When did U-he exit RE development?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
wendylou

16 Feb 2018

I have all the U-he rack extensions and picked up the same as VSTs. I just saw on my Propellerhead Products RE page that all the U-he thumbnails are red "NO image available" and the product links are gone. Is this a permanent exist from RE development by U-he?
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

joeyluck

16 Feb 2018

I hadn't noticed.

I knew u-he had stopped developing for the RE format a long time ago. And although the REs will remain in the accounts of those that already have them, still sad to see them removed from the shop :(

A little reminiscing:

Loque

16 Feb 2018

Tbh i dont care. Since i know they left RE i skipped their overpriced RE and also skipped their VSTs
Last edited by Loque on 16 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

16 Feb 2018

joeyluck wrote:
16 Feb 2018
A little reminiscing:
It all sounded so promising. Now it looks like a Rack Extension video from another dimension. This one is worse;

Who are these people & what are they talking about? Do some of them still actually exist in this universe?!

FLVZ

16 Feb 2018

Probably can't compete with RE developers like Blamsoft & Synapse? Easier for them to focus on their strongest format which is VST, RE development is probably just a distraction for them now ?

QVprod

16 Feb 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
16 Feb 2018
joeyluck wrote:
16 Feb 2018
A little reminiscing:
It all sounded so promising. Now it looks like a Rack Extension video from another dimension. This one is worse;

Who are these people & what are they talking about? Do some of them still actually exist in this universe?!
Well three of the original developers are still active, and I think only U-he removed his products from the shop.

Soeno

16 Feb 2018

Propellerhead boosted the prices for their VSTs!

EnochLight

16 Feb 2018

wendylou wrote:
16 Feb 2018
When did U-he exit RE development?
Years ago, and much of his decision was based on a drama thread that occurred which I will neither link to nor drag up, as it's pointless. And now that Reason supports VST, he has even less reason to ever return since all of his products can now be bought direct from him and used in Reason, which is what he (and most VST devs) prefers anyway.

There's still some nagging bugs in the RE versions of his products that will never be fixed, but they're not show-stoppers IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

BRIGGS

16 Feb 2018

U-who?
r11s

dioxide

16 Feb 2018

It's a shame I think, u-he make some great products. I've no plans to start using VSTs though and I already have plenty of good sounding RE synths.

Gorgon

16 Feb 2018

He got really pissed off when Theo got into an argument with him about his devices and DSP impact.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

seqoi

16 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
16 Feb 2018
He got really pissed off when Theo got into an argument with him about his devices and DSP impact.
Yes i remember that drama. That guy was truly insane like some crazy psi case. And he blamed U-he is not efficient developer because he can not run same amount of RE instances like he could in VST daw. And made u-he kinda like bad developer while U-he politely reported it was (and now we know that was then and still is TODAY case and true) RE SDK limit not their code inefficiency. After that person tortured him Urs simply said the hell with it and i would do the same. Why would i let insane people making my company look amateur while it's not in my power to change things. Nope. I remember that guy later said "sorry i was wrong" to U-he like it's ok after he pictured and destroyed company image back then.

But anyway Reason sport VST so we can have everything u-he.

I think they have one of best sounding plugins in the world today but that's just me.

O1B

16 Feb 2018

Theo?.... The guy's a sweatheart.
A King Solomonesque reputation across the inter webs
No, no.... I heard it was this guy.

CephaloPod

16 Feb 2018

I love u-he products and have owned several plugins going way back. Urs seems like a very cool guy as well. When it became clear, years ago, that the RE platform couldn't work for him, I knew the RE format wasn't going to be what everyone hoped it would be. There were plenty of signs before that, but this finalized it for me.

RE is now a very niche market, and will be forever more.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2018

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=496894
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.02.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.02.01 PM.png (62 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.02.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.02.14 PM.png (50.05 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

miscend

16 Feb 2018

Other devs have done well with RE’s like Synapse Audio, Primal Audio and Kiloheartz. In fact Primal Audio did so well with RE’s that they never did a VST port of FM4 which started out on iOS. Synapse Audio and Audio Realism tend to release their devices as REs first then release the VST versions.

The VST market is full of piracy and over saturated with too many competing products. There is zero piracy in the RE market.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2018

I didn't know their stuff was removed from the shop. That's too bad. I'm glad we're still able to download the REs we've bought at least, same with RE-2A.

EnochLight

17 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
16 Feb 2018
Other devs have done well with RE’s like Synapse Audio, Primal Audio and Kiloheartz. In fact Primal Audio did so well with RE’s that they never did a VST port of FM4 which started out on iOS. Synapse Audio and Audio Realism tend to release their devices as REs first then release the VST versions.

The VST market is full of piracy and over saturated with too many competing products. There is zero piracy in the RE market.
Indeed, although Audio Realism was doing very successful VST's before RE's (ABL, ABL2, etc), as was Synapse Audio (Dune and Dune 2)... That said, the VST market being over-saturated is just a consequence of it existing for the most part of the past +20 years. And... not sure if you've peeped into the Prop Shop lately, but RE's have only been around for 6 years yet there's a metric shit ton of stuff to wade through there. Some would call it over-saturated as well! :)

Anyway, Urs had also lost his in-house dev who learned/knew the RE SDK and never bothered to replace him (Clemens Heppner, who also did a lot of work on Diva among many of U-He's other core products). Before any/all of this happened, that was the crux of U-He's departure from RE development, and that happened quite some time before the drama-thread or subscriptions. Urs didn't have time to learn the RE SDK himself because he's too involved in their core VST/AU/AAX development (and that is the bulk of their net operating income), running the company, and now that Reason supports VST... well, we all know the story! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

adfielding

17 Feb 2018

Interesting, I had no idea the REs had been removed from the shop. While the loss of the main RE dev probably didn't help matters, I'm pretty sure the thread over on the old Props User Forum probably didn't do much to convince U-He to continue supporting REs. I seem to recall sending an e-mail to Urs afterwards to let him know that the attitude of that thread wasn't representative of all Reason users, and that I thought the Uhbik series of REs was pretty damn awesome. Uhbik-A is still one of my main go-to reverb units, and Uhbik-G is great for quick and tasty granular effects (and yeah, we've got Grain, but they both operate in very different ways).

But, hey! You can just use the VSTs now, I guess. I think for the most part I still prefer using REs when they're done well, but VST support has generally made me a very happy camper.

EnochLight

17 Feb 2018

adfielding wrote:
17 Feb 2018
But, hey! You can just use the VSTs now, I guess. I think for the most part I still prefer using REs when they're done well, but VST support has generally made me a very happy camper.
This right here sums things up for me as well! :)

miscend

17 Feb 2018

adfielding wrote:
17 Feb 2018
Interesting, I had no idea the REs had been removed from the shop. While the loss of the main RE dev probably didn't help matters, I'm pretty sure the thread over on the old Props User Forum probably didn't do much to convince U-He to continue supporting REs. I seem to recall sending an e-mail to Urs afterwards to let him know that the attitude of that thread wasn't representative of all Reason users, and that I thought the Uhbik series of REs was pretty damn awesome. Uhbik-A is still one of my main go-to reverb units, and Uhbik-G is great for quick and tasty granular effects (and yeah, we've got Grain, but they both operate in very different ways).

Funny how that old thread over on PUF keeps getting brought up here. I’m sure he could have handled the situation a little bit better. Over at KVR if you so much as have a critical opinion of anything U-he do, you get hounded by angry mobs. Urs is more or less a deity over there (a god of DSP). The Reason community is very different to crowd over at KVR. We are highly critical and we are not blind followers.

Rason

17 Feb 2018

High, sorry but I can still see the u-he products in the shop..?!? Btw was it really Theo who made them quit RE...I believe Ive seen him nagging around other devs also. Shouldnt be a reaason to give it up.

esselfortium

17 Feb 2018

Rason wrote:
17 Feb 2018
High, sorry but I can still see the u-he products in the shop..?!? Btw was it really Theo who made them quit RE...I believe Ive seen him nagging around other devs also. Shouldnt be a reaason to give it up.
I'm seeing u-he's VSTs in the shop, but not any of their REs anymore. It's a shame that some bad interactions years ago led to this.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Rason

17 Feb 2018

esselfortium wrote:
Rason wrote:
17 Feb 2018
I'm seeing u-he's VSTs in the shop, but not any of their REs anymore. It's a shame that some bad interactions years ago led to this.
Right, the REs are gone :(

selig
RE Developer

17 Feb 2018

esselfortium wrote:
17 Feb 2018
Rason wrote:
17 Feb 2018
Can we really be sure this was his primary motivation? Has he ever officially said that Theo (or that PUF thread in general) is the single reason he is out of the RE business? Apologies if this is common knowledge - otherwise, we are all just speculating, right?

I struggle with the idea that the opinion of one (or two) users, no matter how it was expressed, would cause a developer to drop an entire line of products and throw away all chances of recouping on their investment. Common sense would say there would have to be more to such an important (and uncommon) decision.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information