ZFO2 and DYN4: two new devices from Lectric Panda!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ReasonTalk

19 Feb 2018

Lectric Panda just released two new devices: ZFO2, a dual CV utility with crossfeedback and DYN4, a quadruple serial compressor/expander. Let's check them out!

https://www.reasontalk.com/2018/02/zfo2 ... ric-panda/

ZFO in the Shop

DYN4 in the Shop

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2018

Bought ZFO2 without even trialing!

Loque

19 Feb 2018

Nice. It will be handy to have the LFOs of Nostromo in smaller device. The only thing that might be interesting is a Note-Scale option, but i think this can be rebuild.

The compressor looks also interesting, independent Look-A-Head, Dry/wet (but only master) and different compression/expansion. Would be nice to have some CV In and Out, like gain reduction, which i use pretty often to control other parameters. And i wouldnt cry, if there would be a break out for the splitted signals :-)

I am curious if the ratio can be cranked to "endless" and i will have a limiter?
Last edited by Loque on 19 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

19 Feb 2018

ReasonTalk wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018
Lectric Panda just released two new devices: ZFO2, a dual CV utility with crossfeedback and DYN4, a quadruple serial compressor/expander. Let's check them out!

How does this compressor / expander work, though? It has a band splitter, but - judging by the GUI - signal flows through all 4 stages sequentially and there's no indication of what's happening with the split? Considering it has 4 (!) sidechain inputs on the back, I'd expect it allows to split the incoming signal in up to 4 bands and assign each sidechain trigger to its own band, but I don't think this is how it works?

Knowing other Panda's devices I'm sure there's something clever there and my stupid brain can't comprehend it :D

Loque

19 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018
ReasonTalk wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018

How does this compressor / expander work, though? It has a band splitter, but - judging by the GUI - signal flows through all 4 stages sequentially and there's no indication of what's happening with the split? Considering it has 4 (!) sidechain inputs on the back, I'd expect it allows to split the incoming signal in up to 4 bands and assign each sidechain trigger to its own band, but I don't think this is how it works?

Knowing other Panda's devices I'm sure there's something clever there and my stupid brain can't comprehend it :D
4dybnflow.jpg
4dybnflow.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 10521 times
Good question with the sidechain inputs. But i expect they are not splitted, so you need to filter them for yourself before side chaining. But i might be wrong here...
Reason12, Win10

modecca

19 Feb 2018

Zfo:
Great to not have to use a full instance of Nostromo, when I just want to use it's wild lfos.

The randomization feature on the DYN-4 is a great way for someone like me that doesn't really know exactly what the device is doing with all of those dynamic types happening at the same time, to quickly hear useful results with a few throws of the dice. Also fun to have 2 or more instances for total drum loop destruction.
That panda is looking at me like he is either a zombie or possessed.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

antic604

19 Feb 2018

4dybnflow.jpg
4dybnflow.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 10466 times
19 Feb 2018
...but - judging by the GUI - signal flows through all 4 stages sequentially and there's no indication of what's happening with the split?
:)

Loque

19 Feb 2018

19 Feb 2018
4dybnflow.jpg
19 Feb 2018
...but - judging by the GUI - signal flows through all 4 stages sequentially and there's no indication of what's happening with the split?
Hope this makes the whole signal flow clear. I dont know what the details should show, so here is much room for speculation :-)
4dybnflow2.jpg
4dybnflow2.jpg (29.68 KiB) Viewed 10404 times
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

19 Feb 2018

Always love some new Panda! ZF02 will be an instantbuy (nice price too) and I’ll be trialing DYN4! Great work Rob! Keep it up! Go Panda Go!

antic604

19 Feb 2018

Loque wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018
19 Feb 2018
4dybnflow.jpg

Hope this makes the whole signal flow clear. I dont know what the details should show, so here is much room for speculation :-)
4dybnflow2.jpg
Yes, I understood it the first time hence me answering to your pic with my earlier quote about the signal going sequentially through all 4 compressors / expanders :)

Still, I don't get why there's even a frequency splitter, if only one signal goes to all four compressors / expanders. Which signal - above or below the split freq? And what happens with the other part?

Loque

19 Feb 2018

19 Feb 2018
Loque wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018

4dybnflow2.jpg
Yes, I understood it the first time hence me answering to your pic with my earlier quote about the signal going sequentially through all 4 compressors / expanders :)

Still, I don't get why there's even a frequency splitter, if only one signal goes to all four compressors / expanders. Which signal - above or below the split freq? And what happens with the other part?
Now i got it. Good question... There is something missing in the GUI, yea...
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

19 Feb 2018

Here's how it works: when the band splitter is enabled, the signal is split at the chosen frequency. Both bands then run independently through the 4 processors (effectively making it an octuple processor...): the low band goes through processor 1, then processor 2, then 3 and 4; the high band goes through 1, 2, 3 and 4 in parallel; the two resulting signals are then merged and sent to the mixer.

FLVZ

19 Feb 2018

WongoTheSane wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018
Here's how it works: when the band splitter is enabled, the signal is split at the chosen frequency. Both bands then run independently through the 4 processors (effectively making it an octuple processor...): the low band goes through processor 1, then processor 2, then 3 and 4; the high band goes through 1, 2, 3 and 4 in parallel; the two resulting signals are then merged and sent to the mixer.
I was hoping this would be the answer to Ableton's OTT, but I guess it does not work this way?

WongoTheSane

19 Feb 2018

Flavolous wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018
19 Feb 2018
I was hoping this would be the answer to Ableton's OTT, but I guess it does not work this way?
I've never used OTT but from what I can see, there are a few differences: OTT has three bands, while DYN4 has two; each processing stage in DYN4 can have it's own individual Ratio/Threshold, while OTT has none; no separate Attack/Release on OTT; no variable look-ahead in OTT; no per-processor input/output gain in DYN4. But I'm pretty sure you can get a sound very similar to OTT by simply using only two of the four processors in DYN4 (Upwards compression for the first one, Normal compression for the second) and tweaking to taste.

miscend

19 Feb 2018

19 Feb 2018
19 Feb 2018
OTT is a available for free at Xfer records.

FLVZ

19 Feb 2018

miscend wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2018
19 Feb 2018

OTT is a available for free at Xfer records.
I have this vst, but I don't enjoy using it. I don't really understand what its doing, the controls are a bit vague. Wongo has a great point though, I could probably use this new RE to similar effect if I actually sat down and played with it!

Catblack

20 Feb 2018

ZFO2 was an instabuy for me. It's been fun to play with. Here's a quick combi using a Skope so you can look at the outputs a little bigger. It's just lovely.

I really want to print out the 1000 waveforms as a nice poster and hang it on my wall.
Attachments
zfo2 select to skope.zip
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Loque

20 Feb 2018

19 Feb 2018
Hum... At first I thought that doesn't make sense, but on second thought that means the band are handled independently, that means they got different compressed. Strange not to control this independently too.
Reason12, Win10

mbfrancis

21 Feb 2018

Love this developer, I'm all over the ZFO2.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

chrischrischris

26 Feb 2018

Hi,

Is it possible to get A 16/4 Ramp on Transport Mode on The ZFO2?
I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance

Chris

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Feb 2018

chrischrischris wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2018
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Chris
It does support 16/4 with transport mode. What kind of issue are you seeing with those settings ?

chrischrischris

26 Feb 2018

rcbuse wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2018
26 Feb 2018
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Chris
It does support 16/4 with transport mode. What kind of issue are you seeing with those settings ?
Hi,

Sorry I meant 64/4

I quite like using Long Envelopes for Reverbs And Delays ETC for 16 Bar Sequences. It saves a lot of Automation Information in The Sequencer.

Thanks in advance

Chris

mbfrancis

26 Feb 2018

If this is the official thread for these products, can you please add links to the Shop in the first post?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

WongoTheSane

26 Feb 2018

mbfrancis wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2018
If this is the official thread for these products, can you please add links to the Shop in the first post?
Done, thanks for the suggestion!

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Feb 2018

26 Feb 2018

Sorry I meant 64/4

I quite like using Long Envelopes for Reverbs And Delays ETC for 16 Bar Sequences. It saves a lot of Automation Information in The Sequencer.
Ah! Yes, 64/4 and longer is missing. But, there is a pretty easy work-around. On the back is an input CV for rate.

The following CV vales will scale as follows:

+1.0 = x16
+0.5 = x4
+0.25 = x2
0 = x1
-0.25 = /2
-0.5 = /4
-1.0 = /16

So if you put a full -1.0 into that rate CV, your lowest setting of 32/4 becomes 512/4... SLOOOOW.
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 10.37.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 10.37.18 PM.png (125.87 KiB) Viewed 6501 times

• Information