vapourware ゛わル

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

29 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Apr 2018
joeyluck wrote:
28 Apr 2018
It has been known for some time that ujam developed the IDT. They licensed it to Propellerhead. Propellerhead contracted them to do this, so Propellerhead of course did play a part in the making of the IDT, and in essence of being the contractors, they made it happen.

Peter Gorges of ujam is a member of ReasonTalk and talked to us when we inquired back in 2015.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7492208&p=236900&hilit=idt#p236900
Cool, thanks for the link - contrary to popular belief, I don't know if this is widely known. ;) As much as I lurk around here, I missed that thread. :lol:

I guess the important part is:
Yes, IDT was built by us [UJam] and licensed to Propellerhead. It was a smart and visionary move on their end to contract this out, as it didn't bind any resources in Propellerhead, and helped them getting it quicker as we had experience with sample engines (Hypersonic - Steinberg, Structure - Digidesign). 3rd parties can pick it up and build sample-based, scripted REs without getting slowed down by having to build an engine every time. Hydronexius is a very good example imho.
Yes, the important part is the quote I linked to haha

jayhosking

29 Apr 2018

nickb523 wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Here is a very quick and dirty patching demonstration.

Sounds great!

nickb523
RE Developer

29 Apr 2018

;)

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

nickb523 wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Here is a very quick and dirty patching demonstration. Please note that the capture is really not the greatest, there is significant artifacting at the start of the video when the OSC's are raw, it doesn't sound like that normally. The video should give you some insight into how Colossus works, what it looks like in the rack, and what is possible overall.

This was all recorded in one take, so it's a patch in 10 mins or so -

Cheers,

Nick
Great little ambient piece to show off a lovely patch.

On the UI side, I think I've decided what is really irking me about the oscillator section and that is that there are 7(!) different knob types. At least four of those could probably all be the same part library knob and it would look much less busy.

Softphonics

30 Apr 2018

For anyone who was waiting to hear some patches / sound here is a video.

There is over 400 patches in the factory bank so I couldn't do them all, so just a random selection

----
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

EnochLight

30 Apr 2018

This seems like an instrument that could benefit a great deal from a mod matrix and changeable panels. Any plans to add those?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Softphonics

30 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Apr 2018
This seems like an instrument that could benefit a great deal from a mod matrix and changeable panels. Any plans to add those?
Hey Enochlight

It was designed with a LFO & Envelope matrix which have multiple destinations and they differ per oscillator also. Reason only allows for certain amount of destinations anyway and there is far more than possible in colossus. Colossus is a big boy. So the decision was made to do things a bit differently for the purpose of sound.
Certain ones are controllable from the device, the rest can be done in a combi. But to be honest, there was never any intent to make this work the way other synths do, that would be a pointless exercise. It was designed around the sound it creates if you get me? It was planned this way. And to achieve that the structure needed to be slightly different.
Different is good if you embrace it. But you can only tell that after you use it, hence why I put a half hour video of some patches up to keep people informed until then. As it sits, this synth can do so much more than most "Sound wise" Remember its about the sound it can create. With 5 DSP based oscillators and a separate Sample based oscillator mixed in for good measure.
The thing is though, If we put a matrix in that couldn't cover all destinations then people would say, Why you do that?
I mean since the synth was leaked, People have questioned things like, Why is the gold panel not silver?...
The guy looking for GUI design work, Why are there different knobs?
Why doesn't it do this or that, why doesn't it look like X... So it is impossible to please everyone.
It will please people looking for a synth that makes a vast array of sound who are not worried about the color or the font type etc..

The one thing I do know and the 15 dedicated Reason users who have come the journey with this synth build is that is is all "about the sound"
So there was huge input from 15 longstanding members of the reason community.
{{Enochlight you actually turned down an offer a few months back to be one of the 15 }}

And by the way to the 15 guys that came along and tested and suggested and made patches from the early days of this build as we went along, you are top people, thank you for everything! You know how much I appreciate you We created a monster :)

If anyone is interested in the sound, the patch demo is above in the thread.
Cheers

Andrew
------

Soeno

30 Apr 2018

nice patches, can it be collapsed, if i only want to use the presets?

Softphonics

30 Apr 2018

Soeno wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Yes collapsed you can scroll presets absolutely :)

Thank you Soeno
------

nickb523
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

Soeno wrote:
30 Apr 2018
You can collapse it like most other synths and the preset navigation is there. There are also included combinators that are designed in such a way that you can swap out the patches and do a bit of tweaking to create your own "new" sounds easily. If you've used any of the SKP ReFills the combis are near identical.

EnochLight

30 Apr 2018

Softphonics wrote:
30 Apr 2018
{{Enochlight you actually turned down an offer a few months back to be one of the 15 }}
Yeah I remember; my plate was (is) just way too full, but it sounds like you got a great bunch of peeps to help out. Looking forward to your release - good luck!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Soeno

30 Apr 2018

If you've used any of the SKP ReFills the combis are near identical.
thanks, will try 2

Softphonics

30 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Softphonics wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Yeah I remember; my plate was (is) just way too full, but it sounds like you got a great bunch of peeps to help out. Looking forward to your release - good luck!
Thanks man,

Take it easy
------

electrofux

30 Apr 2018

Is the Master Filter an "end filter" or a per voice Filter?

And are there labels planned for the FX knobs or tooltips only?

nickb523
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

electrofux wrote:
30 Apr 2018

The master filter is indeed an additional "end filter". The per voice filters are to the right of the envelopes.

Honestly, i only just noticed that there were no labels on some of the FX units, so Softphonics will be able to answer that better than i can.

Here is a good close up of the beast in the rack -

Softphonics

30 Apr 2018

electrofux wrote:
30 Apr 2018

Yes as Nick says the Master Filter is an End Filter (multimode) for all inclusive filtering
Each Oscillator has its own individual filter too (Also multimode) for individual filtering

The master filter is also controllable via CV
filter cv.PNG
filter cv.PNG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 4426 times

Stompbox style fx, - it was debatable if all them should have a label, i know when i stomp my foot i don't bend down to read the labels first. so I only gave some for more realism.
the tooltip shows what they are when starting out, I suppose like Nick i don't notice because i have become familiar with use.
------

nickb523
RE Developer

30 Apr 2018

:thumbs_up: :)

miscend

25 May 2018

Nick is this synth still coming out?

nickb523
RE Developer

25 May 2018

At the moment it doesn't look likely. :(

However (on a more positive note). I sampled all the patches for use in future.

If it's done and not coming out, then i'll put out a freebie ReFill most likely based on Grain.

Time will tell here as i don't know what the hell is going on.

:)

Loque

25 May 2018

nickb523 wrote:
25 May 2018
At the moment it doesn't look likely. :(

However (on a more positive note). I sampled all the patches for use in future.

If it's done and not coming out, then i'll put out a freebie ReFill most likely based on Grain.

Time will tell here as i don't know what the hell is going on.

:)
Uh...do not do this. Maybe there were samples used that were under copyright.
Reason12, Win10

nickb523
RE Developer

25 May 2018

Loque wrote:
25 May 2018
Released in the freebie manner it will be fine. It will be samples that have been synthesized and then re-synthesized again... and free to boot.

That is 100% fair game and the least i could do for leading the community on a wild goose chase.

Let's see how it all pans out first. ;)

esselfortium

25 May 2018

nickb523 wrote:
25 May 2018
Loque wrote:
25 May 2018
Released in the freebie manner it will be fine. It will be samples that have been synthesized and then re-synthesized again... and free to boot.

That is 100% fair game and the least i could do for leading the community on a wild goose chase.

I wouldn't chance it, personally. Rereleasing someone else's commercial product (as in, samples from NI or wherever) without their permission is still illegal even you're not charging money for it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

nickb523
RE Developer

25 May 2018

esselfortium wrote:
25 May 2018
I wouldn't chance it, personally. Rereleasing someone else's commercial product (as in, samples from NI or wherever) without their permission is still illegal even you're not charging money for it.
We'll see what happens with the debacle and then proceed from there. :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

26 May 2018

nickb523 wrote:
25 May 2018
Loque wrote:
25 May 2018

A sample resynthesized will likely be under copyright. Just because it's released free doesn't make it legal unless permission has been given from the copyright holder. Sure, you could run the orignal sample through enough processes it'd be so hard to prove any link to a commercial library anyone could get away with it, and let's face facts, a few probably do on all plugin formats. However, I think at this point any use of his work based on knowing he's ripping most/all of it, will be seen as legitimising it. And this even stretches to his non-sampled projects.

In the conversation I had with him last week, in hindsight, it's fascinating in talking about Colossus, he had no pride whatsoever about producing that content at all. It was straight into the amount of content, "oh it's got choirs, there's over 5GB of content". No passion about the recording processes, the sampling processes. If it was legit I'd be chomping at the proverbial fucking bit to tell people all about how it was put together, because that's the fun part, that's the effort, that's the job. I'd be very intererested to see some of those Choir samples if any beta testers still have it installed and can archive a few so some comparisons can be run, but I suppose if there's any choirs in the main NI Kontakt library, it's a fair bet they'll come from there.

I should also note he called all his customers "idiots" for being dumb about not knowing how easy it was to produce IDT/GE devices, and admitted he was lazy and it was all about as much money for as little work as possible. True story. :( (I posted it on Slack yesterday, I admit I shouldn't have done that, but I was a rather angry,).

Ermitage

26 May 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
26 May 2018
I should also note he called all his customers "idiots" for being dumb about not knowing how easy it was to produce IDT/GE devices, and admitted he was lazy and it was all about as much money for as little work as possible. True story. :( (I posted it on Slack yesterday, I admit I shouldn't have done that, but I was a rather angry,).
I'm sorry, but he does have a point. He shat out something like 4-6 REs in what? 3 months? All of them with GUIs that looked like something you'd find in an alpha build. I was actually offended when I saw the preview of Colossus. It was very clear that fuck-all effort had gone into those.

• Information