In the shop now: Softphonic's WIRE Eclectic Grand

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

08 Mar 2018

Edit: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... tic-grand/

Originally I had found and posted this, but I think the original video seems offline now...

Just came across this on Facebook:

D.
Last edited by eusti on 15 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

esselfortium

08 Mar 2018

Looks very customizable, but the preview's audio seems to be in mono, which makes it difficult to judge the sound accurately.

Please hire a GUI designer.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

riemac

08 Mar 2018

esselfortium wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Looks very customizable, but the preview's audio seems to be in mono, which makes it difficult to judge the sound accurately.

Sounds nice but the GUI is really bad.
Maybe you could help with the GUI.

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2018

Will not even trial it because of the ugly gui. That white font on the mahogany background is hideous. This isn’t 2001. And don’t give me that Papen crap where you tell me “no one cares about the GUI, it’s all about the sound”.

But have a nice day, lol!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Softphonics

08 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
08 Mar 2018

D.
esselfortium wrote:
08 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Will not even trial it because of the ugly gui. That white font on the black background is hideous. This isn’t 2001. And don’t give me that Papen crap where you tell me “no one cares about the GUI, it’s all about the sound”.

Hi and thanks Eusti for the OP, I was just made aware of it by a user.

Was not planning to post here because of the continuous negativity, so unsurprisingly when I read the thread.....

hurricane, Nobody has to trial anything they don't want to, we live in a world of choices. We do things our way, and other developers do it thier way, that doesn't make one right or wrong. You may wear clothes that others think are in your words 'ugly' but you may be a nice guy inside, Same with RE's look good to some, look bad to others, Sound good to some sound bad to others. . . . but that is life, we are all free to choose.

But please do have a nice day

negativity.jpg
negativity.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

Softphonics

08 Mar 2018

WIre at work2.jpg
WIre at work2.jpg (455.01 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
Last edited by Softphonics on 09 Mar 2018, edited 3 times in total.
------

jayhosking

08 Mar 2018

This sounds potential very cool. Is there somewhere we can hear it in stereo?

QVprod

08 Mar 2018

First 3rd party tweak-able acoustic piano RE.
Softphonics wrote:
08 Mar 2018

Was not planning to post here because of the continuous negativity, so unsurprisingly when I read the thread.....
To be fair though, esselfortium brings up a good point regarding the Youtube audio. It's definitely in mono and subtracts away from the sound. It's worth re-uploading a stereo version.

Softphonics

08 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Softphonics wrote:
08 Mar 2018

To be fair though, esselfortium brings up a good point regarding the Youtube audio. It's definitely in mono and subtracts away from the sound. It's worth re-uploading a stereo version.
Oh yes about the video yes i agree, but there will be more videos and demos when released. Trying to get many things done! Cheers QVp
------

ambitran

08 Mar 2018

Softphonics wrote:
eusti wrote:
08 Mar 2018

D.
esselfortium wrote:
08 Mar 2018

hurricane wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Will not even trial it because of the ugly gui. That white font on the black background is hideous. This isn’t 2001. And don’t give me that Papen crap where you tell me “no one cares about the GUI, it’s all about the sound”.

Hi and thanks Eusti for the OP, I was just made aware of it by a user.

hurricane, Nobody has to trial anything they don't want to, we live in a world of choices. We do things our way, and other developers do it thier way, that doesn't make one right or wrong. You may wear clothes that others think are in your words 'ugly' but you may be a nice guy inside, Same with RE's look good to some, look bad to others, Sound good to some sound bad to others. . . . but that is life, we are all free to choose.

But please do have a nice day

negativity.jpg
Tell them Softphonics! Positive people produce, while negative people only consume!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Softphonics

08 Mar 2018

Here is some Stereo Examples guys. Thanks
esselfortium wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Looks very customizable, but the preview's audio seems to be in mono,
jayhosking wrote:
08 Mar 2018
This sounds potential very cool. Is there somewhere we can hear it in stereo?
QVprod wrote:
08 Mar 2018

It's definitely in mono and subtracts away from the sound. It's worth re-uploading a stereo version.
------

jayhosking

08 Mar 2018

Softphonics wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Here is some Stereo Examples guys. Thanks

Thanks for the quick response!

EdGrip

08 Mar 2018

Loved that Drukqs thing!

QVprod

08 Mar 2018

I’m being nice and only giving a general warning here. Offensive posts have been deleted. Keep things civil here thank you!

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2018

---
Last edited by avasopht on 27 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

08 Mar 2018

Sounds absolutely lovely. But the GUI is a mess currently. Looks like they started with the idea of making the main panel the shape of a grand piano & then squished everything else around it. The envelope sections are tiny, the text on the middle section is HUGE! I think it could be smaller, neater & more balanced if they lost the black panel section & made the layout more consistent. But it does sound very, very nice.

Softphonics

08 Mar 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Sounds absolutely lovely. But the GUI is a mess currently. Looks like they started with the idea of making the main panel the shape of a grand piano & then squished everything else around it. The envelope sections are tiny, the text on the middle section is HUGE! I think it could be smaller, neater & more balanced if they lost the black panel section & made the layout more consistent. But it does sound very, very nice.

Thanks for the input,
I'll say again though, these screen casts were done using the beta version. The final version (The one going in the store) looks a bit different, the text etc is different and smaller. When you use it though you will see its great fun and very user friendly, It's ok to try be a bit different in this case, why not try at least! :)
------

Faastwalker

08 Mar 2018

Softphonics wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Thanks for the input,
I'll say again though, these screen casts were done using the beta version. The final version (The one going in the store) looks a bit different, the text etc is different and smaller. When you use it though you will see its great fun and very user friendly, It's ok to try be a bit different in this case, why not try at least! :)
Ah, sorry. I didn't read that part about the beta version. Certainly sounds nice & nothing wrong with being different ;) Still not sold on the grand piano shaped bit. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure some will love it & you can't please everyone.

Softphonics

08 Mar 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
08 Mar 2018

Ah, sorry. I didn't read that part about the beta version. Certainly sounds nice & nothing wrong with being different ;) Still not sold on the grand piano shaped bit. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure some will love it & you can't please everyone.
That's ok man! :),
hopefully if you get to try it out, you will see why it is like that, it is great fun to play. :reason: :re:
------

miscend

08 Mar 2018

It doesn’t sound so much like a piano to me. It sounds more like a celesta or harpsichord. I don’t mind the GUI, it at least looks better than Radikal Piano.

nickb523
RE Developer

08 Mar 2018

EdGrip wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Loved that Drukqs thing!
I do too. Target market nailed. Worked for me. :)

Pralijah

09 Mar 2018

I am glad that Softphonics are making new RE, it is quality stuff. There is too little of instruments in the RE format so it gives hope to see developers that are making the Reason environment richer. Have not had time yet to try out the previous ones yet, but will soon and when it comes to good RE instruments, they will sooner or later end up in the rack. I think sale numbers in RE market pays off better in the course of time.

When it comes to GUI, I like it that one can see the keys pressed down. And, if all the functions and samples are in there, I´m not that picky with looks as long as it is clear enough interface. Sound and function is nr 1 for me in this case, as I am used to their Refills, and think it is lovely to see S getting into RE. So I think of it as extra advanced doped Combinators.

I personally think it is better to get the RE´s out and not spending too many months on the GUI. I do understand that some people who are more picky about GUI and have many preferences, and think the opposite to me here. How a GUI can be such an eye-candy that it gives the heavy first impression. But I think it can be good also to just going a bit of DIY-style and get the RE´s out there for users to make music and try them out. And maybe, after constructive feedbacks and calm testing alternatives, Softphonics might some day suddenly update and re-design their RE line, then it will almost feel like getting new instruments. RE shop needs instruments like I now need a cup of tea. Look forward testing these new instruments out.
Make music shake again!

Exowildebeest

09 Mar 2018

Sounds beautiful and unique!

About the GUI - meh, most Kontakt stuff looks worse to me, at least this is simple and usable. Could definitely be prettier though, with nicer knobs and text. Looks a bit Beta now.

But that sound - awesome!

fieldframe
RE Developer

09 Mar 2018

The UI kind of reminds me of that old duck shop that was built to look like a duck.

The piano shape might not be quite so bad if the controls were more strongly connected with the actual parts of the piano, but given the limited space I'd probably keep the piano illustration itself very limited.

Softphonics

09 Mar 2018

[/quote]
fieldframe wrote:
09 Mar 2018
The UI kind of reminds me of that old duck shop that was built to look like a duck.

The piano shape might not be quite so bad if the controls were more strongly connected with the actual parts of the piano, but given the limited space I'd probably keep the piano illustration itself very limited.

The discussion here has been a lot to do with the UI during BETA, It would be nice if people tried it in person when it comes out before making a final judgement. We focus on the sound primarily, Press play on the soundcloud link above and close your eyes for a moment, the UI is more Kontakt than Reason, but who says it can't be one or the other.
Have a nice weekend guys

WIre at work2.jpg
WIre at work2.jpg (455.01 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
------

• Information