Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Soeno

19 Mar 2018

esselfortium

19 Mar 2018

I had the opportunity to try out an in-progress version of the Champagne SuperNova while it was in development. In addition to sounding great, it's an extremely fun synth to explore and experiment with. If you like unique synths that will lead you to new places, this and the JPS Harmonic Synth are both fantastic and well worth looking into!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Zac

19 Mar 2018

Features: 3D modelled GUI ... heh heh ;)

Love my Harmonic Synth so look forward to trying it out. Nice pedal graphics!

eusti

19 Mar 2018

esselfortium wrote:
19 Mar 2018
I had the opportunity to try out an in-progress version of the Champagne SuperNova while it was in development. In addition to sounding great, it's an extremely fun synth to explore and experiment with. If you like unique synths that will lead you to new places, this and the JPS Harmonic Synth are both fantastic and well worth looking into!
I loooooooooooove JP's stuff... Beta tested his Harmonic Synth, which I adore... Have most of his REs... Will definitely check this one out...
Although the demo is not quite gripping me... I guess my synth taste is more early 80s after all... ;)

D.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2018
esselfortium wrote:
19 Mar 2018
I loooooooooooove JP's stuff... Beta tested his Harmonic Synth, which I adore... Have most of his REs... Will definitely check this one out...
Although the demo is not quite gripping me... I guess my synth taste is more early 80s after all... ;)

D.
A good vintage ;)

I did do a load of rough demos as I was developing it, but have not had time to turn any of those into full demo songs due to external circumstances.

alteree did this jolly demo though!

https://allihoopa.com/s/QTNrS9lP

stekme

19 Mar 2018

Nice synth!
But why it have name of famous synthesiser "SuperNova" by Novation? Musicians already know this name in world of synths. At first seconds I think that this RE about Novation synth.

Novachord, but why SuperNova?

eusti

19 Mar 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
19 Mar 2018

A good vintage ;)

I did do a load of rough demos as I was developing it, but have not had time to turn any of those into full demo songs due to external circumstances.

alteree did this jolly demo though!

https://allihoopa.com/s/QTNrS9lP
Wow! That is just so beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :)

D.

Exowildebeest

19 Mar 2018

Incredible what Jiggery keeps coming up with from the bowels of history.

Despondo
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

Zac wrote:
19 Mar 2018

I mentioned this to JP on facebook and IMO he got the lower part right as far as the woodgrain orientation, but I feel the upper side parts should have the grain going vertically too (marked in red).

spacefarmer

19 Mar 2018

Thank You M.,
a dream comes true.
Is it RE or IDT?
I can't see an image of the back and if there are CV-inputs.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

Despondo wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Zac wrote:
19 Mar 2018

I mentioned this to JP on facebook and IMO he got the lower part right as far as the woodgrain orientation, but I feel the upper side parts should have the grain going vertically too (marked in red).

No, I double-checked this. The legs were wrong, as you rightly pointed out, so I fixed those. But the top section is not actually part of the legs, it's the side panel, so grain does indeed go horizontally! ;)
Nova big top.jpg
Nova big top.jpg (213.28 KiB) Viewed 4154 times

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

spacefarmer wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Thank You M.,
a dream comes true.
Is it RE or IDT?
I can't see an image of the back and if there are CV-inputs.
It does indeed have a CV input for the Bright-Mellow control!
novaback.PNG
novaback.PNG (616.08 KiB) Viewed 4148 times

Soeno

19 Mar 2018

real oak

nickb523
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

Liking this a lot. Getting some fantastic sounding pads out of it.

The FX section is really good. It would be nice if these were available as individual RE's.... Ganja Phlanja FTW! :lol:

Despondo
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Despondo wrote:
19 Mar 2018

No, I double-checked this. The legs were wrong, as you rightly pointed out, so I fixed those. But the top section is not actually part of the legs, it's the side panel, so grain does indeed go horizontally! ;)

Nova big top.jpg
Ah yes...Good to have photos of the actual thing. :-)

bsp

19 Mar 2018

trial didn't work (some PH server issue? got a "communication error" dialog. never saw that one before!).
what the heck, I bought it instead. JP's products never disappointed me.

well, here's the first thing I did with it: https://allihoopa.com/s/Ke0knk9w
main ingredients:
- one super nova
- one ambient brick
- one large stack of additional effects and processing
(and hey, maybe that's what super novas actually sound like. nobody knows!)

EdGrip

19 Mar 2018

I thought it was a reference to the Optigan disc "champagne music", - Optigan RE! But it's even cooler than that.

bsp

19 Mar 2018

It's modeled after one of the world's first synthesizers, the Hammond Novachord (from the late 1930ies).

Take a look here.

The original sounds like this ("This may frighten small children." -- love the description!)
.. or this.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2018

Can't comment on the product yet as I haven't had a chance to try it but.. "Deep Space Shine" made me grin.

Arrant
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2018

stekme wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Nice synth!
But why it have name of famous synthesiser "SuperNova" by Novation? Musicians already know this name in world of synths. At first seconds I think that this RE about Novation synth.

There is already a rack extension simulation of the Novation Supernova in the shop, it's called "DyingStar".

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Can't comment on the product yet as I haven't had a chance to try it but.. "Deep Space Shine" made me grin.
:lol: I was fresh off a DS9 rewatch last year.

Did no-one notice that Fuchsia is the older sister of Titus? ;)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Mar 2018

stekme wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Nice synth!

Indeed, I'm aware of the Novation Supernova, but I rather liked the notion of calling it the "Champagne SuperNova" with its rather decedant and hedonistic 20/30s feel; once I was sure there weren't copyright issues with the name (since Champagne only applies to the drink), I decided to, um. Roll With It :lol: .

On a practical note, I wanted to avoid calling it "Novachord" to differentiate it from other Kontakt sets and our own ReFill that all use fixed samplesets of control positions, partly to indicate this isn't a strict emulation in terms of sonic like-for-like, as it doesn't, but it's a spiritual one designed to recreate the overall approach and flexibility of the Original Synth. An enhanced experience if you like. A super one! ;)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Mar 2018

EdGrip wrote:
19 Mar 2018
I thought it was a reference to the Optigan disc "champagne music", - Optigan RE! But it's even cooler than that.
Now, I'd love to do an Optigan RE. I looked (briefly, mind) into Optigan recordings about three years ago, but afaict the copyright on those recordings seemed absolute and I think it's unlikely I'd get a license for them given they sell Kontakt sets.

demt

20 Mar 2018

argh my grandads electronic factory should of picked up on the original . dream on, tis great
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

O1B

20 Mar 2018

Awesome. RE "BUY" backlog... but, I gotta have this. Sounds heavy.

• Information