RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
aeox
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

Very cool.. Love the video as well.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... converter/

EdGrip

19 Mar 2018

Super cool. If I didn't have TAL Sampler I'd be all over this. Just need cyclic time-stretching in NN-19 and you're there!

QVprod

19 Mar 2018

Got to beta test this one. For such a simple device it's amazing at what it does. Anyone who's ever wanted to do the "Drake Sound" this is perfect for that as well.

Mr. Watts

20 Mar 2018

Very interested in this RE. Gotta admire the developers who make such niche products that are extremely valuable and convenient to some of us. Trialing as we speak and probably buying soon.

ProfessaKaos

20 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Got to beta test this one. For such a simple device it's amazing at what it does. Anyone who's ever wanted to do the "Drake Sound" this is perfect for that as well.
Definitely, the filter sounds great.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

ProfessaKaos

20 Mar 2018

I have always wanted a Akai S950 emulation. Thank you Mathieu Demange, really appreciate it.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

bsp

20 Mar 2018

Just for fun I tried to approximate the sound with other devices.
The closest I came was with an MClass EQ, the free Krush VST (by Tritik), and an instance of the D-Filter RE (which I can still recommend. I found the filter in the RX950 RE to sound quite similar, btw).
As sound sources I used a TR-707 sampleset + a Europa synth patch, and last but not least Pongasoft's A/B switch RE for toggling the processing chains.
Gonna spare you the sound samples since the D-Filter RE costs almost twice as much as this RE, anyway ;)
I also compared it to the Decimort 2 RE (and a couple of other bitcrushers/resamplers) but they gave quite different results (Decimort is still one of my favourite lo-fi plugins).

So, yes, very much appreciated, and 19 bucks is a really fair price.

Exowildebeest

20 Mar 2018

Cool, I'll definitely try this - I've been looking for something like this.

nickb523
RE Developer

20 Mar 2018

Any reason it increases the volume so much? - The default settings make everything super loud. :)

NaviRetlav

20 Mar 2018

I agree, the default settings should be set to neutral volume.
Please fix that.

Marco Raaphorst

20 Mar 2018

kills the high end straight away. LOVE this!

Akai for the win :D

Marco Raaphorst

20 Mar 2018

what if I want the VST + RE version? do I need to buy it two times? would not be so nice

EdGrip

20 Mar 2018

There's a VST version?

bsp

20 Mar 2018

yes there is.

I just talked to md. they are very relaxed about cross-upgrades and basically handle them the same way Synapse Software do -- send a proof of purchase and you'll get the VST as well.
We'll be happy to give you access to the VST/AU bundle, since, to us, you already bought the "product", and we don't intend to charge people for "variations".

miscend

20 Mar 2018

Is it as good as the Blamsoft one?
Last edited by miscend on 21 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

20 Mar 2018

miscend wrote:
20 Mar 2018
Is it as good advice the Blamsoft one?
What's the Blamsoft one?

Marco Raaphorst

21 Mar 2018

lovely non linear saturation

EdGrip

21 Mar 2018

Blamsoft make Resampler, which is a straight (but very tweakable) rate and bit crusher.
This seems to model all the audio effects of using an Akai S950 sampler. Input, AD/DA converters, bandwidth, output, filter.

So they're only loosely related products.

Zac

21 Mar 2018

I love products like this. Focused feature set; reasonable price; simple and attractive gui. Will try when i can afford to buy. I've been using decimort to get this 12bit sound but this looks more promising.

Hopefully there will always be an RE market for these focused products by independent devs. I hope the vst sells too but the vst fx market is so swamped. And there's an expectation of feature overload Imo.

EdGrip

21 Mar 2018

This is such a Reason device, I think. It perfectly fits the rack and hardware paradigm, and it's very true to the original ReBirth / Reason intent.
But then I also think it'll be a popular VST (assuming it's good - I haven't actually tried it yet!). There's always a market for focused devices with low CPU that do one thing well.

Data_Shrine

21 Mar 2018

What makes me curious is, since we can adjust bandwidth (which i assume is downsampling), what setting gives the sound of the Akai ? Is it the default setting ?

Listening to the demos, it seems to be doing something similar to when I send my sounds to my Korg ES-1 and then record straight back to the computer ! (except the volume going up) They become nastier, crunchy and have more presence. Will have to trial it when time allows.

Marco Raaphorst

21 Mar 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
21 Mar 2018
What makes me curious is, since we can adjust bandwidth (which i assume is downsampling), what setting gives the sound of the Akai ? Is it the default setting ?

Listening to the demos, it seems to be doing something similar to when I send my sounds to my Korg ES-1 and then record straight back to the computer ! (except the volume going up) They become nastier, crunchy and have more presence. Will have to trial it when time allows.
Audio bandwidth setting from original S950!

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
21 Mar 2018

The Akai could adjust the sample rate from 40kHz down to 7.5kHz, so I'm guessing that knob does the same - does it not read "Sample Rate" as you adjust it (shame if it doesn't, for those who are familiar with the original)?
So any setting is "the sound" of the original - just depends on which sound you're after! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

21 Mar 2018

amazing how when the peak stays the same, the RMS goes up. so the sound perception will be louder because of more complexity to signal without compression.

it is still amazes me that saturation adds more interesting tones to a signal.

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Mar 2018
amazing how when the peak stays the same, the RMS goes up. so the sound perception will be louder because of more complexity to signal without compression.

it is still amazes me that saturation adds more interesting tones to a signal.
What control on the RX950 does this? I want to check it out myself!!!

IMO saturation is the "salt" of the music world. A little bit will enhance almost any flavor, but too much and it just tastes "salty"…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information