When did U-he exit RE development?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
18 Feb 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
18 Feb 2018
Going forward - are the ones we have likely to be broken by future Reason updates?
While it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, it's extremely unlikely. The entire point of RE's is to remain compatible with Reason going forward, no matter the update nor OS platform. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Actually, Faastwalker raises a really interesting notion, that has immediately made me wonder about it from a slightly different angle, not devices being broken as such, something different, and I wouldn't rule that out so quickly.

If/when it's decided to actually make use of the high resolution art assets that have been wasted since 2012, every single Rack Extension made may well need to be rerendered on the server and redownloaded with the new art. That'll be a fun weekend! ;)

I'm just guessing here that that's not currently done in the RE build process: it's entirely possible it is, and high res art is simply excluded from the package, but PH don't tend to implement things that are not immediately considered current requirement. So on balance it seems to me far more likely that in order to save server build processing and storage now (and since 2012), that only the standard Reason art resolution has ever been created, at least for third party products.

It's absolutely not out the realms of possibility that deleted devices won't be covered by any future automatic rebuild. Even the simple things are affected already. Consider this current scenario (ok, it's slightly unrelated as it is a different part of the RE/shop process not related to building per se, but I'd argue it is indicative because it's an issue that should/could have been fixed five years ago, but hasn't been because it's simply not considered important, but the reality is it just looks extremely poor): why does a product removed from the shop—for whatever reason—have its thumbnail removed? I don't understand why that thumbnail image is tied strictly to availability of the device on sale. If people buy (or win or in any legitmate way aquire!) a device, frankly they should not expect to see a common-or-garden placeholder for it in their device lists. Therefore removed devices are simply not considered important, and in a scenario where hundreds of REs are being rebuilt on the server, and the download servers being hammered by people downloading art, I can easily see that devices no longer available may get short shrift there and be ignored and not rebuilt.

EnochLight

19 Feb 2018

Its pretty likely we’ll have VST3 support, wireless brain control, and 100 core CPU’s before Reason supports 4K displays, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

19 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
19 Feb 2018
Its pretty likely we’ll have VST3 support, wireless brain control, and 100 core CPU’s before Reason supports 4K displays, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Awwww...at first read, i thought we will have VST3 support, wireless brain control and 100 core CPUs in next Reason update.

Now i am sad :cry:
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

19 Feb 2018

It is the few RE graveyard devices that will truely show the RE test of time, maybe users would have to just have two versions of Reason, the old version and a newer model with high res artwork? No one plugin is so important to me that I’d be super upset if it had to be ran in an older version. I feel like not everyone would agree but that’s just me :p
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

miscend

19 Feb 2018

The promise of REs is that they are forever back compatible. I don’t think we will ever need to keep older versions of Reason for compatibility purposes, the Line6 thing was a one off licensing issue and outside of Props control.

Long abandoned devices like Autoarp from SDK 1.0 still work perfectly to this day. There is no reason to think they will become ‘lesser’ members of the rack going into the future. Forward compatibility is not guaranteed, but back compat is.

scratchnsnifff

20 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
19 Feb 2018
The promise of REs is that they are forever back compatible. I don’t think we will ever need to keep older versions of Reason for compatibility purposes, the Line6 thing was a one off licensing issue and outside of Props control.

Long abandoned devices like Autoarp from SDK 1.0 still work perfectly to this day. There is no reason to think they will become ‘lesser’ members of the rack going into the future. Forward compatibility is not guaranteed, but back compat is.
Fair point, my thought is that ...
Say they did make a graphics overhaul
Would most devices look new and sleek
While the few graveyard Res would look as they do now? Not sure how that works but I feel like it would be possible
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

esselfortium

20 Feb 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Feb 2018
miscend wrote:
19 Feb 2018

While the few graveyard Res would look as they do now? Not sure how that works but I feel like it would be possible
Developers have always had to submit REs with 4k-ready graphics that are scaled down for builds, so old and abandoned devices should hopefully be fine as long as Propellerhead is hanging onto that full-resolution image data somewhere.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EnochLight

20 Feb 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Feb 2018
esselfortium wrote:
20 Feb 2018
Developers have always had to submit REs with 4k-ready graphics that are scaled down for builds, so old and abandoned devices should hopefully be fine as long as Propellerhead is hanging onto that full-resolution image data somewhere.
Matt's (Jiggery P's) post earlier addresses this. He's a dev.

My takeaway is this: if all RE's have to be re-built on Props end and require dev input, then older RE's are screwed (such as Black and Orange's stuff or, in this case, all U-He for those who own it) as well as RE's from current devs that are pulling out. If all RE's just have to be re-built on Props end (or the assets are already in place and just need to be "revealed") but don't require dev input, then we should be fine.

But as I said earlier, I don't expect to have to worry about this for a while. Not until sometime around the apocalypse, or when Valve releases Half-Life 3. Which may all be on the same day, knowing my luck. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

buddard
RE Developer

21 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Feb 2018
My takeaway is this: if all RE's have to be re-built on Props end and require dev input, then older RE's are screwed (such as Black and Orange's stuff or, in this case, all U-He for those who own it) as well as RE's from current devs that are pulling out. If all RE's just have to be re-built on Props end (or the assets are already in place and just need to be "revealed") but don't require dev input, then we should be fine.
PH can build high res versions of all REs without developer intervention. So you're fine! :puf_smile:

EnochLight

21 Feb 2018

buddard wrote:
21 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
20 Feb 2018
PH can build high res versions of all REs without developer intervention. So you're fine! :puf_smile:
That's great news; thanks! I'm looking forward to Half-Life 3 and Reason supporting 4K! :D ;)

buddard
RE Developer

22 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2018
I'm looking forward to Half-Life 3 and Reason supporting 4K! :D ;)
Or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first! ;)

EnochLight

22 Feb 2018

buddard wrote:
22 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2018
I'm looking forward to Half-Life 3 and Reason supporting 4K! :D ;)
Or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first! ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

miscend

22 Feb 2018

RB would it be possible for Propellerheads to create some sort of RE to VST wrapper. And then rebuild REs as VSTs?

QVprod

22 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
22 Feb 2018
RB would it be possible for Propellerheads to create some sort of RE to VST wrapper. And then rebuild REs as VSTs?
Wouldn't need to. If a person can build a RE they can probably build a VST. As for IDT REs the equivalent would be Kontakt. From what I understand the core of the code is the same which is why some of the first REs were ports. But then Also unlikely. Wouldn't be in Propellerhead's interest to create VST plugins while claiming they still intend to enhance RE.

doctecazoid

25 Feb 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Feb 2018
I took advantage of that crossgrade option recently and grabbed VST versions of all the Uhbik REs. Haven't had a chance to stress test them yet, can anyone confirm that the VSTs are significantly lighter on CPU than their RE counterparts?
How did you take advantage of the crossgrade? I went through my email archive (I don't delete all that much) and couldn't find anything from PH or u-he regarding the offer. Did you have the email, or did you contact u-he or PH about it? Thanks.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2018

doctecazoid wrote:
25 Feb 2018
dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Feb 2018
I took advantage of that crossgrade option recently and grabbed VST versions of all the Uhbik REs. Haven't had a chance to stress test them yet, can anyone confirm that the VSTs are significantly lighter on CPU than their RE counterparts?
How did you take advantage of the crossgrade? I went through my email archive (I don't delete all that much) and couldn't find anything from PH or u-he regarding the offer. Did you have the email, or did you contact u-he or PH about it? Thanks.
If you forgot to check off the "sign up" mailer box when you bought your Uhbik RE's, then you wouldn't have got any offers from U-He (which were sent years ago). But Urs is cool - just reach out to him and ask if you can crossgrade. He'll ask for proof of purchase in some form (which you can provide him from your Properllerhead account, I would imagine)...

https://www.u-he.com/cms/uhesupport

Mr. Watts

03 Dec 2018

I know this thread is kind of old but I did find this. Doesn’t answer the entire question but does give an answer for why they were removed. Not entirely sure how it’s supposed to read though in regards to “subscription only”.
Attachments
C117D20C-1F23-45C0-8E8E-FD71921E3BA8.jpeg
C117D20C-1F23-45C0-8E8E-FD71921E3BA8.jpeg (214.33 KiB) Viewed 1669 times

Loque

03 Dec 2018

They said "go subscription only"... Aha... Interesting... That will be the right time to switch the platform or stop making music...or buy hardware...
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

03 Dec 2018

Haha no way that would be a suicidal decision!

Maybe they were trying to get U-He to go subscription only to promote subscription, that would be a fairly clever way to get more people to adopt subsctiption.
U-He obviously said no :-)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

03 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
03 Dec 2018
They said "go subscription only"... Aha... Interesting... That will be the right time to switch the platform or stop making music...or buy hardware...
They've said a lot of silly things, and usually phrased in such a way as to be intentionally misleading (I can think of two examples off the top of my head they've sent devs in the past six months where that's the case). But no amount of close parsing of carefully chosen verbiage has ever made me think they said "REs will be subscription only".

He's talking a load of old crap having either totally misunderstood/misread the original subs proposal*, or he's wilfully shit-stirring.

(*I mean, I pointed out at the time the subs proposal was never going to work; not a single question I raised was ever responded to. And pretty much every criticism turned out to be on or near the mark. The only thing I totally didn't expect was people ... uh... subscribing to free devices. They do, they really do).

miscend

03 Dec 2018

English isn't their first language

GRB

03 Dec 2018

miscend wrote:
03 Dec 2018
English isn't their first language
You mean Urs from Germany or The Props from Sweden? :puf_smile:
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

• Information