Spectra Additive ReSynthesizer is out!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Breach The Sky

15 Mar 2018

Is it just me or does this synth really lends itself to a lot of saturation/distortion? Might be due to the otherwise clean tone.

Loque

15 Mar 2018

Breach The Sky wrote:
15 Mar 2018
Is it just me or does this synth really lends itself to a lot of saturation/distortion? Might be due to the otherwise clean tone.
Well, i find the sound sometimes a bit too clean and it goes very low and also very high in the spectrum. It also depends on what you are doing, like the harmonics stuff.

But i noticed some "glitching" when using morphing filters due to the low resolution of the knobs, where you can workaround it by using filter sequences.

Maybe you post a patch or an example sound and we can have a look (ear).
Reason12, Win10

geronimo

15 Mar 2018

It does not seem like it does not look like much but I appreciate the X / Y Controllers part.(sorry for the language) :oops:
For this kind of detail in the edition, it is advisable to read the 133-pages manual provided with SPECTRA. Time spent reading that we then go back during the edition.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

15 Mar 2018

selig wrote:
12 Mar 2018
Congrats dude, you made it! Enjoy the moment and don’t forget to take some time off and make some music with your new toy. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Thanks Selig. I guess its not a good idea to try and build an RE and hold down a full time job. :)

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
15 Mar 2018
selig wrote:
12 Mar 2018
Congrats dude, you made it! Enjoy the moment and don’t forget to take some time off and make some music with your new toy. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Thanks Selig. I guess its not a good idea to try and build an RE and hold down a full time job. :)
It's gotta be a labor of love - my ColoringEQ was originally scheduled for 2016 release. Was a bit optimistic myself…
Great work, btw, and totally worth the wait!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

teddymcw

15 Mar 2018

So, song contest for this one? Would be great. I'm mostly asking at this moment so I can budget my time and trial period.

Congrats on this labor of love mate.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

15 Mar 2018

teddymcw wrote:
15 Mar 2018
So, song contest for this one? Would be great. I'm mostly asking at this moment so I can budget my time and trial period.

I'll talk to Noel.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

16 Mar 2018

teddymcw wrote:
15 Mar 2018

Hi teddymcw.

I've decided not to have a song contest for Spectra. I know this is something of a Reasontalk tradition.
I hope you aren't too disappointed.

Loque

16 Mar 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
16 Mar 2018
teddymcw wrote:
15 Mar 2018

Hi teddymcw.

I've decided not to have a song contest for Spectra. I know this is something of a Reasontalk tradition.
Maybe in your next released synth ;)
Reason12, Win10

Loque

16 Mar 2018

As promised, here a bit more aggressive growling sound. Not to easy to create, due Spectra can only "import" harmonics, but i tried.
Abitmoregrowly.zip
(26.79 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Time to try some pads and stuff...especially with the "Attack" of the HEnv...
Reason12, Win10

teddymcw

16 Mar 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
16 Mar 2018

Hi teddymcw.

No worries my friend! Plenty of other ways to design fun with this. Best!

eusti

16 Mar 2018

Am having a good time diving deeper and deeper into this one... Would have liked to be able to modulate GEN 1(or2) Morph 1 Selection inside the synth, but am at least glad that I can do that with a combinator... After the first few hours I have to say it is an inspiring synth... For me though more in regards to sound design and programming than picking a sound and coming up with song ideas so far... ES-01 was very different in that regard... maybe a simpler synth lends itself to more immediate playing and a deeper synth more to dive deeper... Or maybe I'm just in a very different mood these days... All in all: Lovely piece of kit! Congrats!

D.

Loque

17 Mar 2018

I really enjoy the import thing. You have a patch and pick up some random samples and get complete new results. Now with eXpanse, Oberon and Proton there is another "loader" and it can create pretty unique results. Even if they all have there special thing how to import and use a sample, its pretty great to have them. Just whish some other synths could import samples in some way. Synths like Parsec, Zero, Thor and Noxisius would be much more interesting with new wavetable input.

And in combination with things like Grain - awsome. Just put some random sample in the synth, make some noise, put it into Grain, make some, noise, repeat! I like the new times...
Attachments
Little Big Dirty Not Piano.zip
(29.3 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Reason12, Win10

eusti

18 Mar 2018

That sounds super cool, Loque. Will check it out later...

On a different matter: I now understand (at least considering my setup) why not doing a song competition might have been the right idea...
As I'm diving a bit deeper into this synth I'm experiencing that just one pad plus one melody can give me the dreaded "computer too slow" message at times... Mmmh... That can be due to my computer being somewhat older... Still like the synth though!

D.

eusti

19 Mar 2018

I think I tracked down my issues to the patches in question: The patches I'm drawn to have a beautiful, dreamlike sound... To achieve that without a built in reverb Navi did a great job using the impressive release times (That I think go up to 26s...). Unfortunately that becomes an issue on my system when I leave the polyphony at 8 voices...

D.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2018
I think I tracked down my issues to the patches in question: The patches I'm drawn to have a beautiful, dreamlike sound... To achieve that without a built in reverb Navi did a great job using the impressive release times (That I think go up to 26s...). Unfortunately that becomes an issue on my system when I leave the polyphony at 8 voices...

D.
I've found that 9 times out of 10 its down to long release times. I did make the conscious decision to keep the long (26 second) release times in knowing that some people would have performance issues. My thinking was that I wanted the user to have the option and to decide for themselves rather than forcing shorter release times and reducing options. Thought it would be better to have the longer ones knowing that people could ultimately bounce the track if needed.

Not sure if it was a good decision. We'll see. You're right. Navi did a pretty awesome job.

eusti

19 Mar 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
19 Mar 2018
I've found that 9 times out of 10 its down to long release times. I did make the conscious decision to keep the long (26 second) release times in knowing that some people would have performance issues. My thinking was that I wanted the user to have the option and to decide for themselves rather than forcing shorter release times and reducing options. Thought it would be better to have the longer ones knowing that people could ultimately bounce the track if needed.

Not sure if it was a good decision. We'll see. You're right. Navi did a pretty awesome job.
Hey! Thanks for responding! I think it is definitely worth leaving it like that... Options are great! And I get why Navi used the release times like that... It sounds really nice... Almost like reverbed... Makes the synth sound beautiful... I guess, I just have to figure out which of the presets I like and modify them to make it work here...

D.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2018
synthetechsound wrote:
19 Mar 2018

Hey! Thanks for responding! I think it is definitely worth leaving it like that... Options are great! And I get why Navi used the release times like that... It sounds really nice... Almost like reverbed... Makes the synth sound beautiful... I guess, I just have to figure out which of the presets I like and modify them to make it work here...

D.
I was pretty amazed every time I received a bunch of patches from Navi. There is a previous post where I outlined the things and the conditions I thought might tax the CPU.

eusti

19 Mar 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
19 Mar 2018

I was pretty amazed every time I received a bunch of patches from Navi. There is a previous post where I outlined the things and the conditions I thought might tax the CPU.
Found it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7505946&p=382152#p382152

Thanks.

D.

eusti

19 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2018
synthetechsound wrote:
19 Mar 2018

Found it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7505946&p=382152#p382152

Here the bullet points:
synthetechsound wrote:
14 Mar 2018
1. Unison. 1,2 and 4 voices of unison have no additional CPU hit but I really wanted to be able to have 8 (per generator). Using 6 and/or 8 will increase the CPU.

2. Long Release times. One of the sound designers requested 26 second release times! ( the dsp developers nightmare). Using long release times (on top of the features listed hear will certainly drive up the cpu). Note: I implemented it this way because rather than reducing the synth and avoiding the issue, I made a conscious choice to let the user decide. This is why the answer can be complicated.

3. Using the Harmonic Envelopes - Each of these envelopes has 256 DADSR envelopes within it. That can be a cpu hit. But I really wanted this feature in. (I may have been the only one). :) Note the HEnvs are optimised so that they don't draw CPU if they aren't used.

4. The Noise Generator. This is an expensive luxury. it is effectively a third Voice and using it on top of the other stuff listed above can steal more CPU.

Thanks.

D.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

20 Mar 2018

Spectra version 1.0.1 should be available in the next day or so. This release includes 3 bug fixes. Special thanks to Andre Horst for his assistance.

This build includes the following fixes/changes:

Fixed a defect where the LFO’s were not re-triggering correctly when the LFO mode is MONO and the key mode is either MONO or LEGATO.
Fixed a defect where the analyser triggers were not being calculated correctly impacting the ability to analyse from multiple triggers.
Fixed a defect in the displaying of Spectral/Filter Sequence times where times less than a second were incorrectly described as milliseconds.

Loque

20 Mar 2018

Reason12, Win10

Loque

21 Mar 2018

This synth is really fun. Just gambled around with the HEnv, which is similar to Parsec's "Partial Envelops", but you have more control. And with a touch of self-defined filter you come up with pretty funny sounds, just like this synthesised vowel stuff (added some fx to give it more character):
Reason12, Win10

synthetechsound
RE Developer

21 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
21 Mar 2018
This synth is really fun. Just gambled around with the HEnv, which is similar to Parsec's "Partial Envelops", but you have more control. And with a touch of self-defined filter you come up with pretty funny sounds, just like this synthesised vowel stuff (added some fx to give it more character):
LOL. Thats awesome. I love hearing sounds like that.

miscend

22 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
21 Mar 2018
Nice

• Information