POLL: Rent-A-Rack .. Have You Subscribed?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Have you tried out the RE Subscription model?

1 - No
89%
2 - Yes. Tried one month
4%
3 - Yes. Every month ongoing
8%

Total votes: 131
hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2018

While vehemently opposed to music software subscriptions of any kind, there is ONE plan out there that has actually got me thinking about maybe possibly going for it, and only because it seems like this company is really dedicated to bringing out high quality new toys every update, and the toys that they do bring out are very appealing to me. That company is Roland. But then, here's how I imagine that will go:

Allow me too think out loud -

SO I'll subscribe to their cloud and pay $19.99 a month. After a year and $240 later, I get one of their plugins to keep forever, but I lose access to everything else.

I've probably created a lot of projects that year, and in those projects have more than likely used multiple Roland plugins because I imagine I'd have wanted to use them.

Once I start using them though, I start thinking to myself how this is going to be once I stop paying for the cloud. Should I just bounce everything to audio as soon as I am done with the project JUST IN CASE? Am I realistically going to pay $240 a year for multiple years to rent plugins? If I do it for a second year, is it smart to pay $480 for two Roland emulations???? But then I hear Steven Slate with his "but you'll have access to ALL of our plugins for such a low price!" and then I punch him in the mouth because as soon as I stop paying, Steven, ALL those plugins will go away. This isn't cable. Audio software is not a household utility. OR IS IT?

And now I'm either consciously aware while making music, that I have to bounce the Roland plugins to audio, because the chance is always there that I will not want to continue subscribing. Or I decide to leave them be, and deal with bouncing them to audio later, after I decide I will no longer be renting them.

And so Roland continue to release emulations of more of their gear, of which I am personally waiting for a JP-8080, even though I have a real one right here in front of me. And the cloud JP-8080 sounds practically indistinguishable from its hardware counterpart. And everything is great and supersaw-esome. So decision time - argh I really want to keep this JP-8080, but I really like the D-50 and want to have that one too. Fuck though, it would be really convenient to keep the JV-1080, and a few of the expansion boards. BUT EACH ONE IS $240!!! 3 - 4 more years of rent! But whatever, I'll deal with that later - I'll just pay for a second year of cloud for now. Money spent: $480, but the JP-8080 and the D-50 are mine to keep. Everything else goes away, unless I continue renting.

Now I'm at the point where it might be getting ridiculous. If I go with a year 3, that's $720 to get to keep 3 instruments. And then I start seriously having second thoughts and ultimately decide to stop renting. Now in my 2 years of projects, If I didn't bounce to audio the Roland plugins, I'd have to do it now. Every single project. Yeah, I was going to bounce them on a per project basis, but I got lazy, and it wasn't my usual workflow anyway. I never bounce any plugin to audio. So bouncing each project takes me hours. But I finish. And now I quit renting, I've spent $480, and the virtual JP-8080 and the D-50 are mine to use for the foreseeable future.

I don't know how I feel about that. Well at least talking it through has made me not want to subscribe after all - for now.

Back to the topic - I DEFINITELY 100% though, do not want to subscribe to rack extensions. I have all of the ones I want, and the ones that are left I could care less about, and if an RE does intrigue me, I'd straight up buy it because it would most likely be priced REASONably.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

splangie

16 Feb 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
14 Feb 2018
splangie wrote:
14 Feb 2018

Thanks again for all the info. I signed up and tried to download A-List Acoustic, Finger Picking, Pop Chords and Studio Drummer but kept getting a download fail error. I tried a few things but was not able to get the downsload to compele. I sent a note to support and they are suggesting that I first turn off the virus scan and make sure to add exception for the RackExtension folder if download completes after turning it off.

Also, when I installed Reason I used the CodeMeter option so I wouldn't have to worry about internet connectivity. Last night I removed it by simply uninstalling it, then rebooted and started Reason, signed in and all was ok, except the REs still failed to download. I installed CodeMeter again and no longer get prompted when I start Reaon. Could CodeMeter be causing any issues and are there any advantages, besides not needing internet connection, to using it?
I don't think CodeMeter can interfere with the downloads. Authorizer can though: while the download is happening, it's also updating your registration keys, which can take a while depending on the number of Rack Extensions you have. But I would venture that your downloading problems are probably time-related: I don't download anything anymore between 7pm and 11pm because the whole continent is watching TV and using Internet, and downloads slow down to an almost complete stop. If I were you, I would try downloading in the morning instead of the evening.
Turns out it was a connectivity issue on my end at the router. Once resolved all four REs, 3.5 GB, downloaded and installed in about 14 minutes. I am just getting started with them so I will let you know what I think.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2018

I hope the results in this thread makes the developers who are hesitant to continue making REs because of the subscription model to reconsider. Most people aren't interested in the subscription alternative anyway.

If I like/want a new RE I'm more than happy to spend some money on it to show some support to the developer. Please don't go away.

joeyluck

16 Feb 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Feb 2018
I hope the results in this thread makes the developers who are hesitant to continue making REs because of the subscription model to reconsider. Most people aren't interested in the subscription alternative anyway.

If I like/want a new RE I'm more than happy to spend some money on it to show some support to the developer. Please don't go away.
I used the subscription model to retry a few things I hadn't tried in a long time. And it lead to sales. So there's that. I did the $9 plan. I ended up buying things I otherwise would not have. Of course, there will be people making the point that that's why trial licenses should be reset. But then that might be seen as non-supportive to developers, because at least in this case, they get something for people retrying their REs.

ltbrunt00

22 Feb 2018

Well I am done with the subscription process, would rather have rent to own.

I was using the subscription mainly to use the legend until I got the funds to buy it. I brought the legend and will probably not use the subscription service again unless there is a killer RE that has a high initial price and not having the money to purchase it right away.

I enjoyed using the service but I am a rent to own kind of guy.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

22 Feb 2018

I was doing the Rent the own for Serum using the Splice service then the props came out with R10 and Europa. I was not a Serum power user and after using the R10 beta thought Europa is more than enough for those type of sounds for me.

I dropped Serum the minute I tested Europa for the first time. And if I get really hard pressed I will just buy Expanse.

The subscription service seems that it may become a great tool for collaboration that's if someone sends you a song file only contain RE's that is.

ejanuska

22 Feb 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 Feb 2018
I was doing the Rent the own for Serum using the Splice service then the props came out with R10 and Europa. I was not a Serum power user and after using the R10 beta thought Europa is more than enough for those type of sounds for me.

I dropped Serum the minute I tested Europa for the first time. And if I get really hard pressed I will just buy Expanse.

The subscription service seems that it may become a great tool for collaboration that's if someone sends you a song file only contain RE's that is.
Why not just trial the RE, bounce the track and forget about subscribing? Assuming you haven't trialed it before.

IMO only a few people want subscriptions to REs. Why I will never understand. REs are one of the last affordable things left on the planet besides good fried chicken and gasoline. If you have to resort to subs to make music in Reason you might want to consider ways to generate more income.

QVprod

22 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
14 Feb 2018
While vehemently opposed to music software subscriptions of any kind, there is ONE plan out there that has actually got me thinking about maybe possibly going for it, and only because it seems like this company is really dedicated to bringing out high quality new toys every update, and the toys that they do bring out are very appealing to me. That company is Roland. But then, here's how I imagine that will go:

SO I'll subscribe to their cloud and pay $19.99 a month. After a year and $240 later, I get one of their plugins to keep forever, but I lose access to everything else.
I assume you got Slate and Roland mixed up. I don't believe any of Roland's plugins, except for the plug out stuff with hardware) is available for straight up purchase. Slate has/had the keep a plugin after a year model. I'm not a subscription guy myself either but I think the idea is for people who don't only want to use 1 or 2 plugins. It'd be senseless in that regard unless you only intended to uses something for a month. If you say needed the 5080 with all the expansions for a particular project ten you can rent it for a month instead of spending considerably more on the actual hardware. Roland has some hardcore customers that will do that or even pay monthly just to have continued access. That said, Im on the opposite side of the spectrum. I have a (borrowed) JV2080 sitting in my room that I never touch because if don't think it's all that special by 2018 standards (I know someone will think I'm crazy for saying that. :lol: ). Same with Rack Extensions. There are those who want every RE. The people who instabuy just about everything that comes out. Subscriptions are wonderful for them.

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
22 Feb 2018
hurricane wrote:
14 Feb 2018

I assume you got Slate and Roland mixed up. I don't believe any of Roland's plugins, except for the plug out stuff with hardware) is available for straight up purchase.
Nope - my hypothetical situation involved me being a Roland subscriber for one year. Don't you get to keep a plugin after a year on the Roland subscription plan?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Dante

22 Feb 2018

If you pay the Roland Cloud for a Year upfront (Yearly Plan) - can you get the 'keep-it' version of the D50 straight away or you still have to wait 12 months ?

QVprod

22 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
22 Feb 2018
QVprod wrote:
22 Feb 2018

I assume you got Slate and Roland mixed up. I don't believe any of Roland's plugins, except for the plug out stuff with hardware) is available for straight up purchase.
Nope - my hypothetical situation involved me being a Roland subscriber for one year. Don't you get to keep a plugin after a year on the Roland subscription plan?
Not to my knowledge. It's definitely not mentioned on their site. I only know of Slate offering that.

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2018

This is all there is on the subject:

Coming Soon:
The Roland Cloud Subscriber Loyalty Rewards Program - Get a free software instrument with 12 months of Roland Cloud!
Roland Cloud would like to sincerely thank our loyal subscribers and those who participated in our Early Access Beta by introduction of the Roland Cloud Subscriber rewards program!

As an online service, Roland Cloud offers thousands of dollars of value for pennies on the dollar via our low monthly subscription. Unlike most online services, our subscription pays you interest in return for your loyalty.

Sounds Great, What’s the reward?
For every 12 months as an active subscriber to Roland Cloud, you will be able to pick one out of any of your favorite Software Instruments or Software Studio tools that are included with your basic subscription tier to become yours permanently, regardless of your subscription status, forever. It doesn’t matter that this instrument or studio tool would individually sell for more than the cost of your basic subscription over 12-month period. We want you to have it. Since we’re always adding new software instruments and studio tools, every 12 months you’ll always have a new and exciting batch of rewards to choose from.

I took a break in my subscription, am I still eligible?
12 months of subscription is the only requirement. Your Roland Cloud subscription time adds up, regardless of lapses in subscription status. It doesn’t matter if you subscribe for 12 months consecutively or one month per year for the next twelve years. You are still eligible to own an instrument or studio software tool. No catch. No strings attached.
Accrue another 12 months and get another software instrument from our collection for life. It’s simple.

Does my Early Access Beta Trial subscription time count towards my 12-month reward?
Of course it does! All subscription time counts. Whether your subscription was acquired via a Roland Cloud promotion, during Early Access Beta or with any coupon whatsoever for Roland Cloud, it still counts as time toward your reward. We recognize your loyalty and want to reward it with some loyalty of our own.

When does this go live?
Stay tuned for forthcoming announcements around this program going live on Roland Cloud. If you have already accrued 1 year of subscription time at the time this program goes live, you will be awarded an instrument retroactively.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

24 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
22 Feb 2018
This is all there is on the subject:

Coming Soon:
The Roland Cloud Subscriber Loyalty Rewards Program - Get a free software instrument with 12 months of Roland Cloud!
Roland Cloud would like to sincerely thank our loyal subscribers and those who participated in our Early Access Beta by introduction of the Roland Cloud Subscriber rewards program!
Got it, the 'coming soon' aspect is probably why it's not easily findable on the website.

ltbrunt00

07 Mar 2018

ejanuska wrote:
22 Feb 2018
ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 Feb 2018

Why not just trial the RE, bounce the track and forget about subscribing? Assuming you haven't trialed it before.

IMO only a few people want subscriptions to REs. Why I will never understand. REs are one of the last affordable things left on the planet besides good fried chicken and gasoline. If you have to resort to subs to make music in Reason you might want to consider ways to generate more income.
The problem with trialing RE's is that self gratification thing we humans tend to do. You sometimes see that new shiny toy and you have to try it. You trial it but depending on what your working on you don't need it at that time, then a month goes by and now you can't trial it again. Or you trial it and the tool becomes essential part of your work flow but you don't have the money to buy it. I would rather have rent to own during those times so the subscription money doesn't go to waste.

• Information