Reasonistas CoreReLation Phase Analyser (CORE)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

18 Apr 2018

Hey Noel, just now getting a chance to check this out! A few quick questions and feedback (hope you don't mind)…

First, about the Global Pan - seems to be acting more like a balance control than a pan, no?

I would expect a global pan to work like taking a left and right pan knob and putting them both left (when global pan is left) or both right (when global pan is right), correct?
But what I'm hearing is that when you pan left, the right channel TOTALLY disappears! Not sure the use of this, so thought I'd ask how you see this feature being used/useful?

Second, about the Monitor Mode. Why is there a delay between the left and right channel when you switch to either Left or Right monitor? When I switch to left, I hear the left signal in both channels with the right delayed by 17ms (at 44.1 sample rate), and the reverse is true when I switch to the right. What is the purpose of this effect?

Also, is there no way to view peak and VU by the same scale? You have VU with a 12 dB offset - can you at least change this? Finally, and this is semantics to be sure, but "phase invert" isn't really a thing even though it's sometimes still used. What you're doing is inverting polarity, not phase fwiw… https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/phase-invert/
Selig Audio, LLC

Reasonistas
RE Developer

20 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Hey Noel, just now getting a chance to check this out! A few quick questions and feedback (hope you don't mind)…
Hi Giles, thanks for checking out CORE and for your questions.

Q1.) First, about the Global Pan - seems to be acting more like a balance control than a pan, no? I would expect a global pan to work like taking a left and right pan knob and putting them both left (when global pan is left) or both right (when global pan is right), correct? But what I'm hearing is that when you pan left, the right channel TOTALLY disappears! Not sure the use of this, so thought I'd ask how you see this feature being used/useful?

A1.) Yes, the Global Pan is controlling balance on a stereo signal, but it is a pan when the signal is dual mono. This knob has dual function when used in conjunction with the LSR toggle switch as explained in our response to your second question.

Q2.) Second, about the Monitor Mode. Why is there a delay between the left and right channel when you switch to either Left or Right monitor? When I switch to left, I hear the left signal in both channels with the right delayed by 17ms (at 44.1 sample rate), and the reverse is true when I switch to the right. What is the purpose of this effect?

A2.) The Global Width Knob becomes a HAAS effect when the LSR Toggle Switch (Monitor Mode) is set to either Left (L) position or Right (R) position. You select either channel as a mono source and then apply HAAS so the opposite channel is delay offset to left source, so right channel is replaced with a left delayed source. Helpful when superwide stereo collapses poorly to mono, and you can 'semi' rebuild a pseudo stereo using a delayed but "in phase" signal (to create the haas effect using one channel left or right as the original source).

Q3.) Also, is there no way to view peak and VU by the same scale? You have VU with a 12 dB offset - can you at least change this?

A3.) This is by design.

Q4.) Finally, and this is semantics to be sure, but "phase invert" isn't really a thing even though it's sometimes still used. What you're doing is inverting polarity, not phase fwiw… https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/phase-invert/

A4.) Polarity Inversion when matched against phase rotated 180 degrees for a channel has the same effect (in our opinion). However, CORE’s Phase Invert is per channel so we are able to invert one side, while the SSL mixer phase invert is 'all or nothing' on one channel strip. To match CORE, you would need two mono channels and invert the polarity of one. Also, we felt the text “Invert Polarity” would have been too large for the GUI design, so opted for “Invert Phase” which as mentioned earlier (to us) means the same thing as a polarity inversion. Tomayto, Tomato… :D
ImageImageImage

selig
RE Developer

20 Apr 2018

Noel G. wrote:
20 Apr 2018
selig wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Hi Giles, thanks for checking out CORE and for your questions.

Q1.) First, about the Global Pan - seems to be acting more like a balance control than a pan, no? I would expect a global pan to work like taking a left and right pan knob and putting them both left (when global pan is left) or both right (when global pan is right), correct? But what I'm hearing is that when you pan left, the right channel TOTALLY disappears! Not sure the use of this, so thought I'd ask how you see this feature being used/useful?

A1.) Yes, the Global Pan is controlling balance on a stereo signal, but it is a pan when the signal is dual mono. This knob has dual function when used in conjunction with the LSR toggle switch as explained in our response to your second question.

Q2.) Second, about the Monitor Mode. Why is there a delay between the left and right channel when you switch to either Left or Right monitor? When I switch to left, I hear the left signal in both channels with the right delayed by 17ms (at 44.1 sample rate), and the reverse is true when I switch to the right. What is the purpose of this effect?

A2.) The Global Width Knob becomes a HAAS effect when the LSR Toggle Switch (Monitor Mode) is set to either Left (L) position or Right (R) position. You select either channel as a mono source and then apply HAAS so the opposite channel is delay offset to left source, so right channel is replaced with a left delayed source. Helpful when superwide stereo collapses poorly to mono, and you can 'semi' rebuild a pseudo stereo using a delayed but "in phase" signal (to create the haas effect using one channel left or right as the original source).

Q3.) Also, is there no way to view peak and VU by the same scale? You have VU with a 12 dB offset - can you at least change this?

A3.) This is by design.

Q4.) Finally, and this is semantics to be sure, but "phase invert" isn't really a thing even though it's sometimes still used. What you're doing is inverting polarity, not phase fwiw… https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/phase-invert/

A4.) Polarity Inversion when matched against phase rotated 180 degrees for a channel has the same effect (in our opinion). However, CORE’s Phase Invert is per channel so we are able to invert one side, while the SSL mixer phase invert is 'all or nothing' on one channel strip. To match CORE, you would need two mono channels and invert the polarity of one. Also, we felt the text “Invert Polarity” would have been too large for the GUI design, so opted for “Invert Phase” which as mentioned earlier (to us) means the same thing as a polarity inversion. Tomayto, Tomato… :D
Q1: A true global pan would be useful to me, global balance has no purpose I can imagine.
Q2: A way to monitor just one channel would be very useful to me, but haas effect has never worked for me on any projects over the years.
Q3: By Design: fair enough, but limits the usefulness for me as I prefer meters to have the ability to read actual levels first, and offset levels only if I so choose.
Q4: You're suggesting Phase and Polarity mean the same thing, and I'm saying they are not - agree to disagree.

Thanks for the quick response! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information