Rumble K2 Player and Rumble K2 Player Light released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

09 Mar 2018

Oenkenstein wrote:
09 Mar 2018
eusti wrote:
08 Mar 2018

Ok. Thanks. That is a bit confusing as "neutral" is 50...

D.
The Sine Osc Tune has a range from 0 to 100 and the default value of 53 corresponds with 263.7 Hz and that is almost the note C3. The Sine Osc's tuning is not exactly pitched to middle C. It is out of tune with + 10 cents.

You can use the Sine Osc to thicken the sound of the the Wave Loops, as they mix together, but you also can use the Sine Osc as a source for Amplitude (AM) or Ring Modulation. In this case the Wave Loop Osc acts as the carrier and gets modulated by the Sine Osc. When the modulator is of subsonic frequency, the result is a slow or rapid variation in the volume level of the carrier signal which is referred to as tremolo. The frequency can be changed with the Tune knob. So, the AM or Ring Modulation in Rumble K2 works a bit different compared to the hardware equivalent.

The Super Osc Tune has also a range from 0 to 100, but has a scale in semi tones, just like the Wave Loop Tune.
Note that you can use the Super Osc's Tune, Amount and Detune knobs for the Sub Osc as well.

For now, you will need you ears, but I will add Hz and the amount of semi tones to the scale of these properties and add a proper visual scale around the knobs. But that is for the update I am busy with at moment.
Thanks for explaining and working it into the update! Appreciated! :)

D.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

09 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
09 Mar 2018
Oenkenstein wrote:
09 Mar 2018

The Sine Osc Tune has a range from 0 to 100 and the default value of 53 corresponds with 263.7 Hz and that is almost the note C3. The Sine Osc's tuning is not exactly pitched to middle C. It is out of tune with + 10 cents.

You can use the Sine Osc to thicken the sound of the the Wave Loops, as they mix together, but you also can use the Sine Osc as a source for Amplitude (AM) or Ring Modulation. In this case the Wave Loop Osc acts as the carrier and gets modulated by the Sine Osc. When the modulator is of subsonic frequency, the result is a slow or rapid variation in the volume level of the carrier signal which is referred to as tremolo. The frequency can be changed with the Tune knob. So, the AM or Ring Modulation in Rumble K2 works a bit different compared to the hardware equivalent.

The Super Osc Tune has also a range from 0 to 100, but has a scale in semi tones, just like the Wave Loop Tune.
Note that you can use the Super Osc's Tune, Amount and Detune knobs for the Sub Osc as well.

For now, you will need you ears, but I will add Hz and the amount of semi tones to the scale of these properties and add a proper visual scale around the knobs. But that is for the update I am busy with at moment.
Thanks for explaining and working it into the update! Appreciated! :)

D.
FYI, when you have problems tuning the oscillators by ear: I have uploaded a Rumble Conversion Table. It contains a translation from knob values used in Rumble into scientific values.

http://www.oenkenstein.nl/uploadmap/Rum ... 0Table.pdf

It is work in progress, so check the link above from time to time as additions will be made this weekend.

eusti

09 Mar 2018

Oenkenstein wrote:
09 Mar 2018
FYI, when you have problems tuning the oscillators by ear: I have uploaded a Rumble Conversion Table. It contains a translation from knob values used in Rumble into scientific values.

It is work in progress, so check the link above from time to time as additions will be made this weekend.
This is great! Much appreciated!

Looking forward when it's implemented as pop up info! ;)

PS: After checking out the table I see that "neutral" is different for Sine Osc Tune and Super Osc Tune... Sine Osc Tune is close to C4 at 53 and Super Osc Tune with no half tones at 50... A bit strange neat that a visual "neutral" (as in knob indicator is pointing vertically up) doesn't represent an "in tune" sound...

D.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

10 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
09 Mar 2018
Oenkenstein wrote:
09 Mar 2018

This is great! Much appreciated!

Looking forward when it's implemented as pop up info! ;)

PS: After checking out the table I see that "neutral" is different for Sine Osc Tune and Super Osc Tune... Sine Osc Tune is close to C4 at 53 and Super Osc Tune with no half tones at 50... A bit strange neat that a visual "neutral" (as in knob indicator is pointing vertically up) doesn't represent an "in tune" sound...

D.
Yes, a more sophisticated tooltip will be implemented in the update. I am working on it :-)

About the oscillators tuning:
Both are in default position, not only on the GUI but also in the code. The Sine Osc and Super / Sub Osc's just have two different default tunings in the development tools.
I can make a correction in the code for the out of tune default quirk, but the whole point of these oscillators is to thicken the sound by detuning and also use the Sine Osc for ring modulation (AM). I leave it this way.

More of concern is the fact that some of the original sounds from the Kawai K1 are out of tune. For example: Sample number 235, the famous String loop, has C3 root note and it is off with +16 cents. From the 256 samples on the Kawai K1, 31 are a bit off. The sound designers of the instruments on the Kawai K1 often used the Fine Tune in the default patches to make a correction or use just used this function to make the sound 'wider'.

The Rumble K2 Players make use of 111 different Wave Loops. An overview of he Wave Loop Preset bank can be found in chapter 3.1.4 of the operation manual. In this table some of the Wave Loops have names like ‘186 Synth 2 Dis -26 C’ and have a number behind their name followed by a capital ‘C’. The number indicates the Fine Tune correction needed measured in Cents (-26) to make the Wave Loop sound in tune with a Wave Loop’s names note, in case Dis.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

27 Mar 2018

Just an update with good news:

All products in the Oenkenstein Rumble K serie are on sale until April, 30, 2018.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... &view=list

And... the development of a Rumble K2 Builder RE is almost finished and beta testing will start on April, 5, 2018.
There is already a large pool of beta testers, who participated in testing previous Rumble versions, but if you are interested in joining beta testing Rumble K2 Builder, please let me know in a PM and mention your user account name at the Props in your message.

Cheers!

• Information