JP got Ammo updates

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

chimp_spanner

22 Feb 2018

Thanks so much for this JP! The Ammo 100 is now my go to oscillator for modular patches. Great stuff!!

FLVZ

23 Feb 2018

Cheers JP, bought these a while back and been too busy to get to know them. Might be great candidates for a one synth challenge so i can learn more about them!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Feb 2018

They are all also on sale until the end of February!

Ammo 400R/1200BR

-Codebase updated to SDK2.5 (Reason 9+ only)
-ReARM modulation bus now uses fully sub-grouped custom display pop-up menus for vastly improved and faster programming
-Fixed issue with one-shot outputting incorrect value at slow rates
-Amended several waveform graphics to better reflect final value for one-shot hold (at default 0° Phase)
-400R now defaults to an LFO setup; 1200BR defaults to a monosynth setup

Ammo 100LA
-Codebase updated to SDK2.2 (Reason 7+ only)
-Amended several waveform graphics to better reflect final value for one-shot hold (at 0° Phase)
-Fixed Sequencer CV input "drone" behaviour: the Note CV In connection (e.g. from Matrix Pattern Sequencer's Note CV Out or another LFO signal) no longer also requires a Gate CV connection in order to change pitch. A "CV Note only" connection can only be applied when **both** "Free" (Oscillator Free Run) is "On", and "Kbd/Porta" is _not_ "off".

Some additional info I omitted from the 100LA shop page as it was fast becoming a rabbit hole, but here goes... ;)

While using devices such as Matrix, which outputs tuned Note CV, is useful here, using untuned LFO signals, however, may be of little practical use as the 100LA's Audio Rate will also need to be increased to a usable range which may be a bit too arbitrary.

Users may find that for drones using non-tuned CV signals it's still preferred to connect straight to Rate CV In (or Pitch Wheel CV In, which additionally has the 4-state range adjust) to change the Hz value directly. When using Rate or Pitch CV inputs, "Free" and "Kbd/Porta" settings can be set on or off as required. If that sounds confusing, then experiment trying different connections! But to sum it up as simply as possible, if wanting an endless drone but with a CV-controlled note pitch, use a Tuned CV generator that produces a Note CV Output like Matrix, connected only to the Ammo 100LAs Sequencer Note In, with both Free Run and Kbd/Porta On.

I'm so much happier with the 400R now as the semi-modular LFO device it was intended to be, as the group pop-up gives using them so much more immediacy than the tiresome scrollage of old, and I think that and the 1200BR are still the only LFO devices with the mod busses that provides semi-modular behaviour.

It's interesting in terms of my own usage that when we later did the 100LA, I subsequently almost always used that, even pairing it with a second or third instance to modulate the first, rather than just use the 400R that already had 4 LFOs available. But since adding 2.5 pop-up format a few months back, I've quickly found I now reached straight for the 400R when knowing I'd want to modulate the LFO, hence why I've changed the default mode back for the 400R to LFO rather than audio (I should never have let MHG talk me into changing it to an audio default in the very first update).

One neat trick I'd forgotten, buried as it was a ten-minute scroll away, that I use a lot now it's easy to do, is that each LFO's VPM Output signal is also an internal matrix source, so output signals with lag applied also can be rerouted internally; this means both a lagged and non-lagged signal from an LFO channel can be used both internally and externally (by using the main LFO CV Output for the lagged output, plus one of the freely selectable "spare" CV Outs via the mod bus Osc > CV Out for the original LFO channel).

So just using the square waveform, here the Oscillator A, in Red/Pink, is outputting two different shapes, and internally modulating the Depth of the subsequent two oscillators with those two waveforms: the lagged signal modulating LFO B, and non-lagged modulating LFO C.

MultiRouting_400R3.png
MultiRouting_400R3.png (425.56 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

And Oscillator D is still available! ;)

Ammo still has a lot of features it seems are still unique in the LFO marketplace; it doesn't have a scope or a million and three waveforms, but it's massively powerfull! ;)

Auryn

23 Feb 2018

First let me just say thanks for doing these updates!
JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Feb 2018
-Fixed Sequencer CV input "drone" behaviour: the Note CV In connection (e.g. from Matrix Pattern Sequencer's Note CV Out or another LFO signal) no longer also requires a Gate CV connection in order to change pitch. A "CV Note only" connection can only be applied when **both** "Free" (Oscillator Free Run) is "On", and "Kbd/Porta" is _not_ "off".
This is super useful for building modular systems, as the previous behaviour seemed strange and in retrospect a bit illogical. This update will make integration into bigger modular/polymodular systems more straightforward.
JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Feb 2018
One neat trick I'd forgotten, buried as it was a ten-minute scroll away, that I use a lot now it's easy to do, is that each LFO's VPM Output signal is also an internal matrix source, so output signals with lag applied also can be rerouted internally; this means both a lagged and non-lagged signal from an LFO channel can be used both internally and externally (by using the main LFO CV Output for the lagged output, plus one of the freely selectable "spare" CV Outs via the mod bus Osc > CV Out for the original LFO channel).
This is also a great tip... there's a lot of depth to the Ammo devices that is easy to overlook. I was messing about with the 1200 just last week and was amazed all over at the strange sounds you can create by modulating 2 signals together in the comparator. I've been working on and off on a bunch of reason modular synthesizer builds that I hope to compile into a kind of "reason modular allstars" refill and Ammo is definitely a big part of that!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Eagleizer

24 Feb 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Feb 2018
They are all also on sale until the end of February!

Ammo 400R/1200BR

-Codebase updated to SDK2.5 (Reason 9+ only)
-ReARM modulation bus now uses fully sub-grouped custom display pop-up menus for vastly improved and faster programming
-Amended several waveform graphics to better reflect final value for one-shot hold (at default 0° Phase)
-400R now defaults to an LFO setup; 1200BR defaults to a monosynth setup

Ammo 100LA
-Codebase updated to SDK2.2 (Reason 7+ only)
-Amended several waveform graphics to better reflect final value for one-shot hold (at 0° Phase)

Some additional info I omitted from the 100LA shop page as it was fast becoming a rabbit hole, but here goes... ;)

While using devices such as Matrix, which outputs tuned Note CV, is useful here, using untuned LFO signals, however, may be of little practical use as the 100LA's Audio Rate will also need to be increased to a usable range which may be a bit too arbitrary.

Users may find that for drones using non-tuned CV signals it's still preferred to connect straight to Rate CV In (or Pitch Wheel CV In, which additionally has the 4-state range adjust) to change the Hz value directly. When using Rate or Pitch CV inputs, "Free" and "Kbd/Porta" settings can be set on or off as required. If that sounds confusing, then experiment trying different connections! But to sum it up as simply as possible, if wanting an endless drone but with a CV-controlled note pitch, use a Tuned CV generator that produces a Note CV Output like Matrix, connected only to the Ammo 100LAs Sequencer Note In, with both Free Run and Kbd/Porta On.

I'm so much happier with the 400R now as the semi-modular LFO device it was intended to be, as the group pop-up gives using them so much more immediacy than the tiresome scrollage of old, and I think that and the 1200BR are still the only LFO devices with the mod busses that provides semi-modular behaviour.

It's interesting in terms of my own usage that when we later did the 100LA, I subsequently almost always used that, even pairing it with a second or third instance to modulate the first, rather than just use the 400R that already had 4 LFOs available. But since adding 2.5 pop-up format a few months back, I've quickly found I now reached straight for the 400R when knowing I'd want to modulate the LFO, hence why I've changed the default mode back for the 400R to LFO rather than audio (I should never have let MHG talk me into changing it to an audio default in the very first update).

So just using the square waveform, here the Oscillator A, in Red/Pink, is outputting two different shapes, and internally modulating the Depth of the subsequent two oscillators with those two waveforms: the lagged signal modulating LFO B, and non-lagged modulating LFO C.

MultiRouting_400R3.png

And Oscillator D is still available! ;)

Ammo still has a lot of features it seems are still unique in the LFO marketplace; it doesn't have a scope or a million and three waveforms, but it's massively powerfull! ;)
Tanks for the update!

Ammo 100 is my most used RE and a "must have" IMO.
I`ll have to try what you explained there with Ammo 400R.
Seems very useful!

Is my logic off, or should there have been a 6/1 rate for the tempo sync?
I have run into missing that a couple of times, and have not found a workaround.
When looking at it again, seems to me that 24/1 should have been there too?

Logic: 1,2 4,8 and 16 is doubled in the devices, 3 and 12 is not. :)

Any tips for a workaround?

Cheers :)

motuscott

24 Feb 2018

The Poke never stops giving
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Gorgon

24 Feb 2018

Ammo is Ammazing!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

O1B

24 Feb 2018

Parallel Ammo 100s ...helped me to spell out my ABC's - in Stereo.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Feb 2018

Eagleizer wrote:
24 Feb 2018

Is my logic off, or should there have been a 6/1 rate for the tempo sync?
I have run into missing that a couple of times, and have not found a workaround.
When looking at it again, seems to me that 24/1 should have been there too?

Logic: 1,2 4,8 and 16 is doubled in the devices, 3 and 12 is not. :)

Any tips for a workaround?
Unfortunately no, we never did that in tempo sync.

Depending on the BPM, you can probably get the Hz rate down, and gate/envelope trigger it if need be. What's 6/1? 0.083Hz at 120bpm? 24/1 I think is 0.02Hz. So should be plenty of range down to very slow tempos, as we go down to 0.001Hz!
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 27 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Eagleizer

27 Feb 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
24 Feb 2018

Depending on the BPM, you can probably get the Hz rate down, and gate/envelope trigger it if need be. What's 6/1? 0.083Hz at 120bpm? 24/1 I think is 0.2Hz. So should be plenty of range down to very slow tempos, as we go down to 0.001Hz!
Thanks! :thumbs_up: Why did I not think of that?... :roll:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

27 Feb 2018

Eagleizer wrote:
27 Feb 2018
JiggeryPokery wrote:
24 Feb 2018

Depending on the BPM, you can probably get the Hz rate down, and gate/envelope trigger it if need be. What's 6/1? 0.083Hz at 120bpm? 24/1 I think is 0.2Hz. So should be plenty of range down to very slow tempos, as we go down to 0.001Hz!
Thanks! :thumbs_up: Why did I not think of that?... :roll:

Typo... I missed at least one zero out : I think that 24/1 should have been 0.02Hz :p

• Information