AIRE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Softphonics

30 Jan 2018

AIRE Strings http://www.softphonics.com/aire-strings

AIRE Woodwinds http://www.softphonics.com/aire-woodwinds

For those of you interested in Rack Extensions, not VST's!
For those of you interested in better price points
For those of you interested in stability etc..
Please check them out.
Last edited by Softphonics on 01 Feb 2018, edited 3 times in total.

Loque

30 Jan 2018

I guess it is an IDT. I like the wood design.

Sound examples available? Are they from a refill? What exactly means "imminent"? Questions...
Reason12, Win10

Psuper

30 Jan 2018

Samples or Modeled?

Wheres the product pages?
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

QVprod

30 Jan 2018

Longtime coming. Great to see you close to release with these.

esselfortium

30 Jan 2018

The interfaces look very cryptic.

Will these have true legato?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Adabler
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2018

That DSP/CPU knob is interesting. I wonder if it works similarly as the strange polyphony knob on the back of Luna.
:reason: 12, Win10

normen

31 Jan 2018

Cool - as Pink Floyd used to sing: "We don't need no - compressor lab-ling" xD

Pralijah

31 Jan 2018

Nice! Look forward to try these. Have all the refills so might not buy, but maybe will start the subscription soon enough. And might buy at a sale later on as they do seem very handy. When are they to be released?
Make music shake again!

Softphonics

31 Jan 2018

Pralijah wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Nice! Look forward to try these. Have all the refills so might not buy, but maybe will start the subscription soon enough. And might buy at a sale later on as they do seem very handy. When are they to be released?

Hi, Thank you, The AIRE Rack extensions have more than the refills and more obviously the have loads of tweakable parameters and effects. We did not just simply turn the older refills into RE's there is new sound in there too!

normen wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Cool - as Pink Floyd used to sing: "We don't need no - compressor lab-ling" xD
Compressor Labels were added to the Release version :) :) :) They didn't make it into the advert

Adabler wrote:
30 Jan 2018
That DSP/CPU knob is interesting. I wonder if it works similarly as the strange polyphony knob on the back of Luna.
Don't think they are the same thing, Turning this knob on the interface will do a few things from.. ever so slightly adjusting the sample quality. optimizing the instrument to suit your system. Also how many samples it has loaded at once and ready for action. That is the bones of it.. But there is more features like automatic sample purging to keep everything running smooth

QVprod wrote:
30 Jan 2018
Longtime coming. Great to see you close to release with these.

Thanks man

Psuper wrote:
30 Jan 2018
Samples or Modeled?

Wheres the product pages?

Samples, Thousands of them, And the product pages will appear in the next few days.

Loque wrote:
30 Jan 2018
I guess it is an IDT. I like the wood design.

Sound examples available? Are they from a refill? What exactly means "imminent"? Questions...
IDT yes, but different to what has come before, Imminent meaning 'any day now' More than refills, better sounding, loads of parameters. Next Generation
There is people working on the sound examples as I speak, hold tight
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

Psuper

31 Jan 2018

I'm not a samples guy unfortunately, all about the modeled or self-produced stuff. Still I'll have a listen!

Softphonics

31 Jan 2018

Psuper wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I'm not a samples guy unfortunately, all about the modeled or self-produced stuff. Still I'll have a listen!
I presume you mean 'Modeled' when it comes to synths or other electronic instruments,

But 'Modeled' on Acoustic instruments would be a back step? Unless you like synth clarinets or French Horns as opposed to real ones! which is not what these instruments are for
------

jayhosking

31 Jan 2018

I see strings and woodwinds in those REs. Will there be a brass RE as well?

And as asked by esselfortium, is there true legato? The Encore refill had some nice legato options, if I'm remembering correctly.

Softphonics

31 Jan 2018

jayhosking wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I see strings and woodwinds in those REs. Will there be a brass RE as well?

And as asked by esselfortium, is there true legato? The Encore refill had some nice legato options, if I'm remembering correctly.
Hi, Yes absolutely there is Brass and several others too. They just wont all be released together ;)

Regarding legato, Yes in Encore we had to work within the ability of the combinator and find a way, but this is much different. Legato is there when notes overlap, no extra parameter automation needed.
------

Psuper

31 Jan 2018

Softphonics wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Psuper wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I presume you mean 'Modeled' when it comes to synths or other electronic instruments,

But 'Modeled' on Acoustic instruments would be a back step? Unless you like synth clarinets or French Horns as opposed to real ones! which is not what these instruments are for
I mean Modeled when it comes to any instruments, I haven't purchased any sample-based instruments in years. I just keep on the lookout for new companies wading into the fray, like Applies Acoustics, Moddart, etc who take it a major step forward. Wallander actually have great instruments but they kinda missed the boat with poor marketing. I have no intention of going back to samples.

More power to you though, there's still a majority who aren't like me.

PurpleMonkeyDishes

31 Jan 2018

Psuper wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Softphonics wrote:
31 Jan 2018

I mean Modeled when it comes to any instruments, I haven't purchased any sample-based instruments in years. I just keep on the lookout for new companies wading into the fray, like Applies Acoustics, Moddart, etc who take it a major step forward. Wallander actually have great instruments but they kinda missed the boat with poor marketing. I have no intention of going back to samples.

Psuper, you are not making much sense there, Modeled is great for certain instruments, but not acoustic orchestral... Think you need to go do some homework dude, or calm down on the shmokin

Great to see you entering the RE market Softphonics! ...... You just keep doing what you do best....
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Psuper

31 Jan 2018

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Psuper wrote:
31 Jan 2018

Psuper, you are not making much sense there, Modeled is great for certain instruments, but not acoustic orchestral... Think you need to go do some homework dude, or calm down on the shmokin

Great to see you entering the RE market Softphonics! ...... You just keep doing what you do best....
The convincing part of most instruments, modeled or sampled, is how its played. I did schmoke the shit outta the dank back in my day, but I can't be the only one these days who knows about Wallander and AA. And these are just the beginning, we'll be seeing more and more as the tech continues to shift from sample libraries to modeled instruments.

As I said, I'm in a minority and he'll do fine. Heck there's still even the possibility his instruments might make me buy them, never know! However I'm always a minority before eventually becoming a part of the majority without changing my opinion. :)

Kenni
Site Admin

31 Jan 2018

There's no doubt that there's a market in modeled instruments, acoustic orchestral as well. And as Psuper said, it's all down to how theyre played and automated, like with all orchestral elements, sampled or not.

The SWAM products, both strings and woodwinds blew me away. I've not heard as convincing solo strings and flutes before, and they are the first thing I'll purchase when the budget allows for that, followed by a Seaboard Rise.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

househoppin09

31 Jan 2018

SWAM is partly sample-based though, right? I certainly haven't heard any 100% modeled (i.e., zero use of samples) acoustic instruments that sounded remotely convincing to me, whereas SWAM and some others that do use samples can absolutely get to a level of realism that will fool most listeners when properly played/programmed.

A "no sampled instruments" policy may be fine for some people, but obviously wouldn't be workable for anyone who needs to do serious orchestral mockups, etc.

Kenni
Site Admin

31 Jan 2018

househoppin09 wrote:
31 Jan 2018
SWAM is partly sample-based though, right? I certainly haven't heard any 100% modeled (i.e., zero use of samples) acoustic instruments that sounded remotely convincing to me, whereas SWAM and some others that do use samples can absolutely get to a level of realism that will fool most listeners when properly played/programmed.

A "no sampled instruments" policy may be fine for some people, but obviously wouldn't be workable for anyone who needs to do serious orchestral mockups, etc.
For the woodwinds, SWAM is partly sample based. The physics surrounding the pipe (breath control etc) is modeled though.

SWAM-S (strings) is purely modeled. No samples whatsoever.

Edit: For ensembles, I agree with you. But if I were to do a serious piece, mockup or not, I would never use a purely sample based device for solo strings. There's simply too many limits when it comes to expression, vibrato and so on. Even with extensive programming/automation, it's quite difficult to avoid artifacts.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

esselfortium

31 Jan 2018

I've had fantastic results using Embertone's solo strings (for Kontakt) for expressive leads. They sound great and are very versatile! I've used them in paid work on several projects now, and clients have all been very pleased with the results. I've used them for emotive melody parts, layering with strings sections, bluegrass fiddle parts, etc., and they've easily been up to the task in all cases, sounding realistic and expressive even on challenging parts.

The video demos I've seen of SWAM's instruments are impressive for sure, but they also look like they require a lot more detailed automation to sound convincing, whereas Embertone's sound good even just with basic playing, and sound amazing with just relatively simple automation. Good sampling still has a lot to offer!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

househoppin09

31 Jan 2018

esselfortium wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I've had fantastic results using Embertone's solo strings (for Kontakt) for expressive leads. They sound great and are very versatile! I've used them in paid work on several projects now, and clients have all been very pleased with the results. I've used them for emotive melody parts, layering with strings sections, bluegrass fiddle parts, etc., and they've easily been up to the task in all cases, sounding realistic and expressive even on challenging parts.

The video demos I've seen of SWAM's instruments are impressive for sure, but they also look like they require a lot more detailed automation to sound convincing, whereas Embertone's sound good even just with basic playing, and sound amazing with just relatively simple automation. Good sampling still has a lot to offer!
Agreed with this, and I'd also say that anyone looking for good sampled solo strings owes it to themselves to check out Virharmonic's "Bohemian" series. Simply stunning levels of playability.

PurpleMonkeyDishes

01 Feb 2018

This thread has been hijacked by vst fans.... That is why this place is gone so down hill.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Bumbum

01 Feb 2018

01 Feb 2018
This thread has been hijacked by vst fans.... That is why this place is gone so down hill.
this is so sad,so many topics have this disease, ring mod topic for example..

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Feb 2018

01 Feb 2018
I don't think it's about VST fans. Sure, some people will swear to RE's only, some will swear to VST's only, but in the end it's about choosing the right tool for the job. Some RE's will cater your needs better than VST's and visa versa.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information