RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

22 Mar 2018

mathieudemange wrote:Hi everyone,

Update version 1.0.3 is available and resolves the Output Level issue. Sorry again for the inconvenience. Time to sync your REs.

Cheers,

Mathieu
YAY! That was quick… ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Voyager

22 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
22 Mar 2018
I bought it. It's a great "more RMS and more sweetness device". Adds pressure to sound, more RMS in a unique way. Nice saturation and low tech data.
You said saturation. Did you tried Selig Coloring EQ saturation ? If so how does RX950 compare to Selig saturation ?

selig
RE Developer

22 Mar 2018

joeyluck wrote:
selig wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Quick sanity check…
The RX950 adds 9.25 dB of gain - are you suggesting the original S950 added that much gain as well? I'm pretty certain my S900 didn't add any gain by default. So yea, it's going to make your instruments sound louder for sure! ;)

Input in Blue, output in Yellow:
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 10.59.37 AM.png

That's my only disappointment with this otherwise stellar device. Additionally, it would have been nice to see the original input meter to help with intentional clipping for effect.

And although I have tons of sample from my S900 that already have "the sound", I'm sure to find many uses for this device in my rack! :)
There was a fix that is now available. This behavior wasn't intended and wasn't present during beta testing, but as Mathieu explained, was a bug introduced sometime during the acceptance process. I think what willbe is describing, is the use of the input gain knob, and the deliberate, manual adding of loudness.
Agreed - I should have added that it works very well for this task, something most S900/950 owners were familiar with (initially clipping the inputs when sampling). I first read about it in a Keyboard Mag article. Wrote a longer post mentioning all this on my iPad, then responded on my main computer (forgetting the original post). Anyway, fixed now! :)

Selig Audio, LLC

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2018

Was waiting for this beast for years (as a proud owner of a couple of s950)
And it sounds really close to my 2 old boys [emoji44][emoji9]

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Marco Raaphorst

22 Mar 2018

Voyager wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
22 Mar 2018
I bought it. It's a great "more RMS and more sweetness device". Adds pressure to sound, more RMS in a unique way. Nice saturation and low tech data.
You said saturation. Did you tried Selig Coloring EQ saturation ? If so how does RX950 compare to Selig saturation ?
Selig Coloring EQ is fantastic.

The RX950 is fantastic too

I love to have them both. RX950 is more digital (quatisation noise) and odd harmonics. Selig's EQ is the most flexible EQ I every worked with (the curves, the mid/side options, the quick master section) + superb saturation possibilities.

Voyager

22 Mar 2018

Didn't had time yet to try RX950 and Selig saturation is by far the best one i've heard so far. Curious to make the comparison.

Faastwalker

22 Mar 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Here's a short track using the RX950 on the entire track:

I used:
Kong (all synthetic drums)
Parsec

The audio chain:
Distillery > RX950 > Kuassa

I like the warmth it imparts, as well as the ease of use. In this case, it's got the sound I want, and few, concise knobs. Love it!
That sounds great. A bit BoCish, which I like. Going to be checking this RE after work today & over the weekend. From what I've heard so far & the fact it's only $19 & also that it looks like a perfect RE device that fits the rack like a glove .......... thinking I might be hitting the BUY button quite soon after the TRY button ;)

Marco Raaphorst

23 Mar 2018

I wrote a short review for it:
https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rx950-converter/

Will also do one on Selig's Coloring EQ soon!

mreese80

23 Mar 2018

mathieudemange wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Hi everyone,

Update version 1.0.3 is available and resolves the Output Level issue. Sorry again for the inconvenience. Time to sync your REs.

Cheers,

Mathieu
RX950 IN ACTION.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

nickb523
RE Developer

23 Mar 2018

Great stuff... Thank you for the update. :D

wendylou

24 Mar 2018

How does Decimort 2 bitcrusher compare to this?
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

wendylou wrote:
24 Mar 2018
With no disrespect intended - the RX950 is a tiny little piece of what Decimort 2 is. If you guys are really into these kinds of devices, you're missing out on the best device in its class, IMO. It even comes in an RE version for just $30 more. Worth it if you ask me.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 10.06.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 10.06.47 AM.png (897.34 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EdGrip

24 Mar 2018

Already have Decimort; will be buying RX950.

dustmoses

24 Mar 2018

RX950 captures the "old sampler" vibe better than decimort. Decimort2 is an essential RE for me though, it's powerful and sounds beautiful (if you find beauty in low bit/sample rate.) The pre-amp alone is killer on it.

dustmoses

24 Mar 2018

RX950 captures the "old sampler" vibe better than decimort. Decimort2 is an essential RE for me though, it's powerful and sounds beautiful (if you find beauty in low bit/sample rate.) The pre-amp alone is killer on it.

Edit: I couldn't choose just one without more RX950 experience.

At $19 RX950 is untouchable. Decimort2 I put on the same level, the other bitcrush RE are a notch down.

strangers
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

Very interested in giving this RE a spin. I like Decimort 2 a lot so it'll be interesting to see where each excels.

wendylou

24 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
24 Mar 2018
wendylou wrote:
24 Mar 2018
With no disrespect intended - the RX950 is a tiny little piece of what Decimort 2 is. If you guys are really into these kinds of devices, you're missing out on the best device in its class, IMO. It even comes in an RE version for just $30 more. Worth it if you ask me.
I own Decimort 2 RE and just played around with 12 bit mode, while adjusting many of the controls and the filter. Seems like it can do it all with its many controls, so I agree. I use to own an FZ-1 and FZ-20M and this does great emulations of those sounds. Also fun to sweep the filter and/or the frequency range for a neat effect.

Marco Raaphorst

24 Mar 2018

Is Demort also adding quantisation noise on low input and ODD harmonics and added rms value on a hotter input?

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2018

As for the the RX950/Decimort2 comparison, they achieve completely different sounds from my experience.

Both great devices in their own ways.

dustmoses

24 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
24 Mar 2018
As for the the RX950/Decimort2 comparison, they achieve completely different sounds from my experience.

Yeah I don't think I could decimort2 sounding like this (or the reverse much more so.)

Data_Shrine

26 Mar 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
22 Mar 2018
KirkMarkarian wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Here's a short track using the RX950 on the entire track:

I used:
Kong (all synthetic drums)
Parsec

The audio chain:
Distillery > RX950 > Kuassa

I like the warmth it imparts, as well as the ease of use. In this case, it's got the sound I want, and few, concise knobs. Love it!
That sounds great. A bit BoCish, which I like. Going to be checking this RE after work today & over the weekend. From what I've heard so far & the fact it's only $19 & also that it looks like a perfect RE device that fits the rack like a glove .......... thinking I might be hitting the BUY button quite soon after the TRY button ;)
Cool track.. you should try making it into a full song :)

I'm on the trial of the RX950 and boy, I do love it. It seems to eat up a lot of cpu but that's fine (maybe because I use it rewired and use many instances). I will purchase it soon ! I don't know how I lived without it so far. :P Putting some 12-Bit reduction on it (before or after) also seems to do wonders.

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Is Demort also adding quantisation noise on low input and ODD harmonics and added rms value on a hotter input?
Don’t know about noise, but as for the rest I guess that depends on what happens when you crank up the input (preamp). My guess is yes, but I don’t own Decimort.

Selig Audio, LLC

wendylou

26 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
24 Mar 2018

This is true. I played with Decimort 2 vs the RX950, at times achieving a close sonic match, and totally unable to match at other times. Clearly RX950 is modeling something distinct here.

Anyway, I was perusing some comments on another forum and someone remarked how they found it rather funny that modeling the S950 today is something we seek, i.e. to degrade high quality digital recordings, considering that back in the day, everyone wanted the S950 to keep sounding better than it was capable of at the time!

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2018

wendylou wrote:
26 Mar 2018
aeox wrote:
24 Mar 2018

This is true. I played with Decimort 2 vs the RX950, at times achieving a close sonic match, and totally unable to match at other times. Clearly RX950 is modeling something distinct here.

Anyway, I was perusing some comments on another forum and someone remarked how they found it rather funny that modeling the S950 today is something we seek, i.e. to degrade high quality digital recordings, considering that back in the day, everyone wanted the S950 to keep sounding better than it was capable of at the time!
Funny how that works isn't it? I guess it was only matter of time before people realized that sometimes things can be a little too clean or "sterile" as some would say. The RX950 really does add a lot of character from the noise and the saturation from the input gain. Very desirable sound!

• Information