What's the lowest price you've seen for VK2?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DoctoralHermit

11 Mar 2018

VK2 is the next thing I'm lusting after... I have the VK1 from purchasing it as part of the Synth Rig, and I love the powerful rawness of its sound... How low have you seen VK2 go?

Electric-Metal

11 Mar 2018

29€ not too long ago.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Zac

11 Mar 2018

29 tokens but he did get undercut by the launch of R10 somewhat. I saw that price as a two fingers to props but I'm probably wrong. Doubt it will ever get that low again tho.

Soeno

11 Mar 2018

maybe tomorrow for 49

mataya

11 Mar 2018

I missed that 29 price. Mr. blam, if you need 29 euros for tomorow's out with firends or something like that, you can have my money right now.

oh 29 ..,please

jayhosking

11 Mar 2018

Honestly, it's worth the price they're asking. Consider any discrepancy between the price you pay and some later sale price as a rental fee? My opinion is that life is too short to wait for sales.

Zac

11 Mar 2018

jayhosking wrote:
11 Mar 2018
Honestly, it's worth the price they're asking. Consider any discrepancy between the price you pay and some later sale price as a rental fee? My opinion is that life is too short to wait for sales.
Shill? Or just financially secure?

This post was brought to you thanks to a comrade with communist sympathies.

;)

jayhosking

11 Mar 2018

Zac wrote:
11 Mar 2018

Shill? Or just financially secure?
You got me. I'm a secret plant for the global capitalist conglomerate called Blamsoft! I hear they're hoarding billions of dollars off-shore.

Seriously, though, I am neither shill nor financially secure. But just because I can't afford something doesn't mean it's not worth the asking price.

strangers
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2018

$29 was their lowest price. Was shocked they went that low. It was an insta-buy at that point.

EdGrip

12 Mar 2018

I paid €39 and that's a total bargain.

If you just want a Moog in the Rack, Legend is probably a better buy - it's easier to understand and it's easier on the CPU.
VK-2's strength (besides sound!) lies in the back panel, and the flexibility, and the ability to use all its modules on their own as part of other experiments.
Blamsoft and eXode are the real champions of the back panel and the rack environment.

DoctoralHermit

12 Mar 2018

EdGrip wrote:
12 Mar 2018
I paid €39 and that's a total bargain.

If you just want a Moog in the Rack, Legend is probably a better buy - it's easier to understand and it's easier on the CPU.
VK-2's strength (besides sound!) lies in the back panel, and the flexibility, and the ability to use all its modules on their own as part of other experiments.
Blamsoft and eXode are the real champions of the back panel and the rack environment.
That's interesting you say that... I was considering The Legend as well, but I heard that VK2 offers more options and is therefore a synth you can go deeper into... is that true?

EdGrip

12 Mar 2018

There's definitely lots more you can do with VK-2 even within itself than Legend.
The Legend aims to totally nail, specifically, the fixed-architecture Moog Model D.
VK-2 is more like a modular Moog-inspired synth - it's far deeper. It's also proper poly. VK-2 can do most (all?) of what Legend can do, but not the other way round.
Different programmers and different intentions mean a slightly different sound for similarly-constructed patches - but emphasis on slightly! If you're comparing the sound, pay attention to the filter - and remember on both synths, you can use their filter as a standalone effect anywhere in your signal chain you like.

eXode wrote his own comparison somewhere I think.
By nature of being simpler and fixed, Legend is a bit quicker and easier to get involved with. There's a definite argument for having both if you like analogue synths. (I have VK-2 and Repro).

jayhosking

12 Mar 2018

I use both Legend and VK-2. When I'm dialling in something myself, I usually start with the Legend. It's sounds amazing and huge, almost in an indescribable way, it's a breeze to work with, and its DSP usage is modest. But if I'm trying to do something even slightly unusual in terms of modulation or routing, I reach for the VK-2 instead. VK-2 is probably more than most users need for flexibility, myself included, but it's relatively easy to work with, sounds good, and is usually able to do anything I imagine. Beyond that, VK-2 also has a fantastic bank of patches, which (in my opinion) are worth no small fraction of the RE's price.

So if I'm aiming to make something myself, or trying to evoke a very warm and characteristic sound, I reach for Legend first. If I want to cross that with modern flexibility, or want to take advantage of good patch design, I reach for VK-2 first.

ltbrunt00

12 Mar 2018

VK2 is worth more than the 99 dollar price tag. Of course I brought it during the thanksgiving sale for $29.

VK2 analog sound is huge. I use both VK2 and the legend in tandem on most songs these days.

Making combinator patches with these two together could collapse time itself.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

• Information