Is it possible to change category of REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

15 Feb 2018

There are some REs that - for me - are wrongly categorised, eg. Lectric Panda's Korde and Propulsion show up as Instruments, whereas they belong in Utilities, like other sequencers eg. RPG-8 or Matrix. Or maybe all of them should be in Players instead?

Well, doesn't matter much, but it made me scratch my head a bit when I first installed and couldn't find them :)

Is it possible to change that from user level?

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Feb 2018

The categories are currently hardcoded inside the RE. I can't remember what it was now, but there are some behaviors that force the category to instrument. I want to say it was accepting notes and creating a note lane make it an instrument instead of a utility.

Someday I hope to have a Korde / Propulsion player.

antic604

15 Feb 2018

rcbuse wrote:
15 Feb 2018
The categories are currently hardcoded inside the RE. I can't remember what it was now, but there are some behaviors that force the category to instrument. I want to say it was accepting notes and creating a note lane make it an instrument instead of a utility.

Can you maybe just move them to Players at least as it's much more suiting?
The guideline seem to be from before v9 when Players were added.

theshoemaker

15 Feb 2018

In R10 you can create your own lists with patches, devices everything mixed. That's closed what you can achieve with R10.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

buddard
RE Developer

15 Feb 2018

rcbuse wrote:
15 Feb 2018

Yeah, there used to be a limitation that only instrument devices could have a sequencer track with a note lane created automatically. This limitation is gone now, at least in SDK 2.5 / Reason 9.5+ (not sure whether the behaviour is SDK-dependent or Reason-dependent). TM-1 Trigger Multiplexer is a utility, and it auto creates a note lane.

buddard
RE Developer

15 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Can you maybe just move them to Players at least as it's much more suiting?
The guideline seem to be from before v9 when Players were added.
It's not yet possible to create Players with the SDK. But even if it was, I don't think you can move existing devices into this category, as Players has the limitation that they have to be connected to an instrument device. So moving an Instrument or Utility into the Player category would break a lot of existing songs and combinator patches.

nickb523
RE Developer

15 Feb 2018

Stop right clicking in the rack and use the browser and user favourites lists. Took a bit of getting used to for me but it works.

antic604

16 Feb 2018

buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2018
I don't think you can move existing devices into this category, as Players has the limitation that they have to be connected to an instrument device.
Both Korde and Propulsion need to be connected to an instrument, so at least this requirement is met.

buddard
RE Developer

16 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
16 Feb 2018
buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2018
I don't think you can move existing devices into this category, as Players has the limitation that they have to be connected to an instrument device.
Both Korde and Propulsion need to be connected to an instrument, so at least this requirement is met.
No, they don't have to be connected to an instrument, they have CV outputs that you can connect anywhere. For instance you can connect Propulsion to CV-O, which is a Utility. Or you can connect various instances of Korde and Step to the inputs on a Select CV Switch, which is also a Utility. And so on.

antic604

16 Feb 2018

nickb523 wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Stop right clicking in the rack and use the browser and user favourites lists. Took a bit of getting used to for me but it works.
Are people really doing this still (right-clicking to add devices from the drop down)? I was always surprised how many Props' own videos were showing that, until I realised they're for old Reason versions when there was no browser and/or drag & drop.

And yes, 'favourites' might be a way to go, but I actually like scrolling through the list of (usually) beautiful thumbnails for devices as it gives me an incentive and inspiration to try something new, rather than the same ones all over again.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
16 Feb 2018
nickb523 wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Are people really doing this still (right-clicking to add devices from the drop down)? I was always surprised how many Props' own videos were showing that, until I realised they're for old Reason versions when there was no browser and/or drag & drop.

And yes, 'favourites' might be a way to go, but I actually like scrolling through the list of (usually) beautiful thumbnails for devices as it gives me an incentive and inspiration to try something new, rather than the same ones all over again.
I am definitely still doing this. It shows the devices I use the most at the top of each category. I do use the browser, and getting used to it, but sometimes right clicking where you are is faster than hitting f3 and searching for your favourites list or category at the left of the screen.

antic604

16 Feb 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Feb 2018
...faster than hitting f3 and searching for your favourites list or category at the left of the screen.
Yeah, I can see that. If I know what I need I use Search box to find it, but it's PITA because a) only works within currently selected category, b) requires confirmation with Enter. Small things, but annoying :)

BTW, our lives and time must be so precious if we're discussing time lost right-clicking, scrolling or hitting Enter ;) :D

kuhliloach

16 Feb 2018

Yeah... this is an annoyance, now that you mention it. Is it an instrument? A utility? An effect? If not why? If so where? If at first you don't find it just keep looking? Dig, dig, then dig some more? Is this the splitter I've been looking for Obi-Wan?

It would be most appropriate to allow the user to categorize, and make custom categories. <--- apply echo to this sentence for maximum effect, and a few crickets

PhillipOrdonez

16 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
16 Feb 2018

BTW, our lives and time must be so precious if we're discussing time lost right-clicking, scrolling or hitting Enter ;) :D
:D Time is the most precious thing available!

Rainwaves

23 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
15 Feb 2018
There are some REs that - for me - are wrongly categorised, eg. Lectric Panda's Korde and Propulsion show up as Instruments, whereas they belong in Utilities, like other sequencers eg. RPG-8 or Matrix. Or maybe all of them should be in Players instead?
Some REs end up sorted into the wrong category because the category affects certain functionality. For example, Players in Reason are only compatible with Instrument type devices. If an RE developer wants to create a note utility that should both send and receive notes, presumably they will want to ensure that Players can also be stacked on top of said device. Unfortunately this means that they must be labelled as 'Instrument' and not 'Utility'. Indeed this is just one example that can lead to the issue you are having.
:reason: Stay tuned! :puf_smile: :re:

• Information