Synapse sell out: All RE for 99 ATM

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
adfielding

09 Apr 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2018
Ok, they are going nuts! Now for 149€!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/s ... ollection/
That's a crazy price, Synapse have made some fantastic REs. The DR-1 is my go-to "big" reverb, The Legend is just absolutely wonderful (and with a low CPU hit to boot), Antidote has seen plenty of use here over the years, and you can get some really satisfyingly crunchy (and, conversely, lovely and buttery) sounds out of the AF-4. The VE-3 is super useful on guitars.

You know, I never really considered it until just now, but Synapse's REs have actually played a not-insignificant part in shaping my own sound over the past several years.

Loque

09 Apr 2018

adfielding wrote:
09 Apr 2018
Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2018

That's a crazy price, Synapse have made some fantastic REs. The DR-1 is my go-to "big" reverb, The Legend is just absolutely wonderful (and with a low CPU hit to boot), Antidote has seen plenty of use here over the years, and you can get some really satisfyingly crunchy (and, conversely, lovely and buttery) sounds out of the AF-4. The VE-3 is super useful on guitars.

You know, I never really considered it until just now, but Synapse's REs have actually played a not-insignificant part in shaping my own sound over the past several years.
Yep, if i wouldnt have all their stuff, i would buy it again. The price is so incredible low, i would just buy it because it is so freaking cheap! Even today all their stuff is great. It is time, they go a step further. Hopefully they sell everything so cheap to get the money for their next step...speculating...speculating...speculating...
Reason12, Win10

jayhosking

09 Apr 2018

Good grief. If you don't already own the Legend, this bundle really is a no-brainer at $200. At $150, that's an absurdly good deal.

I own the Legend, but I think I'll probably have to pick this up. I've wanted some of these REs for a while.

Psuper

09 Apr 2018

If I knew where Propellerhead was going with Reason this would be something I'd likely go for, even though I don't 'need' any of the devices.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Steedus
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2018

Fantastic deal. If I didn't already have Antidote and DR-1 I'd probably go for it.

antic604

10 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
09 Apr 2018
If I knew where Propellerhead was going with Reason...
Wish I knew too... The recent onslaught of discounts, sales and promotions is either a desperate attempt of a drowning man to catch some air, or a genuine, expansive strategy to get Reason back on track :?

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Loque

10 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
10 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
09 Apr 2018
If I knew where Propellerhead was going with Reason...
Wish I knew too... The recent onslaught of discounts, sales and promotions is either a desperate attempt of a drowning man to catch some air, or a genuine, expansive strategy to get Reason back on track :?

Its USA business strategy imo. Expand your business, make sales rather than profit, get aggressive into the market, get market share, repeat this until all other competitors are down and you are big. Now care on profit.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

10 Apr 2018

Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2018
antic604 wrote:
10 Apr 2018

Its USA business strategy imo. Expand your business, make sales rather than profit, get aggressive into the market, get market share, repeat this until all other competitors are down and you are big. Now care on profit.
Yes, I can see this but for Reason in its current form (low-res GUI, outdated sequencer, bad performing VST) they're nowhere in a position to push out competition in any meaningful way. I hope this sales push is there to fund R&D expenses to actually bring the software up to par and THEN we can talk. I mean there's so many tiny, small infuriating things that seem easy to fix - just yesterday I was editing some automation clips and found out you can't reverse them or delete them while in editing mode...

But that's OT. Great bundle at awesome price :)

dvdrtldg

10 Apr 2018

Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2018

This is pretty much how I view Waves' strategy of flogging their plugins for $29

Psuper

10 Apr 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Apr 2018
Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2018

This is pretty much how I view Waves' strategy of flogging their plugins for $29
While waves did make good apps back in the day, the prices they came up with were so out of the norm, I never felt they deserved my money, and functionality wise I had plenty of cheaper options that worked just as well if not better. And now they're just banking on their "name", pricing old stuff at or below the cost of what you'd expect to pay for new tech from cutting-edge companies. I find their offerings even less attractive for those reasons and continue to not purchase from them.

Propellerhead is oddly in a similar predicament in my mind - holding onto the vestige of what they used to be rather than what they are or could be, with the exception that their pricing was more reasonable early on but kept that same pricing throughout its timeline.

Propellerhead seems to be in trouble, or in the very least incapable of figuring out what type of development is going to work well for them 'today' -- all the signs I recognize are pointing to it and frankly have been pointing to it for awhile. They've grown farther away from any sort of 'relationship'' with their customers and RE devs, along with all many update choices that I don't feel helped their cause.

However I don't see any of these sales as expanding, nor as aggressive - they are for the most part up to the REdevs as far as I'm aware for the Rack Extensions sales. While some seem to be good deals, they're all asking you to continue to be comfortable with proprietary software within Reason, knowing their software will be useless in any other DAWS unless Reason is running. All the more reason that Propellerhead should be making sure Reason needs to be 'running' great, running often, and preferred to be running to other DAWs.

madmacman

10 Apr 2018

Well, slowly these constant "insane" sales reinforce my doubts: Is Reason a sustainable product? Or are these the signs of demise?

sdst
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
10 Apr 2018
outdated sequencer,
I always read people saying that, but to me Reason has the best sequencer

Live and FL sequencer are nightmares compared to Reason

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2018

sdst wrote:
10 Apr 2018
antic604 wrote:
10 Apr 2018
outdated sequencer,
I always read people saying that, but to me Reason has the best sequencer

Live and FL sequencer are nightmares compared to Reason
And new does not always mean better.

I quite like the original sequencer. That was awesome. And with the auto colouring as well!

I'll have to give the devices a trial, does seem like a good deal.

jayhosking

11 Apr 2018

I've been demoing these devices, thinking that I was almost certainly going to bite, but now I'm not sure.

GQ7 (the equalizer) is fantastic. I also liked what I got out of DR1 (the big reverb) when extending out the decay times, but I still need to compare it to TSAR1R (my go-to at the moment). I was surprised how taken I was by the Ninety (phaser), since it's so rare that I reach for phaser, and even though I loved this, I'm not sure I'd need it. I was hoping the DC2 would be a nice upgrade to the chorus options I currently have, but honestly I didn't like it very much. Likewise with AP12 and Fat Space, which certainly wouldn't replace anything I'm already using.

I haven't tried out the filter, ring mod, compressor, or Antidote, mainly because I have great options for most already. But maybe I should? Is Antidote worth it for the preset patches? I like its layout and it looks super easy to program, but the Legend, VK-2, eXpanse, Grain, and Europa are sucking up all my synth attention these days. And I haven't tried Selig's new EQ yet either, which conceivably give me all of GQ7 plus band saturation.

Argh. If I didn't already own the Legend, this would be a no-brainer. As it stands, I'm not sure I need another EQ/reverb/phaser, even though I quite like them. Thoughts, anybody? Anything key I'm missing?

Loque

12 Apr 2018

jayhosking wrote:
11 Apr 2018
I've been demoing these devices, thinking that I was almost certainly going to bite, but now I'm not sure.

GQ7 (the equalizer) is fantastic. I also liked what I got out of DR1 (the big reverb) when extending out the decay times, but I still need to compare it to TSAR1R (my go-to at the moment). I was surprised how taken I was by the Ninety (phaser), since it's so rare that I reach for phaser, and even though I loved this, I'm not sure I'd need it. I was hoping the DC2 would be a nice upgrade to the chorus options I currently have, but honestly I didn't like it very much. Likewise with AP12 and Fat Space, which certainly wouldn't replace anything I'm already using.

I haven't tried out the filter, ring mod, compressor, or Antidote, mainly because I have great options for most already. But maybe I should? Is Antidote worth it for the preset patches? I like its layout and it looks super easy to program, but the Legend, VK-2, eXpanse, Grain, and Europa are sucking up all my synth attention these days. And I haven't tried Selig's new EQ yet either, which conceivably give me all of GQ7 plus band saturation.

Argh. If I didn't already own the Legend, this would be a no-brainer. As it stands, I'm not sure I need another EQ/reverb/phaser, even though I quite like them. Thoughts, anybody? Anything key I'm missing?
I really like the chorus, especially if you drive it hard. The filter has a very nice overdrive, the resonance is ok. Antidote is easy and sounds very good and it has great patches and you can use the fx with external audio. The reverbs are very different to TSR1. Imo the Synapse devices are pretty unique. Sure, you must decide if you need them.
Reason12, Win10

theshoemaker

12 Apr 2018

If sales are going down by numbers for a RE dev he has to think about options how to increase sales. So when the market is quite satureated, the only option is to drop the price to get the ones holding back because of the price. Have a look at the app stores. Huge customer base, low prices. Another model. So when props increase their user base the RE devs also benefit when having low prices on their devices, as user don't really think hard whether to spent some 150 bucks or 1000
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Psuper

12 Apr 2018

I can afford to buy what I want, however it wasn't long ago $150 was a huge sum of money to me, and is for most people at varying points in their life. I'm still extremely frugal anyway, and not an impulse buyer nor someone who derives pleasure from simply buying things. It's not a low price, but it is a reasonable price to ask if you thought you could use the devices.

SA Studio

14 Apr 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2018

OMG

They just downgraded their "buy everything bundle" from $199 to $149 in less than a month to cut losses.

No one is selling RE's if thats the case

SA Studio

14 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
10 Apr 2018
dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Apr 2018

Propellerhead seems to be in trouble, or in the very least incapable of figuring out what type of development is going to work well for them 'today' -- all the signs I recognize are pointing to it and frankly have been pointing to it for awhile. They've grown farther away from any sort of 'relationship'' with their customers and RE devs, along with all many update choices that I don't feel helped their cause.

Pretty sure their relationship with RE devs involves a mask and a gun.

jayhosking

14 Apr 2018

So I just spent the morning tinkering with Antidote. Holy moly, that's a great synth, and I really like its workflow. Got some really impressive sounds out of it, and many of the presets were also very sharp. I think that's enough to get me to bite.

Loque

14 Apr 2018

jayhosking wrote:
14 Apr 2018
So I just spent the morning tinkering with Antidote. Holy moly, that's a great synth, and I really like its workflow. Got some really impressive sounds out of it, An C670d many of the presets were also very sharp. I think that's enough to get me to bite.
You should hurry. It's over soon.
Reason12, Win10

jayhosking

14 Apr 2018

Yeah, wow. I like this a lot. Lots of overlap with other synths, but the speed in which you can put a patch together, and the presets, offer a lot. I can't even imagine getting all this AND the Legend for $150. What a deal.

Bought!

Psuper

14 Apr 2018

I dunno, I just got done running the demo of Legend and Antidote, yes they sound nice but they're full-on built in effects which is the first thing I look for, and subsequently shut off. Go dry and we get back to the side of things where you can properly see what it's made of and determine if it's going to be worth diving in.

Now I recognize that effects themselves lend value to the devices, and also recognize someone may find a particular interface enjoyable to create their own sounds. However for me I don't find much value in built-in effects due to my preferables I am familiar with, so I'm left with typical synth fare (osc,lfo,filter etc) for sound creation which isn't very exciting to me anymore-- I started way back with a cz1, korg m1 and it just doesn't do it for me these days.

Having said that, I did find Legend to have some nice pure qualities about it that stood solidly effectless, and Antidote had a nice effects workflow. Solid devices, just not for me.

jayhosking

14 Apr 2018

I tend to turn any built-in effects off once I start working with a device, but I don't mind it for browsing presets. That said, I think the effects for both devices sound quite good, better than most of the built-in effects on other devices I use regularly (e.g. Europa, eXpanse).

Not sure what form of synthesis you're into these days, Psuper, but I don't know if I've heard a subtractive softsynth sound as good as the Legend. To each their own, though!

Psuper

14 Apr 2018

jayhosking wrote:
14 Apr 2018
I tend to turn any built-in effects off once I start working with a device, but I don't mind it for browsing presets. That said, I think the effects for both devices sound quite good, better than most of the built-in effects on other devices I use regularly (e.g. Europa, eXpanse).

Not sure what form of synthesis you're into these days, Psuper, but I don't know if I've heard a subtractive softsynth sound as good as the Legend. To each their own, though!
Oh I agree, which is why I mentioned I really liked what the Legend brings to the table for pure sound, moog as it gets in digital I suppose. Plus the effects with Antidote had a great workflow so easy to string some together quickly. But just not my thing overall. My preference for sound design these days is modeled stuff like Pianoteq and Resonans, along with vocoding ala Parsec, grain goodies like Fritz and Mangle, and of course simply my own sample manipulations.

Don't forget though I'm the odd one in here, seriously. I do very different stuff than most.

• Information