In the shop now: Softphonic's WIRE Eclectic Grand

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
craven

19 Mar 2018

hey Softphonics, congratulations on the release of this fine instrument! The demos sound good to amazing, I wish I had better playing skills. A design competition sounds like a fun idea. Since we have so many UI designers here. To me, good looks of an RE device are part of the joy, it's not just sound and usability - Reason attracted me because it looked and felt playful. Live felt a bit lifeless to me. Wish we had the Live pattern mode in Reason, though, but I digress. Godspeed, Softphonics!
:ugeek:

Faastwalker

19 Mar 2018

botnotbot wrote:
19 Mar 2018
That kind of attitude is part of the reason why the world is such a hateful place.
Rack Extensions not bombs!!

Faastwalker

19 Mar 2018

craven wrote:
19 Mar 2018
A design competition sounds like a fun idea. Since we have so many UI designers here.

To me, good looks of an RE device are part of the joy, it's not just sound and usability.
Agree. I think it's a big part of the complete package. Sound comes first for sure. But GUI & layout is hugely important when using the device. Also the first bite is with the eye. If people see something that looks great it will draw them in, even if they have no interest in what it does what so ever ......... or so they thought before being sucked in like a moth to a flame!

Softphonics

19 Mar 2018

selig wrote:Can we nudge this thread back on topic please?

Let’s move the conversation about how a dev should act to another thread if folks really want to talk about that stuff, and let’s bring things back to discussing (in a more respectful way) this product.

Thanks!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Nobody listens. Maybe rename the thread 'sight or sound'

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2018

Softphonics wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Can we nudge this thread back on topic please?

Let’s move the conversation about how a dev should act to another thread if folks really want to talk about that stuff, and let’s bring things back to discussing (in a more respectful way) this product.

Thanks!
:)
I tried nudging it back on topic a few times myself but few users are persistent.
Anyway, Maybe I will run a competition for the best sketch of "how you think it should look"
Then develop the GUI for the next update :D
That’s not a bad idea - I’m sure there are at least a few designers that would help out in return for a license. We already know everyone here has an “opinion”!!! ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

WillyOD

20 Mar 2018

"I mean plenty of people use Live, and all the instruments and effects a basic black & grey, yet some of the biggest and best get the sound from it they need. If you are implying that Reason users only use reason because of how it looks above anything else then maybe we (Softphonics) should be concentrating more on our Bitwig / Kontakt & Max devices and forget RE."

I'm sure posting threats just because a few people had bad things to say about your GUI goes down well. I'm sorry but that just seems like a stupid move. Don't take things so personally. If you want out of RE development, just do it, instead of preparing your departure with forums posts like these.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Jmax

20 Mar 2018

As a piano player i very much appreciate the instrument. Lots of very cool tweabkle options. Sounds great using the players as well Could care less about the GUI, i didn't notice amything until people starting crying.

I've got Kontakt instruments that look just like this. It's about the music people! Get a gripe. People somehow think a big ahiny GUI will help them make better music. It won't! The best composers will use a Vst with a pixelated image of a trash can if it has a sound they want. Why? Because it's all about the music. So if you're going to critizie do it very politely and constructively. Respect your sound designers. If you only had any idea how hard they work on this stuff.

Please keep these insteuments coming!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Softphonics

20 Mar 2018

WIRE 1.1 Update features a GUI change

Que the celebrations :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :reason: :reason: :reason:

Wire 1.1 Gui.PNG
Wire 1.1 Gui.PNG (460.38 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Wire update p2.PNG
Wire update p2.PNG (729.8 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
------

WillyOD

20 Mar 2018

That looks sleek, good job! (On a personal note, I don't care about looks that much, only the sound. Of course a clear GUI helps with the usage especially to newcomers and those who really like to tweak the patches and create their own sounds).
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2018

---
Last edited by avasopht on 27 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

20 Mar 2018

Softphonics wrote:
20 Mar 2018

Que the celebrations :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :reason: :reason: :reason:

Wire 1.1 Gui.PNG
Very nice. Looks a lot more balanced & professional I think ;)

jayhosking

21 Mar 2018

Softphonics wrote:
20 Mar 2018

Wire 1.1 Gui.PNG

Wire update p2.PNG
Considering Reason's ongoing issue with higher resolution screens, I'll almost always take a fader over a knob. I like it! (I was planning on trying it out in any case, because the demos sound neat.)

Any chance of running a contest on this one? I only ask because usually the contests are aimed more toward danceable music, and I'd be intrigued to see what the community makes with this one.

Looking forward to demoing when I have a moment.

QVprod

21 Mar 2018

jayhosking wrote:
21 Mar 2018

Any chance of running a contest on this one? I only ask because usually the contests are aimed more toward danceable music, and I'd be intrigued to see what the community makes with this one.
I wouldn't say that they're aimed toward that, that just happens to be what the majority of the people on here make. Possibly even most Reason users in general. It would be interesting though to see what people make with only a piano instrument.

jayhosking

21 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
21 Mar 2018
jayhosking wrote:
21 Mar 2018

I wouldn't say that they're aimed toward that, that just happens to be what the majority of the people on here make. Possibly even most Reason users in general. It would be interesting though to see what people make with only a piano instrument.
Agreed that they're not aimed toward that. I just thought the instrument might inspire some different sort of pieces as a nice change, and as a good feature for the instrument.

Softphonics

21 Mar 2018

fieldframe wrote:
16 Mar 2018
selig wrote:
19 Mar 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
19 Mar 2018
wire_456.jpg
wire_456.jpg (414.9 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
------

dhruan

21 Mar 2018

Much better now! :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

tiker01

21 Mar 2018

I was not a fan of the initial design but didn't wanted criticise it based on only the GUI. I am glad after all it has been redesigned.

Looks awesome now! :o :o :o :o

I hope you will find some time to polish the GUI the other two a tiny bit as well. If you ask me start win the strings one ;) (because I have it)

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

EnochLight

21 Mar 2018

Softphonics wrote:
21 Mar 2018
wire_456.jpg
wire_456.jpg (414.9 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
That's a massive improvement - nice work!!!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Mar 2018

All right! Major layout improvement.

craven

26 Mar 2018

wow, that was fast! Looks very professional. I hope it also increases sales!
:ugeek:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2018

Awesome. The new version looks great. Nice job. Yes GUI matters, obviously, otherwise people (me included) wouldn't bring it up constantly.

I can't help but think all the criticism here (even if sometimes presented in an unnecessary rude manner) helped this product. You did change it after all.

I trialed it when it first came out. Sounded nice but simply didn't fit my music. Anyway thanks for developing and expanding the RE market.

Ottostrom

26 Mar 2018

This GUI makes me want to shove it into the rack! Great job :)

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2018

Is it just me or does it sound better with the new GUI?

...Kidding :) Sounds great to me!

ltbrunt00

26 Mar 2018

I am not one to care for how the GUI looks, I care more about the sound but this updated GUI does look like a million bucks.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

• Information