Poltergeist Noise Machine arrived

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Soeno

27 Feb 2018

dhruan

27 Feb 2018

Daaaaaaamn... new one from him? I dub thee Mr. Productive!
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2018

The perfect tool for noise music!! :)
Last edited by aeox on 27 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Gorgon

27 Feb 2018

I was going to say, looks nice. Until I looked at the backside.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

househoppin09

27 Feb 2018

I was all set to be thoroughly unimpressed. "Seriously, yet another one of these? Does Skrock generate them procedurally or something?" Then I started playing with it.

Buy it. BUY IT. No exaggeration, these are some of the best-sounding presets I've heard on literally any synth ever. For $19, you can just use this thing as a preset machine, and for that purpose it will sound as good as (or better than) the most expensive synths you own. The filter, the spread, the reverb and other FX... everything on this thing sounds PHENOMENAL. I don't know if I'm just in "easily impressed" mode today or what, but my jaw hit the floor as soon as I started scrolling through the presets and I haven't been able to pick it back up.

I never bother recommending anything on here, but seriously... BUY IT.

EnochLight

27 Feb 2018

I don't own any of Skrock's IDT stuff, but I admire his productivity. He's one of the few (if only) devs I know that offered a changeable skin to his instruments (Solar5 has a light and dark theme in one download).

Yeah, they're IDT's - but I'd rather have this than a Refill.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

challism

27 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
27 Feb 2018
Yeah, they're IDT's - but I'd rather have this than a Refill.
That's a really good point.

I also agree offering different skins/themes is really cool. I would love if more devs did that.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

nikonovs

27 Feb 2018

Does anybody know when the Intro Price end?
:reason: 8,9.1 :ignition: :re: Expanse, Solaris, FM4
:reason: Musician, :post: Composer

lakinlakin

27 Feb 2018

Played with it for less then 5 minutes and 'had' to buy it. It sounds quite good.

scratchnsnifff

27 Feb 2018

iv messaged skrock before and asked they don't make a normal non IDT synth, the whole IDT thing is cool, but i have a hard time without CV modulation. I mean sure the combinator makes it so some of the parameters can be modulated but the slots usually fill up after routing filters, oscillators, modifiers etc. would be nice if he made the jump to the CV friendly kind. i just might get this one because of his UI work, it looks amazing and its cool how you can see the samples :) looks like a well job done
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

27 Feb 2018

dear skrock, i bought your synth! and props for adding pitch bend :)
only little gripe is that there are more samples than wavetables. any chance you could slap on some of the Kraft wavetables on this new monster. honestly think that this is the best IDT there is thus far. the wall of sound is easily achieved with this thing, but like i said. maybe some more index sliding wavetables would make it perfect thanks for another winner!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

PinkSlime

28 Feb 2018

The wavetables from Orbis would be great on this, with the fattening FX section and filters

Voyager

28 Feb 2018

Seems there is no way to control filters for each independent oscillator.

Gorgon

28 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
28 Feb 2018
Seems there is no way to control filters for each independent oscillator.
I think this will be one of those things that you'll like instantly and despise a week later.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Voyager

28 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
28 Feb 2018

I think this will be one of those things that you'll like instantly and despise a week later.

what do you mean ?

Gorgon

28 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
28 Feb 2018
Gorgon wrote:
28 Feb 2018

what do you mean ?
Because first you'll be wow'ed by the sound of the presets (which you probably could also get somewhere else) , and when you start to get to work with it, you'll soon be annoyed by the limitations.

Nerveclinic

28 Feb 2018

Well I saw everyone saying "played for 5 minutes and I bought it", and I was all, "yeah, sure, whateve's I'll be the judge".

After 5 minutes I decided to buy it.

That's a lot of bang for $19.99. Feels like there are some fresh sounds in there.

I wish there were even more sounds but the ones in there are quite strong.

Voyager

28 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
28 Feb 2018

Because first you'll be wow'ed by the sound of the presets (which you probably could also get somewhere else) , and when you start to get to work with it, you'll soon be annoyed by the limitations.

I actually posted this comment after i tested it and i also didn't get the wow factor. Personally i prefer Kraft over this one. Kraft has far more tweakable parameters per oscillator were i feel pretty limited in Poltergeist.

Loque

28 Feb 2018

The patches are quite nice, except "FX cats meow", which tried to destroy my speakers. I like the frequency shifter, but i couldnt really get used to it till now. The wavetables are quite usefull, but all sound a bit dirty, which can be handy if you are looking for that sound. I am a bit confused of the "samples", because it is a wave that is looped and i cannot define any loop points by myself - maybe i miss something here??? It is a good one for 19 bucks, might have its limits at some points, but you can dial in some good sounds quite quick. What i really dislike is, that everytime i change something in the a mod matrix slot, the sound stops.

IMHO, it is not what i am looking for and not my sound. But i really appreciate the idea of the frequency shifter which is something fresh in the onboard fx.
Reason12, Win10

Voyager

28 Feb 2018

Loque wrote:
28 Feb 2018

What i really dislike is, that everytime i change something in the a mod matrix slot, the sound stops.

This is a thing i'm facing quite often too when changing some parameters in Skrock devices and i have to admit it piss me off quite a bit sometimes :lol:

hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2018

Nerveclinic wrote:
28 Feb 2018
Well I saw everyone saying "played for 5 minutes and I bought it", and I was all, "yeah, sure, whateve's I'll be the judge".

After 5 minutes I decided to buy it.
Argh, fine I'm checking it out...

EDIT (a few hours later): While I do own 2 of their REs, the puppy love wore off quickly and I stopped using them. Poltergeist feels like more of the same. Don't be fooled by presets, I guess.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Skrock
RE Developer

22 Mar 2018

Hi guys,

Just dropping by to let you know that I appreciate the feedback and as always, I do what I do because I like doing it, for myself and the community. I can say that you are definitely heard and there are some good things coming in regards to what you, and I want. Happy producing :)
https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

Skrock
RE Developer

27 Apr 2018

Poltergeist will soon receive a free update with CV and all the wavetables from Orbis

I listen to all the feedback I can so have at it !

There's also a new youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFoqBc ... l_ev1Y9sg/ I will post developer updates and other fun stuff regarding synth design :) hope to see you /Marcus
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

Skrock
RE Developer

19 Jun 2018

Hi,

A quick update. Poltergeist is now updated to v.1.1.0
A free update for all, CV in, and wavetables from Orbis.

/Marcus

• Information