Softtube Amp Metering, what's it doing

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

20 Mar 2018

In the Reason manual no word on the metering which is used on Softube Amp. What's it doing? It seems to be measuring the output of the Amp. But the red light seems to make no sense since nothing is digitally overdriven? What's the use of it?

Loque

20 Mar 2018

Never cared much about that, but it might be a saturation indicator due to overdriven input/output signals.
Reason12, Win10

normen

20 Mar 2018

Yeah, its probably a clipping LED :) I always wondered why amps have no proper gain staging display. Nuno Bettencourts Randall has a proper Meter though :D

Then again guitar audio tech is strange anyway. Why isn't it a balanced connection - you already have both waves from the coil...

Marco Raaphorst

20 Mar 2018

normen wrote:
20 Mar 2018
Yeah, its probably a clipping LED :) I always wondered why amps have no proper gain staging display. Nuno Bettencourts Randall has a proper Meter though :D

Then again guitar audio tech is strange anyway. Why isn't it a balanced connection - you already have both waves from the coil...
clipping, so when the output goes above 0 db? Just to make sure the next device's input gets the right level?

I don;t understand. all Reason synth don't have a clipping meter for output. why does this Amp need one?

normen

20 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Mar 2018
clipping, so when the output goes above 0 db? Just to make sure the next device's input gets the right level?

I don;t understand. all Reason synth don't have a clipping meter for output. why does this Amp need one?
No, when the AMP clips, i.e. distorts :)

miscend

20 Mar 2018

When the LED goes red it means you are using it correctly as intended.

• Information