Introducing the ES01 Analog Synthesizer (NEW: updated to version 1.1)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ReasonTalk

15 Feb 2018

Available in the Propellerhead shop now!

The ES01 by Ekssperimental Sounds in collaboration with Robotic Bean is a faithful recreation of a beloved analog classic. The concept and GUI are by Ekssperimental Sounds while the DSP development is by Robotic Bean. The ES01 is Ekssperimental Sounds' first Rack Extension. While the hardware which the ES01 is based on was originally marketed as an entry-level synth, it became a tool of choice by many professional artists for its ease of use in achieving great sounds, particularly bass lines. And now that sound with its simple to use interface comes to Reason!

Read more about it here!

nickb523
RE Developer

15 Feb 2018

Ooooh.... I like the look of this!

Perfect candidate for a custom combinator bank! ;)

Kalm

15 Feb 2018

This looks nifty
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Psuper

15 Feb 2018

I load up forum view, see rack extensions: "Re: Introducing the ES01 Anal..." :o

Glad to see it wasn't what it appeared to be!
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

SoulState

15 Feb 2018

:lightbulb: Nice, well put together promo ad
:reason:

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Feb 2018

The SH-101 RE I never knew I wanted. Looks like a great little package.

The UI looks like the right balance between the flavor of the original and a well-considered rack layout. I'm not surprised to read the designer also designed the UI for Synchronous (though I am rather astounded to see him credited with the Resonans UI, which is kind of like discovering Tycho used to play keyboard for Nickelback).

Aosta

15 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
15 Feb 2018
I load up forum view, see rack extensions: "Re: Introducing the ES01 Anal..." :o

Glad to see it wasn't what it appeared to be!
Whatever floats your boat I guess and if the synth fits....
Tend the flame

EdGrip

15 Feb 2018

fieldframe wrote:
15 Feb 2018
(though I am rather astounded to see him credited with the Resonans UI, which is kind of like discovering Tycho used to play keyboard for Nickelback).
Ha! :lol:

Although I do like the look and UI of TS-1 and TM-1. Clean and hardware-lookin'.

The acid example in the video sounds tasty!

EnochLight

15 Feb 2018

Nice! The hardware units still sell for a few hundred bucks on eBay. Might check this thing out!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

15 Feb 2018

Yes! More of this. I'm a total sucker for real world emulations.

geronimo

15 Feb 2018

Not very innovative, alas _ :oops:

EnochLight

15 Feb 2018

geronimo wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Not very innovative, alas _ :oops:
The Dust Brothers, Underworld, OMD, Richard Barbieri and Chick Corea would disagree with that sentiment. :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Faastwalker

15 Feb 2018

Nice ;) I love the SH-101 and have been close to buying one on a number of occasions (but the e-bay price just kept going a little too high). Would be good to have a good 101 emulation in the Rack. If it gets close to the character of the original it will be a great addition. Love the GUI as well. After reading the preview I realise this guy is responsible for a lot of excellent looking devices in the Rack, including Resonans which is a fantastic GUI. Looking forward to hearing more from this. If it sounds good & the price is right will probably be an instabuy for me.

eusti

15 Feb 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Nice ;) I love the SH-101....
I think this is an emulation of the Yamaha CS-1... I find the name a bit problematic - especially with that font... Looks a bit too much like ESQ-1 to me... But still looking forward to test this out! Love the look!

D.

Faastwalker

15 Feb 2018

eusti wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
15 Feb 2018
I think this is an emulation of the Yamaha CS-1... I find the name a bit problematic - especially with that font... Looks a bit too much like ESQ-1 to me... But still looking forward to test this out! Love the look!

D.
Oops! I got that one a bit wrong! I assumed this was an SH-101 inspired RE. I don't think I've seen much of the Yamaha CS-1 before. Actually I don't think I've ever seen it! It looks a little like the SH-101 in layout & has similar features on first glance. Just Google'd it;

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/cs1.php

miscend

16 Feb 2018

Last edited by miscend on 16 Feb 2018, edited 3 times in total.

miscend

16 Feb 2018

eusti wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
15 Feb 2018

D.
Now that I watched the demo it does sound like a CS01.

Loque

16 Feb 2018

Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2018

I really like this thing.

chimp_spanner

16 Feb 2018

It's really good! As I said on the RT facebook post, lots of character. If the dev is reading, I'd like to request sustain pedal support for pads and things. Otherwise it's damn near perfect! Sits really nicely alongside the ABL3, ReDominator and all the other real world emulations in my rack :D

joeyluck

16 Feb 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
16 Feb 2018
It's really good! As I said on the RT facebook post, lots of character. If the dev is reading, I'd like to request sustain pedal support for pads and things. Otherwise it's damn near perfect! Sits really nicely alongside the ABL3, ReDominator and all the other real world emulations in my rack :D
You could assign the sustain pedal via the mod matrix. Choose Sustain Pedal as the Source and Release as the Destination. Perhaps a plus of not having this behavior by default is you could assign other things to your sustain pedal for some manual gate-type effects. Fun to apply to Freq Cutoff, VCO Wave, Volume, etc.

chimp_spanner

16 Feb 2018

joeyluck wrote:
16 Feb 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
16 Feb 2018
You could assign the sustain pedal via the mod matrix. Choose Sustain Pedal as the Source and Release as the Destination. Perhaps a plus of not having this behavior by default is you could assign other things to your sustain pedal for some manual gate-type effects. Fun to apply to Freq Cutoff, VCO Wave, Volume, etc.
True! Lemme try it out now real quick...

**Edit: yeah that works a treat! Sustain decays gradually over time but it's long enough for me to use as intended. Thanks for the tip Joey!

miscend

16 Feb 2018

This sounds nice and is light on DSP. I think it sits right up there with other top analogue modelled synths. It’s easy to quickly dial good sounds out of it too. Robot Bean are no doubt a coding powerhouse.

I just hate to be the one that brings up discussion on price. But the limited feature set (being an emulation of a 1osc budget synth) just screams budget price.

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
16 Feb 2018
I just hate to be the one that brings up discussion on price. But the limited feature set (being an emulation of a 1osc budget synth) just screams budget price.
I'm not normally one to criticize RE prices, but I need to make an exception here. This is WAAAAAY too expensive. IMO, after playing with it and seeing what it is, this is a $29 re, and it should have a $19 intro price. But even then I still wouldn't buy it because my other REs already cover the ES01's sonic territory, and the ES01 doesn't offer anything else. Breath controller? Ummm....yeeeaaaaah, lol. In today's RE vs VST (or even RE vs RE) world, you need to up your game. Features are too limited, GUI too small, lacks bells and whistles, and being a faithful 1:1 emulation is not a big deal for such a basic and limited synth. If you made this a VST for the same price you would get KILLED on that other forum.

I'd be curious what you would charge if you made a RE cs80 emulation. Based on the ES01's price I'm guessing you'd price it at $320.

Good luck to you!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information