Introducing the ES01 Analog Synthesizer (NEW: updated to version 1.1)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
aeox
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

ekss wrote:
20 May 2019
lessera wrote:
19 May 2019
Nice synth for sure. Just what I was looking for.

In the era of BIG and complex do-everything-imaginable synths, it is nice to have something with an easy-to-use interface, that I can quickly dial in a useful tone without a lot of fuss.

My new go-to synth for when I want that VA sound.

Nice work!
Thank you for these kind words! Happy to hear it’s being used!

Feel free to post tracks where you’ve been using ES01 in this thread! :puf_smile:
I was surprised to see that the synth challenge winning tracks weren't in the demo section of the RE page!

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

Been trialing it and really like the sound, especially the basses. Finalizing something, will share
Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

ekss
RE Developer

20 May 2019

craven wrote:
20 May 2019
I used ES01 for the bass in this demo. Love the fatness of it. <3

Nice track, also cool mandelbrot pic! :puf_smile:

ekss
RE Developer

20 May 2019

aeox wrote:
20 May 2019
ekss wrote:
20 May 2019

Thank you for these kind words! Happy to hear it’s being used!

Feel free to post tracks where you’ve been using ES01 in this thread! :puf_smile:
I was surprised to see that the synth challenge winning tracks weren't in the demo section of the RE page!
Oh, had totally forgot to enter them in the demo-playlist! :oops:
Added the two that where still online to it just now. Thanks for the reminder!!

miscend

21 May 2019

craven wrote:
20 May 2019
I used ES01 for the bass in this demo. Love the fatness of it. <3

Sound really beefy

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

the bottom layer, one of the plucky synths and the arp in the outro are all ES01s. Really like the sound of this thing, its fat, dirty and analogy...

MannequinRaces

26 May 2019

Desmondblack wrote:
26 May 2019
the bottom layer, one of the plucky synths and the arp in the outro are all ES01s. Really like the sound of this thing, its fat, dirty and analogy...

Sounds really nice!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

I don't 'need' more synths, so I bought ES-01 :lol:
It is nice on its own, but work really well when layered with ReDominator. The simplicity is a benefit too as you just dial something in fast and keep moving.

Anyhow, to the dev: What is the "VCF Lag" trimmer"? I mean, what does it do to the sound, and how is it best used?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

buddard
RE Developer

26 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
26 May 2019
Anyhow, to the dev: What is the "VCF Lag" trimmer"? I mean, what does it do to the sound, and how is it best used?
I can answer that!

It's the response time of the cutoff parameter when being modulated. Modulate VCF cutoff with a square wave from the LFO and you'll hear a pretty big difference when moving the VCF lag knob.

While the old static setting was faithful to how the original synth behaved, lower lag settings lets you make a lot more "snappy" sounds.

ekss
RE Developer

26 May 2019

Desmondblack wrote:
26 May 2019

Sounds great! :puf_smile:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2019

Yeah, so I bought ES-01. It is great to layer it with ReDominator, they complement each other. You can hear them layered in my Kitput remix, both are layered up for the bass and the high string. It gets going in the second half of the excerpt.
viewtopic.php?p=448483#p448483
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

ekss wrote:
20 May 2019
aeox wrote:
20 May 2019

Oh, had totally forgot to enter them in the demo-playlist! :oops:
Added the two that where still online to it just now. Thanks for the reminder!!

:D

Hey, took me a year to notice!

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2019

Can't praise this thing enough, the sound that comes from it is so effortlessly fat. I use it now almost as a standard bass / pad layer in all tracks. Really love it.

ekss
RE Developer

02 Jul 2019

Desmondblack wrote:
30 Jun 2019
Can't praise this thing enough, the sound that comes from it is so effortlessly fat. I use it now almost as a standard bass / pad layer in all tracks. Really love it.
So happy to hear this! :puf_smile:
That Missed Calls track sounds really fat!!!

scratchnsnifff

06 Jul 2019

Sill hoping this filter gets chopped out and sold as a nice standalone filter!

This thing had the best sounding Re filter imo.

Would be cool to see this filter with a in house filter env :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ekss
RE Developer

29 Sep 2020

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Jul 2019

Hey scratchnsnifff!
I chopped out the filter and placed it in the feedback loop of a delay circuit. If you put mix on full wet, turn down Delay to zero sec and also zero out Feedback it works as a normal filter. And you also got a high pass equivalent in there! :puf_smile:
Check it out here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ter-delay/

There's no envelope in it but you can connect one via CV!

scratchnsnifff

23 Oct 2020

ekss wrote:
29 Sep 2020
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Jul 2019

Hey scratchnsnifff!
I chopped out the filter and placed it in the feedback loop of a delay circuit. If you put mix on full wet, turn down Delay to zero sec and also zero out Feedback it works as a normal filter. And you also got a high pass equivalent in there! :puf_smile:

ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!! you are the best :)

can't wait to see what you could do with making a wavetable or FM synth :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

moneykube

23 Oct 2020

ok which is better ES01 or ES101... similar or different beasts?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ekss
RE Developer

24 Oct 2020

scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 Oct 2020
ekss wrote:
29 Sep 2020

Hey scratchnsnifff!

ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!! you are the best :)

can't wait to see what you could do with making a wavetable or FM synth :D
You will soon find out! ;)

ekss
RE Developer

24 Oct 2020

moneykube wrote:
23 Oct 2020
ok which is better ES01 or ES101... similar or different beasts?

ES01 is an CS01 emulation with great accuracy and added functionality. ES101 is not an emulation, but rather "inspired by" (SH101, Juno106, etc). It shares a bunch of features with ES01 but all in all a different beast.

They make a great duo since ES01 has the mod matrix with a lot of CV sources and ES101 has quite a few CV destinations.
I would say that the biggest difference are the envelopes (more snappy on ES101) and the Filters (self resonating 24dB ladder filters on ES101 and not self resonating 12 with opional 24 db on ES01).

And that you have the FM oscillator and the Sine/RingModulation oscillator, and the additional FXs on ES101.

But as alwasy, best way to find out what you like is to download the trial and test them yourself!

moneykube

24 Oct 2020

ekss wrote:
24 Oct 2020
ES01 is an CS01 emulation with great accuracy and added functionality. ES101 is not an emulation, but rather "inspired by" (SH101, Juno106, etc). It shares a bunch of features with ES01 but all in all a different beast.

They make a great duo since ES01 has the mod matrix with a lot of CV sources and ES101 has quite a few CV destinations.
I would say that the biggest difference are the envelopes (more snappy on ES101) and the Filters (self resonating 24dB ladder filters on ES101 and not self resonating 12 with opional 24 db on ES01).

And that you have the FM oscillator and the Sine/RingModulation oscillator, and the additional FXs on ES101.

But as alwasy, best way to find out what you like is to download the trial and test them yourself!
Might make an excellent bundle in the future !?! :puf_wink:
love the demos on both... on the to try list for sure
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ekss
RE Developer

24 Oct 2020

moneykube wrote:
24 Oct 2020
ekss wrote:
24 Oct 2020

Might make an excellent bundle in the future !?! :puf_wink:
love the demos on both... on the to try list for sure
Yes indeed..!

Billy+

06 Nov 2020

Any chance this device will support original hardware patches via conversion like the DX7 to PX7 or Juno to Redominator?

DougalDarkly

06 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
06 Nov 2020
Any chance this device will support original hardware patches via conversion like the DX7 to PX7 or Juno to Redominator?
The original hardware - Yamaha CS01 - had no patch memory, so I don't think it's possible.

Maybe for the ES101?

ekss
RE Developer

07 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
06 Nov 2020
As already pointed out, the original doesn’t have a patch bank.
If you right click and select “reset device” you will get a vanilla CS01, setting the faders to the same position on the hardware and software should result in the same sound. There are trimmers in the CS01 that might be off, then you could compensate by adjusting vcf freq and reaonance. You can use “constant” as mod source to offset those via the mod matrix. If you want the original noise level you should raise the trimmer on the back to around 20-25. That said, it could off course vary from individual synths :)

• Information