Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
moneykube

20 Mar 2018

the gui is perfect... love it... like some sort of wood working hobby :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

bsp

20 Mar 2018

@JiggeryPokery:
one thing I noticed is that the synth tends to distort when you play chords (especially when the first and/or second resonators are turned up).
Lowering the output volume does not help in that case.
This only happens when one of the "line-out -> fx" or "cabinet -> fx" output modes is selected.
Would it be possible to add an input-gain knob for the FX section ? (and do you think this would solve the issue?)

..and - maybe this is asking too much - an audio-input would be lovely ;)
(for routing other signals through the cabinet and fx..)

to anyone trialing this synth:
don't miss the hidden "extras" and "di" menus/panels. I know I did yesterday.

WongoTheSane

20 Mar 2018

bsp wrote:
20 Mar 2018
And also the fact that you can switch between stepped and continuous for every front parameter. Amazing.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Mar 2018

bsp wrote:
20 Mar 2018
@JiggeryPokery:
one thing I noticed is that the synth tends to distort when you play chords (especially when the first and/or second resonators are turned up).
Lowering the output volume does not help in that case.
This only happens when one of the "line-out -> fx" or "cabinet -> fx" output modes is selected.
Would it be possible to add an input-gain knob for the FX section ? (and do you think this would solve the issue?)

Heh, yeah I intentionally wanted to keep the extra stuff a bit "hidden"; one of my favourite features, I love the hideable panels function of the SDK, even though it's a bit hard to work with from the 3D format, time invested in doing the GUI meant the results are still great.

There's extra distortion on all Resonators and Tones, separate to the amp drive, as controlled with the Drive parameter. These are there to reflect the fact all notes have their own vacuum tubes. It's subtle enough, I feel, when using 3 or 4 notes, but yes, when adding more notes it does create a lot of "warmth" ;) and I can understand there might be scenarios that's undesirable and you'd prefer to add distortion back externally later.

There is a plan to add a few extra waveforms (I'd like to adding some "bell" type tones, cos I think that would be interesting), and with the paging format it might be viable that I could add a third page of extras to adjust those individual drives on each Resonator and Tone, so you could add drive to just one tone alone, which might also be interesting. Color-ENovachord :lol:

bsp

20 Mar 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Mar 2018
There's extra distortion on all Resonators and Tones, separate to the amp drive, as controlled with the Drive parameter. These are there to reflect the fact all notes have their own vacuum tubes. It's subtle enough, I feel, when using 3 or 4 notes, but yes, when adding more notes it does create a lot of "warmth" ;) and I can understand there might be scenarios that's undesirable and you'd prefer to add distortion back externally later.
That's cool but not what I meant. It sounds to me as if the output-gain to the FX section is too high, i.e. the sound easily distorts when you play 3..4 note chords.
The workaround is to use the "line-out only" or "cabinet only" output modes, then process the sound with additional plugins but it would be nice if the builtin FX would also work with chords (hence the request for an FX input gain knob).
JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Mar 2018
There is a plan to add a few extra waveforms (I'd like to adding some "bell" type tones, cos I think that would be interesting), and with the paging format it might be viable that I could add a third page of extras to adjust those individual drives on each Resonator and Tone, so you could add drive to just one tone alone, which might also be interesting. Color-ENovachord :lol:
+1 for bell type tones !

The whole synth concept is very interesting and worth pursuing.

Any chance you'd add an audio input, at least for the cabinet ? it sounds fantastic!

Faastwalker

20 Mar 2018

Watched the SoundTestRoom video on YouTube earlier. Sounds fantastic. Think I'll be getting this one. Excellent ;)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

21 Mar 2018

bsp wrote:
20 Mar 2018
JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Mar 2018
That's cool but not what I meant. It sounds to me as if the output-gain to the FX section is too high, i.e. the sound easily distorts when you play 3..4 note chords.
The workaround is to use the "line-out only" or "cabinet only" output modes, then process the sound with additional plugins but it would be nice if the builtin FX would also work with chords (hence the request for an FX input gain knob).
JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Mar 2018
+1 for bell type tones !

The whole synth concept is very interesting and worth pursuing.

Any chance you'd add an audio input, at least for the cabinet ? it sounds fantastic!
No promises, but I'll look into both when I get the chance.

With the distortion there's a lot going on, so I'm not sure exactly where I could apply an extra "global" fade into the FX, because they're all parallel, and distortion is applied to each tone section independently (it's subtle in that there's no actual drive gain being applied there) , which is before the FX. Reducing the input into the splitter risks lowering the output too much out. So my gut feeling is that allowing control of individual distortion levels—and perhaps individual drive too for extra special fx!—in each tone is still the best approach as it will allow any/all tone tubes to be increased/reduced/disabled entirely, if at the expense of a little extra user complexity (but I'd update the true init to accomodate "all distortions off" if I went that route).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2018

Just finished a simple little tune using only this synth. All the reverbs come from the synth itself.

This really is a midrange synth. I used a little bit of EQ to try to enhance some of the higher mids in the lead, but really this synth hardly goes above 5 kHz :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2018

Definitely a nice character synth.
Love the drift option. That's a great feature for any synth imo, but especially for a synth like this.
I also like the fact that it looks different and the controls are different to most modern synthesizers.

Sometimes these limited instruments are the best for just coming up with stuff fast. I appreciate it even more right now since I've been stuck creatively lately. This thing made me finish a track in just two days.

Now the question is should I buy it or not? €39 is defintely a fair price imo. It's more a matter of how much will I end up using it?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Mar 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Mar 2018
Just finished a simple little tune using only this synth. All the reverbs come from the synth itself.

This really is a midrange synth. I used a little bit of EQ to try to enhance some of the higher mids in the lead, but really this synth hardly goes above 5 kHz :D

That's really very lovely indeed! :P

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Mar 2018

bsp wrote:
20 Mar 2018

I've got the audio inputs running; it's quite cool actually because it's before the splitter, so you can run ext. audio through the any or all of the six Resonators and Tones as well (I mean, you'd have to run through at least one active filter to hear anything, or Full Tone to hear the original).

PSoames

23 Mar 2018

Another neat RE from JP. This is right up my street.

But the patch names. By the time I'm finished laughing at the obscure references, I've forgotten what I was doing.

bsp

23 Mar 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Mar 2018
bsp wrote:
20 Mar 2018

I've got the audio inputs running; it's quite cool actually because it's before the splitter, so you can run ext. audio through the any or all of the six Resonators and Tones as well (I mean, you'd have to run through at least one active filter to hear anything, or Full Tone to hear the original).
oh wow, that really exceeds my expectations! looking forward to the update!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Mar 2018

bsp wrote:
23 Mar 2018
JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Mar 2018

oh wow, that really exceeds my expectations! looking forward to the update!
Testing the tube edit update; it's quite versatile. With all Tube levels (and the other Drive parameter on the first Extras page) at zero, with the DI output, there's no extra distortion applied, although there's a bit of additional distortion applied when using the miked cabinet.
nova_tube_page.PNG
nova_tube_page.PNG (741.34 KiB) Viewed 3577 times

Soeno

25 Mar 2018

another video

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Mar 2018

This is the most JP instrument yet: Obscure, weird, and awesome.

Also, if you had told me there was a rack extension coming out that had lathed oak feet attached, I would not have expected it to have this great a UI. This is a case study in translating an instrument that is totally foreign to Reason's rack concept into something completely at home in it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2018

Since there aren't many demos of this synth yet I'll post this here.

I just finished a second track using this thing. Every sound comes from the SuperNova synth.
This track really shows off the delay and reverb section included in this synth which is what inspired this track to begin with.

Auryn

26 Mar 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Mar 2018
Since there aren't many demos of this synth yet I'll post this here.

I just finished a second track using this thing. Every sound comes from the SuperNova synth.
This track really shows off the delay and reverb section included in this synth which is what inspired this track to begin with.

That's a nice dreamy track... I haven't had much time to try this synth yet but my quick review of the patches also gave a positive impression of the included FX. The GUI is just great, really refreshing to see some use of colour in a landscape dominated mettalic and charcoal. Almost worth the asking price alone
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

sublunar

28 Mar 2018

Gosh dangit I love Jiggery Pokery instruments. I've already got several and been meaning to pick up the JPS but now there's this. Take my money!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

29 Mar 2018

nova_tube_page.PNG
nova_tube_page.PNG (741.34 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Version 1.1 is now available.

I have extended the $39 introductory offer to April 18th to accommodate this update.

Additions/Fixes
  • External Audio can now be input into parallel Resonators/Tone filters, Cabinet and FX
  • New page of Extras: "Vacuum Tubes" (shown above). Drive and Level of tube distortion can be applied to individual Resonators and the Deep and Brilliant tones
  • Surge limiter is now set to "Soft", not "Clip", to prevent unwanted extra distortion

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
29 Mar 2018
Version 1.1 is now available.

I have extended the $39 introductory offer to April 18th to accommodate this update.

Additions/Fixes
  • External Audio can now be input into parallel Resonators/Tone filters, Cabinet and FX
  • New page of Extras: "Vacuum Tubes" (shown above). Drive and Level of tube distortion can be applied to individual Resonators and the Deep and Brilliant tones
  • Surge limiter is now set to "Soft", not "Clip", to prevent unwanted extra distortion
That's awesome. Great update.

I saved a string/pad patch the other day and I got some unwanted distortion. After this update it's gone. :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

29 Mar 2018

Noel Gallagher approved!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bsp

31 Mar 2018

Great news!
Thanks a lot for the update, will try it out right away!

(a short while later)
Many thanks for fixing the distortion issue (can confirm it's gone now).

I am really impressed by the update (just tested it with some different signals, some Synthmaster One patches, Humana Vocal Ensemble, and currently a 101 bassline).

It sounds bloody awesome, and the sound shaping possibilities are vast!

The new tube feature is super useful.

It's also great that the external audio processing does not seem to add latency (have not noticed any phasing when mixing the processed signal with the original one via Groovy Melon's "morfin" crossfader).

(2h later)
okay, I originally intended to record some A/B sound examples that demonstrate the new audio-input processing features but I ended up with this jam instead:

no fancy processing, just a compressor on the bassline and a couple of Selig Gain instances. this is what it sounds like without SuperNova. Please listen to the SC track first.
Ingredients:
- Reason 10
- three instances of SuperNova (also used for FX)
- a MIDI tracker
- Redrum with a 707 kit
- TAL 101 VST
- Synthmaster One VST (plays a very basic synth wave that could've come any synth)
- Humana Vocal Ensemble (comes with R10)
- C1L1 compressor RE
- lots of MIDI controller remote overrides

This is an unedited live take. Was a lot of fun, please enjoy!

motuscott

01 Apr 2018

Audio input is great. All hail the Poke.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information