Introducing the ES01 Analog Synthesizer (NEW: updated to version 1.1)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dioxide

16 Feb 2018

I really like the sound of this. I wouldn't let the fact that it appears to be fairly simple put you off. It isn't a swiss army knife style that will do a wide range of unusual oscillators, FM and waveshaping, it is a synth for tone. It just has a great sound even when it is doing quite simple things.

Tumble

16 Feb 2018

You're paying for the signature sound, not the feature set. This is literally the only CS01 emulation out there (to my knowledge!), so that has to be factored in as well.

I'm not familiar with the original, but I think the price is perfectly fair if it is indeed an accurate emulation.

stp2015

16 Feb 2018

Congrats on the release! I have purchased essentially all of the virtual analog emulation REs and like this one, too.

But I do think it is a bit on the expensive side and will not get it for now. I think 29 is what I would pay for the device, maybe 39. Currently it is on sale for 59, the same as Parsec.

Now this is not a general criticism, but I do want to share with the developers what I think about the pricing.

Nevertheless: Seems like a great device and I am looking forward to seeing more from you! :puf_smile: :puf_smile: :puf_smile:

stp2015

16 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
16 Feb 2018
I'm not normally one to criticize RE prices, but I need to make an exception here. This is WAAAAAY too expensive. IMO, after playing with it and seeing what it is, this is a $29 re, and it should have a $19 intro price.
Actually agree with this statement (but am not angry about the developers' choice to make it more expensive).

tc13

16 Feb 2018

stp2015 wrote:
16 Feb 2018
Congrats on the release! I have purchased essentially all of the virtual analog emulation REs and like this one, too.

But I do think it is a bit on the expensive side and will not get it for now. I think 29 is what I would pay for the device, maybe 39. Currently it is on sale for 59, the same as Parsec.

Now this is not a general criticism, but I do want to share with the developers what I think about the pricing.

Nevertheless: Seems like a great device and I am looking forward to seeing more from you! :puf_smile: :puf_smile: :puf_smile:
The CS-01 was the first synt I bought back in 1983. I payed something like $150. At the same time I bought a Boss DR110 drum machine for another $200. Earlier I had bought the cheapest 4-track porta I could find (I think it was something like $350-400. This very basic set up costed me almost $700... A couple of years later I bought a sampler, an Akai X7000 that could sample a couple of seconds ($1000)

How times have changed...

And now I cant wait to have enough time available to try out the ES01 and remember the "good ol days"

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2018

Tumble wrote:
16 Feb 2018
You're paying for the signature sound, not the feature set. This is literally the only CS01 emulation out there (to my knowledge!), so that has to be factored in as well.

I'm not familiar with the original, but I think the price is perfectly fair if it is indeed an accurate emulation.
Sure, however as a consumer I'm thinking if this wasn't sold as an emulation of the CS01 (a synth I have no emotional/historical connection to) or an emulation of anything, would it still hold up on its own synth merits and be something I would pay $59 and potentially $79 for? For me at least, the answer is a huge no.

According to the description this isn't a 1:1 emulation - the "new" features he added are - get ready wait for this - a sub-oscillator, unison, and....polyphony. I mean what new feature are they going to add next? A sine waveform on the VCO? I don't mean to be harsh - I just want to see rack extensions do well. Maybe this will. But if it doesn't do well it'll be no mystery why.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Zac

16 Feb 2018

Nice to see this. I look forward to trying it out.

Also nice to see two devs getting together to make it happen. It may also have influenced the price point as both need to make some money.

Love the UI. I use redominator a lot because i like the UI and sound so hopefully this will be the same.

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2018

Forget about features for a second. Amount of features is not everything that makes a synth, a good sounding synth. This is one of the best sounding synths I've ever heard!

Hats off to the DSP guy.

With a really bad GUI, I could see this going for $40-50 in the shop but as you can see, someone took some extra time to make it look very nice. I'd say that's worth a good chunk to most people. On top of that, it's a one of a kind novelty RE in the rack. Either you like it and will pay the price, or you don't and won't.

steff3

17 Feb 2018

Well, seems like feeling about the GUI can be mixed (had a DX7 and liked it - never thought the the GUI design was great though ...)

How it sounds in the video posted in this thread seems great .... not necessary just another VA synth .... also it has mod matrix and quite some CV inputs ... should make it versatile ....

Definitely seems to be a welcome addition ....

just my thoughts

Data_Shrine

17 Feb 2018

Very interesting, I like the sounds i'm hearing from the demos.. I might pick it up later when it's on sale again.

eusti

18 Feb 2018

Wow! Just took the thing for a test drive! Nice! Very inspiring! Not sure why... Like it better than TAL-Bassline for just playing around with it...
Not sure why, but this somehow feels more intuitive to me... Maybe because it is in the rack as an RE and not in a separate window...
Looking at it before I felt the price a bit high, but now I'm happy I got it... Not sure if worth the full price in comparison... But then it sounds really good and invites me to play... Can't really put a price tag on that, I guess...

D.

Tumble

18 Feb 2018

The sound, to me, is just immediatly pleasant. Strikes me as being especially good for house/rave.

challism

19 Feb 2018

I love the sound this synth makes. I fell in love with it, immediately. It's capable of making a pretty wide range of crazy morphing type stuff. And it has such a nice analogue sound. I think the Devs did a wonderful job with every aspect of this RE. It is very well thought out and designed. And it's easy on DSP, which isn't something you cant say about many other great sounding synths.

I feel like some of you guys are being pretty harsh on the price point they have decided upon. Of course you would like to pay 19, 29 or 39 for it. It would be even better for free, would it not? I don't feel this price is unreasonable. A lot of work went into it and the Devs deserve to make something from it. Don't forget there are 2 Devs on this project, and Props are taking their cut, of course.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdGrip

19 Feb 2018

It's priced comparably to ABL3, and ABL3 isn't even the only good 303 emulator - it's just the best one. Nobody says ABL3 should be €29.

ABL3 also has the advantage of being available as a VST so it can more easily recoup its development costs from more buyers. ES01 doesn't have that option.

It looks like a synth that's more versatile than its interface might suggest, and low CPU means you can layer them up in combinators! Rave!

Loque

19 Feb 2018

I tried this synths and the basic waveforms are quite useful. The subs are nice. The sound is not so easy to reproduce with the subs in other synths, so it is quite unique. The patches are quite good.

The noise switch on background is anyoing, so i keep it off. The drift sounds very linear. The LFO could be faster, but its ok. The filter is not my type of sound.

It's a good synth, but not my type of thing i am looking for. I am more the endless sound tweaking dude and i want fm and stuff. The price is, well, if you want that sound, you gotta pay. I have ABL3 and payed the price, because it is unique but also very limited, but it cannot be reproduced with something else. It's the same for organ type synths and stuff...
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2018

challism wrote:
19 Feb 2018
I feel like some of you guys are being pretty harsh on the price point they have decided upon. Of course you would like to pay 19, 29 or 39 for it. It would be even better for free, would it not? I don't feel this price is unreasonable. A lot of work went into it and the Devs deserve to make something from it. Don't forget there are 2 Devs on this project, and Props are taking their cut, of course.
Yeah, well, I'm definitely not a cheapskate, but after giving it a go in the track below (all synths are ES01) I still don't think it's a $79 (!) synth. It's not a $59 synth either. It would be a good $29 synth though. Just my personal opinion based on what's out there in the RE and VST world. And Ernst has me spoiled - I just want MORE.

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

miscend

19 Feb 2018

I’d love to see what these guys could come up with if they made a fully featured synth RE with at least three oscs.

Anyway you can buy the keyboard version for £150-200 on eBay.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-CS01-Vi ... cvip-panel

WillyOD

19 Feb 2018

Demos sound very good. Too bad I'm all RE'd out and broke. This is in my top 3 RE's to be trialed when I'm returning to music making.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

jayhosking

21 Feb 2018

Just spent a fun night playing with this synth. Lots of good sounds out of it. In a sense, it makes me appreciate my older days in Reason, when most of my effects were not "in the box", and thus the sounds end up being much more sonically playful because I'm taking more advantage of all the modular features of Reason. Also makes me realize Subtractor and Thor could get a new lease on life basically by adding a unison/spread feature built in, hah. Overall some really nice sounds, though not necessarily the old synth I was looking for (I'm still waiting for a killer CS-80 RE). I think I may even participate in the contest for once!

CR68

21 Feb 2018

i love this synth! it sounds amazing and is so easy to use! must buy!!!

JdA57

21 Feb 2018

WOW!!! Best RE since a long time. I'm not shure, but think bought the original 1982 / 1983 (??).

I like this RE very much, Instant buy :thumbs_up: and really, really; for this beast only 59,- EURO :o WOW!!!
Very good pricing. And I think 79,- EURO are a very fair price too. Again: fantastic!

Really sounds very, very good, very good GUI and like the original; very flexible and simple to use. Fantastic! Best RE of the Year. Thx!! :thumbs_up:

Voyager

21 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
19 Feb 2018
challism wrote:
19 Feb 2018
Yeah, well, I'm definitely not a cheapskate, but after giving it a go in the track below (all synths are ES01) I still don't think it's a $79 (!) synth. It's not a $59 synth either. It would be a good $29 synth though. Just my personal opinion based on what's out there in the RE and VST world. And Ernst has me spoiled - I just want MORE.

Nice tracks and very well executed hurricane, you totally catch the 80' spirit :) Joyride is the one i prefer the most btw ;)

ekss
RE Developer

02 Mar 2018

Herman Crantz made a video taking the ES01 :re: for a spin:

• Information