing ahead....

In the meanwhile, I'm just curious if other musicians are interested in such a device.

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2018

I just found out https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ontroller/ is available as RE, testing it right now.

Loque

11 Apr 2018

Re8et wrote:
11 Apr 2018
I just found out https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ontroller/ is available as RE, testing it right now.
Not sure if that is what you are looking for, the description of this device confuses me. I thought you want an audio pitch detector to cv notes? I played a while back with neptune and wanted a pitch detection/correction note output. This would allow me to automatically play a synth with the right notes, eg for a vocoder and probably other stuff. I created a case for that at PH, but i think they never gonna do that... But it would be so easy to add... Its just a cv ouput of data they already have.
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

11 Apr 2018

I think there's a misunderstanding of what some things are here. For one, Melodyne is not a real time pitch plugin. Currently there are two ways of accomplishing this (both monophonic however). Either 1, use the audio to midi function built into Reason or 2 use Bitspeek https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/bitspeek/. For most uses monophonic is probably all that's needed for audio control of a synth.

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2018

This is my experimental combi, not working, for many reasons, it is just to show you guys what kind of idea I had in mind.
I've been trying other stuff, I will get on with bitspeek also, but the basic concept was that with Neptune It was possible to detect a single note
and trig consquently for that specific note an isolated cv signal indipendently.

tm-1 is useful for my purpose of sending specific notes from the amp envelope, use the pitch would require further cabling for to have an appropriate note cv out.

It isn't working, but here is, it is not set to work only mono, so there is a bit of confusion on that also...:
AUDIO TO MIDI TRANSCRIBER [TM-1].zip
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2018

Loque wrote:
11 Apr 2018
Re8et wrote:
11 Apr 2018
Not sure if that is what you are looking for, the description of this device confuses me. I thought you want an audio pitch detector to cv notes? I played a while back with neptune and wanted a pitch detection/correction note output. This would allow me to automatically play a synth with the right notes, eg for a vocoder and probably other stuff. I created a case for that at PH, but i think they never gonna do that... But it would be so easy to add... Its just a cv ouput of data they already have.
It's not useful for this, I found out, I'm trying to understand how ES-4 work, which is only available as VST. I thought it was bi-directional, but it isn't.

Yes, that is what I'm trying to achieve, althought I do not know how to divide the note scaling before the Neptune. I created the combi with the purpose to cover all notes from C0 to B6, but even on one octave range, the read out does not seem to work.

I did not know of the Audio to midi completely before some other mentioned, but your's the nearest depiction, the right note to trig a single cv.
I also completely forgot about Bitspeek, which has the signal anaylisis output with both gate, note and pitch,so thank you both, Qvpro and Loque.

Re8et
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2018

Put in another way. I would like to sample a live drum session, and translate the recorded audio into midi.
In a drum recording session, I could get a microphone for each tom, bd, hats, rim, bells, etc.
I would then record audio into separate channels, use the bitspeek to analyze realtime the audio input, and then route the signal to a
virtual instrument, and record the midi for each channel.
If I have just one microphone, in the overlapping of bd and hats, snares and rim, I would just get one note. Mono.
What melodyne does, it analyze a whole arrangement, like bitspeek does, but output a polyphonic midi. I used it a bit to create some midi transcription I would like to use for creating remixes, all envs are delayed, it's really a mess to use it, especially if distorted guitars are involved. You will have then to divide the midi in different sections, isolate the drum parts, the voice parts, every instruments to its own midi track. Then fix envelopes.

Ideally a RE Melodyne "clone" should have multiple gate, notes, pitch, trigger, vel output.
Ideally every channel should have a calibration input, to teach each channel to read out only that frequence; timbre; adjustable tone range...

Just think a male voice and a female voice, each with a distinguished timbre. The device learn the minimum and maximum pitch, or calibrate.
Then when they sing the partials overlap, and create other frequencies, but the device can retain the timbre learned and translate the two voices out to separate cv outs.

Bitpeek can not learn timbre, it does not calibrate, it also mono, but that is not the real problem... with separate mics, its super fine, for drums.

I hope to have made my initial thought more clear.

ps
The note filtering I was talking about initially, can be done in the combinator, if needed.

QVprod

15 Apr 2018

Re8et wrote:
15 Apr 2018
Put in another way. I would like to sample a live drum session, and translate the recorded audio into midi.
In a drum recording session, I could get a microphone for each tom, bd, hats, rim, bells, etc.
I would then record audio into separate channels, use the bitspeek to analyze realtime the audio input, and then route the signal to a
virtual instrument, and record the midi for each channel.
If I have just one microphone, in the overlapping of bd and hats, snares and rim, I would just get one note. Mono.
What melodyne does, it analyze a whole arrangement, like bitspeek does, but output a polyphonic midi. I used it a bit to create some midi transcription I would like to use for creating remixes, all envs are delayed, it's really a mess to use it, especially if distorted guitars are involved. You will have then to divide the midi in different sections, isolate the drum parts, the voice parts, every instruments to its own midi track. Then fix envelopes.
Actually melodyne will not give you the individual notes to every instrument in a full arrangement. Used on drums, it will still be monophonic and will require manual moving of drum hits if you're using it on drums that aren't mic'd separately. It will work as you say on multiple voices (singing different notes) or a single polyphonic instrument. The issue with it being a RE is that this isn't a real-time process. Imho you're better off just getting melodyne and using it to convert a polyphonic instrument to midi.

I didn't realize you also wanted this process for drums. I would not have suggested Bitspeek for that. converting drum loops to rex slices would be better. Something like Regroover would be perfect. https://accusonus.com/products/regroover.

There are just some processes that don't work well in the concept of a rack device.

Re8et
Competition Winner

07 May 2018

QVprod wrote:
15 Apr 2018

Actually melodyne will not give you the individual notes to every instrument in a full arrangement. Used on drums, it will still be monophonic and will require manual moving of drum hits if you're using it on drums that aren't mic'd separately. It will work as you say on multiple voices (singing different notes) or a single polyphonic instrument. The issue with it being a RE is that this isn't a real-time process. Imho you're better off just getting melodyne and using it to convert a polyphonic instrument to midi.

I didn't realize you also wanted this process for drums. I would not have suggested Bitspeek for that. converting drum loops to rex slices would be better. Something like Regroover would be perfect. https://accusonus.com/products/regroover.

There are just some processes that don't work well in the concept of a rack device.
Regroover is freaking awesome!!!! I just watched the presentation of it, brilliant concept, I'm curios about the audio out implementation in the reason VST rack. Sheeeez!!!

A visualization of the process involved, for those that would like to create some.
Typical_cnn.png
Typical_cnn.png (123.67 KiB) Viewed 756 times

For live function, WIDI system has poly sensors too, but apparently not working in real time. :(
Melodyne does that too, just with different algorithms, plus it works as vst.

• Information