VSTs just further validate REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

If equivalent, do you prefer Rack Extensions over VST?

Yes
82%
No
10%
No Preference
8%

Total votes: 84
Zac

03 Apr 2018

Imagine a remote and right now improbable situation: All VSTs are also available as rack extensions. Would you prefer the rack extension (reason only) over the all DAW compatible vst?

antic604

03 Apr 2018

It's only a yes/no question if extended with another one - is Reason your only/main DAW? If it was my only DAW and both versions were identical in terms of features & performance, I'd *always* prefer RE over the VST because of integration and license / update management.

For the time being and in my situation, it's a NO.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

Depends on the device.

By default I'd go for the VST that I can load in other DAWs, but if there's anything Reason specific then I'd go for the RE.

fieldframe
RE Developer

03 Apr 2018

It's an interesting thought experiment, but I would argue that the formats are different enough that many, if not most plugins could never really be "equivalent" between VST and RE versions.

VST has its advantages and RE has its advantages, and having *both* of them is one of the best decisions Propellerhead ever made. VST alone would have left the rack to stagnate, while RE alone was keeping Reason isolated from the rest of the world of music production.

QVprod

03 Apr 2018

The differences between them really aren't that huge. In fact, most of the differences are more about Reason's workflow than anything else.

EdGrip

03 Apr 2018

Given the choice, if it's the kind of device where changing parameters is likely to be part of the music (synths, filters, that kind of thing) it's nice to have it there in front of you in the rack with CV built in.
More functional set-and-forget devices where it doesn't matter so much, like effects, I tend to prefer VST - less anxiety about the investment in REs if I ever get another DAW that way, and more options.
So, bit of both, depends on the type of thing.

Oquasec

03 Apr 2018

Besides the feel and syncing ability I guess there isn't much of a difference.
AAX, Re and vst their own thing.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Psuper

03 Apr 2018

I can't imagine any long-term Reason user preferring VST over native RE (unless they think Reason is dying or like Antic stated). Just from supporting the RE devs who supported us alone its worth it.
Last edited by Psuper on 03 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Zac

03 Apr 2018

Since i asked the question and answered yes: i much prefer REs. I don’t like the pop out window for vsts (still glad to have them) and i much prefer automating REs. They never crash. Oh... and they always retain their saved settings.

I have had issues internet connection wise but that's cause I'm on mobile connection. Otherwise the authorizer rocks compared with vsts. I just question why the licence file needs to be so big (Mb)? I have no idea how it works but i suspect its size is almost like redownlownloading all REs?

Loque

03 Apr 2018

They won't ever be equal, because we all would expect at least CV ins and outs. But just for the sake of sync i prefer RE
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

03 Apr 2018

As much as I miss uhe plugins I could honestly make do without zebra because of thor.
I gravitate more towards integrated ecosystems for convenience.

When necessary I load up the dotted oreo section in reaper.
Producer/Programmer.

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

Oquasec wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Reason, Reaper & Protools exclusively.
What happened to Reason and Ableton exclusively? I thought you were done switching for good? :)

Oquasec

03 Apr 2018

Reaper & Protools changed my mind.
Producer/Programmer.

EdGrip

03 Apr 2018

Why's protools good?

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

EdGrip wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Why's protools good?
I like the way the timeline and channel strip behaves. Overall it's just smooth to work with.

I was actually going to fork out the cash to get Protools, ... but that same week Record was announced ;)

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I can't imagine any long-term Reason user preferring VST over native RE (unless they think Reason is dying or like Antic stated). Just from supporting the RE devs who supported us alone its worth it.
I'm a long-term Reason user (since 2.5) and I voted NO because I don't want to be handcuffed to Reason. And I love everything U-he puts out, so...
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Oquasec

03 Apr 2018

EdGrip wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Why's protools good?
Well, Reaper or protools can do things very well.
Lots of precount options and wait for midi, tons of customization, built in notation editor, themes on themes on themes on themes, vst without jbridge, basically just tons of things you should never expect reason to have ever and vice-versa.
Producer/Programmer.

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2018

I voted yes, I definitely prefer Re, however that's because I currently use Reason only. But I plan on buying a Macbook Pro when they get updated next and start using Logic as well, so I have been on the fence regarding the latest Kuassa sale. Do I get the Re, which I'd probably prefer, or the VST/AU that I could use in both programs?? .. In the end this will probably mean I won't end up getting either.

Zac

03 Apr 2018

Steedus wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I voted yes, I definitely prefer Re, however that's because I currently use Reason only. But I plan on buying a Macbook Pro when they get updated next and start using Logic as well, so I have been on the fence regarding the latest Kuassa sale. Do I get the Re, which I'd probably prefer, or the VST/AU that I could use in both programs?? .. In the end this will probably mean I won't end up getting either.
Indecision is a batch ;)

jlgrimes

03 Apr 2018

I voted no preference. Both have their benefits.

REs are wonderful in how they perfectly integrate in Reason. There are plenty of cool REs that are unique to the Reason environment as well.

VSTS on the other hand are great if you want to get a more “unReasonlike” workflow into Reason such as programs with various windows and less “analog” GUIs. Certain VSTis like Kontakt, Geist, FL, Maschine comes to mind.

ltbrunt00

03 Apr 2018

I love RE's and would always opt for the RE over VST if possible.

With that being said I have spent more money on VST's due to overall cost of VST instruments. If your into orchestral instruments your only real choice is VST.

Depending on the type of arrangement my only choice is to use mostly VST instruments.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Oquasec

03 Apr 2018

Reason, for a long time only natively supported Re, acoustic instruments, hardware devices & Refills (Sample Libraries or synth patches in little cubes to use to either supplement vsts or in place of them) then later on version 9 natively supported em without using rewire cuz people were basically like ok it's time to have an option of not rewiring for basic vst usage :P whether or not vsts are necessary is pretty much based on what the producer is doing yes.
Producer/Programmer.

kitekrazy

03 Apr 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I love RE's and would always opt for the RE over VST if possible.

With that being said I have spent more money on VST's due to overall cost of VST instruments. If your into orchestral instruments your only real choice is VST.

Depending on the type of arrangement my only choice is to use mostly VST instruments.
I wouldn't use Reason for orchestra VSTs either.

NekujaK

04 Apr 2018

I prefer to make my plugin purchases as future-proof as possible, so VSTs always get the nod. Someday (although it's hard to imagine) Reason might not be my chosen DAW anymore, and I want to be able to continue using my favorite plugins.

Also, I do a lot of video work, and my NLE accepts VSTs, but not REs, naturally.

And one more thing... there aren't enough REs out there to support my plugin-buying addiction!! :)
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Nerveclinic

04 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
03 Apr 2018
I am a long term user (Since release of version 3) The RE can only be used in Reason. Some of us are using Ableton Live also to try and pull together live performances, so that would be a long term Reason user would want a VST.

Answer No

• Information