Respire or Spire?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Challeee

06 Feb 2018

Hey!
I'm planning to get Spire or Respire?
Spire is a VST and Respire is a RE. Can't seem to find a difference. What would you guys get?

madmacman

06 Feb 2018

Tough question. I got my RE copy (ReSpire) for the introductory price of 59 Euros. For this price tag, it's more than capable and I'm happy to have it in my setup. But:

1. The RE is still not "optimized" and can bring even capable machines down to their knees quite fast - even with a single instance and a single patch
2. The GUI doesn't make use of the new RE SDK, so some user interface elements are ... well, debatable. Same is true for the cramped additional features such as arpeggiator and steppers - no fun to use!
3. No bonus features for RE such as CV control

I would propose: wait for the next sale and pick a VST copy for ~120 bucks. In the meantime you can get the trial versions of both and compare the UI for yourself.

EdGrip

06 Feb 2018

I think, even allowing for some future GUI tweaks and optimization of the RE, you're better off with the VSTi.

Basically it's Spire as it was originally intended without GUI compromises to fit the Rack. There's no added CV benefits in the RE version.

Loque

06 Feb 2018

At this stage there is not much advantage to use the RE, except you have it directly in the rack and can access the controls and create automation with alt+click.

Did not tried the VST and compared the performance, but the RE version gets under heavy load if used a few oscilators+unison+long release and a few fx. But i have similar performance bottlenecks with eXpanse and other synths too. Best thing is, try it yourself.

I hope the future versions of the RE provides some audio in, CV control and SDK 2.5 support.
Reason12, Win10

Psuper

06 Feb 2018

I still use Midiloopback a ton when working in Reason, the performance hit for heavy hitters isn't worth wrapping inside of Reason regardless that I have a killer new system. VST for me, but also because I'm not dropping many dimes into the RE department due to not being satisfied with what Propellerhead has been doing with Reason, and I question its future and Props ability to make the core updates I care about.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

theshoemaker

06 Feb 2018

Challeee wrote:
06 Feb 2018
Hey!
Spire is a VST and Respire is a RE. Can't seem to find a difference. What would you guys get?
save yourself your money and get R10. I find Europa and Grain far more pleasing than ReSpire.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Challeee

06 Feb 2018

Thank you for nice input. I'm going to try the demos out and see for myself.

Oquasec

08 Feb 2018

Respire...I actually think thor trumps that in many many areas tbh.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

madmacman

08 Feb 2018

Oquasec wrote:
08 Feb 2018
If you want Uplifting Trance ASOT or FSOE style out-of-the-box, then Spire is one of the best choices for sure!

theshoemaker

08 Feb 2018

madmacman wrote:
08 Feb 2018
Oquasec wrote:
08 Feb 2018
If you want Uplifting Trance ASOT or FSOE style out-of-the-box, then Spire is one of the best choices for sure!
Use the scales player and set your chords properly. Most of the patches leverage the different OSCs set play chords.

I agree it is a different kind of creating, as you have finegrain control for Note per OSC. Still I find myself rarly on needing this. You will be astonished what you still can get out of Subtractor or Malström. Again I vote for the low CPU Propheads devices. With Thor, Parsec, PX7, Europa the same ...

I'm not against ReSpire. It has great OSCs and Filters. Still I find myself rarely using it. Too CPU hungry and clumsy to edit. Just compare it to Europa or Parsec, or or or. still waiting for improvements
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Oquasec

08 Feb 2018

I have omnisphere and Reason, so I do not see the point in using spire or serum.
I can do that loud stuff in subtractor.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

madmacman

08 Feb 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
08 Feb 2018
madmacman wrote:
08 Feb 2018
I agree it is a different kind of creating, as you have finegrain control for Note per OSC. Still I find myself rarly on needing this. You will be astonished what you still can get out of Subtractor or Malström.
I should have put more focus on the "out-of-the-box" part of my statement. Unlike all the other stuff I have, I use the ReSpire mostly as preset player and have bought tons of preset packs from reveal.

So, yes: there are many possibilities to put cool stuff together. But sometimes you simply want to have quick results. ;)

EnochLight

08 Feb 2018

Challeee wrote:
06 Feb 2018
Hey!
I own both ReSpire as well as Spire VST. I'd have to say that Spire VST is a far better choice, at the moment. For starters, the GUI/UX is a lot nicer, and it scales perfectly for high res screens/large monitors. You can't go "full screen" with the Rack Extension. There's also no CV advtanges with the RE at the moment, and while Reveal Sound has been promising GUI/UX improvements and CV, they usually take years - YEARS - to develop. I wouldn't hold my breath for the RE bring any new features to the rack anytime soon. The compromises they made for the effects, etc , just to accommodate the SDK limitations at the time make the VST a far better choice, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

riemac

08 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
08 Feb 2018
Challeee wrote:
06 Feb 2018
Hey!
I own both ReSpire as well as Spire VST. I'd have to say that Spire VST is a far better choice, at the moment. For starters, the GUI/UX is a lot nicer, and it scales perfectly for high res screens/large monitors. You can't go "full screen" with the Rack Extension. There's also no CV advtanges with the RE at the moment, and while Reveal Sound has been promising GUI/UX improvements and CV, they usually take years - YEARS - to develop. I wouldn't hold my breath for the RE bring any new features to the rack anytime soon. The compromises they made for the effects, etc , just to accommodate the SDK limitations at the time make the VST a far better choice, IMHO.
I own both as well and I prefer the VST as well. The VST handels CPU much better than the RE, which is very importand for me.

miscend

08 Feb 2018

I'm sure it's the same for all synths with both RE and VST versions? Predator, Viking-1 and The Legend are all probably better as VSTs. Which says a lot for the future of the RE format.

EnochLight

08 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
08 Feb 2018
I'm sure it's the same for all synths with both RE and VST versions? Predator, Viking-1 and The Legend are all probably better as VSTs. Which says a lot for the future of the RE format.
Naaaaaa... Predator, VK-1, and Legend are far better as RE's, as they have plenty of CV on the back and work as intended. ReSpire doesn't, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information