Exploring Nostromo 2 Patch Randomization

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
modecca

28 Jan 2018

GNOST3.jpg
GNOST3.jpg (134 KiB) Viewed 5753 times

Schematic2.JPG
Schematic2.JPG (109.38 KiB) Viewed 5875 times

🚨Download:🚨
https://we.tl/3sx0ppo3b3
🔗💥

Catblack

28 Jan 2018

I've tried a lot of drugs and I've heard a lot of patches, but rarely does the latter feel like the former the way this does.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

rcbuse
RE Developer

28 Jan 2018

As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed this video. I think I need to put the randomizer and tools on the folded panel.

theshoemaker

29 Jan 2018

rcbuse wrote:
28 Jan 2018
As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed this video. I think I need to put the randomizer and tools on the folded panel.
Please let the randomizer button where it is. The button I use most :)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

eusti

29 Jan 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
29 Jan 2018
rcbuse wrote:
28 Jan 2018
I think what rcbuse meant is: Have the button additionally show when the device is folded.

D.

Bumbum

29 Jan 2018

this was actually really good video, very good points :) style is different from mainstream vlogs but content was spot on
especially the point that dice creates almost like new songs instead of sounds,amount of lfos and envelopes makes this possible

theshoemaker

29 Jan 2018

eusti wrote:
29 Jan 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
29 Jan 2018

I think what rcbuse meant is: Have the button additionally show when the device is folded.

D.
Ah .. this way, now I understand. Thanks for clearing this up.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

olive6741

29 Jan 2018

Absolutely great! -> so now I need to read the Nostromo manual. Sure I don't understand clearly what's happening, hahaha. But I dissassembled the combinator, and fair enough, I MUST READ Nostromo manual. (In fact I suffered from GAS recently, so I have tons to explore now, without losing any green anymore).

By the way I have no clue about this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7505133&p=373625#p373625
Can we expect an answer one day ?

:P

modecca

30 Jan 2018

Catblack wrote:
28 Jan 2018
I've tried a lot of drugs and I've heard a lot of patches, but rarely does the latter feel like the former the way this does.
I feel exactly the same. I strongly believe this is something I am going to be using a lot going forward.
I hope one day it will be possible (it isn't not currently) to hook an lfo to the randomizer button, to enable GNOST to make songs that continually change forever.
Actually now that I think about it, if the lfos that control the gate and pitch for the 4 Nostromo's that produce audio, have a slow square shaped random lfo changing them (lfo type and speed) you would get the infinite effect.
rcbuse wrote:
28 Jan 2018
That is an excellant idea and I hope to see that implimented on the next Nostromo update!
Bumbum wrote:
29 Jan 2018
this was actually really good video, very good points :) style is different from mainstream vlogs but content was spot on
especially the point that dice creates almost like new songs instead of sounds,amount of lfos and envelopes makes this possible

Thanks man.
Stuff like this doesnt happen from companies who are catering to pop culture; Rather these things come from those mad scientists who are deeply obsessed with inventing the 'ultimate' sound design tools and who could care less about financial gain.

olive6741 wrote:
29 Jan 2018
Absolutely great! -> so now I need to read the Nostromo manual. Sure I don't understand clearly what's happening, hahaha. But I dissassembled the combinator, and fair enough, I MUST READ Nostromo manual. (In fact I suffered from GAS recently, so I have tons to explore now, without losing any green anymore).

I am glad to see someone treating this as a learning tool, rather than just a collection of patches to use.
🔗💥

rcbuse
RE Developer

30 Jan 2018

Often when I'm doing the procedural generation of patches, I like to think of these things as places in space. Each parameter is a dimension. So if you are randomizing patches for a single Nostromo you have something like a 600 dimension space. Roll the dice - ZAP - warped to a new place in space, what does this place sound like? ZAP, another place.

Gnost is like a dimension expander, You hit that random button, you are hearing something no one has ever heard, and if you don't record it, no one will ever hear it again.

Catblack

30 Jan 2018

modecca wrote:
30 Jan 2018
Catblack wrote:
28 Jan 2018
I feel exactly the same. I strongly believe this is something I am going to be using a lot going forward.
I hope one day it will be possible (it isn't not currently) to hook an lfo to the randomizer button, to enable GNOST to make songs that continually change forever.
Actually now that I think about it, if the lfos that control the gate and pitch for the 4 Nostromo's that produce audio, have a slow square shaped random lfo changing them (lfo type and speed) you would get the infinite effect.
It's not my surprise to spoil, but check out Carly's youtube channel, you'll find that "songs that continually change forever" is possible.

Damn.

modecca

30 Jan 2018

Catblack wrote:
30 Jan 2018

It's not my surprise to spoil, but check out Carly's youtube channel, you'll find that "songs that continually change forever" is possible.

I just meant that automating the dice knob is beyond the capability of the current sdk.
The forever song is certainly not a new concept and is doable in reason:
GNOST Eternal.zip
(144.12 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Thanks for the heads up on Carly though, he has approached randomization in a very interesting way:
🔗💥

moneykube

31 Jan 2018

thanks for these amazing patches
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Catblack

06 Feb 2018

Thanks Modecca for turning me on to those wonderful Nostromo LFOs. And also to using Quadralectra's CV Processor. I've had some great fun with your Gnost Enternal patch. I'm sort of trying to develop some sort of musical generators, like a modular approach, and using CV Processor into a Janitor into a CV Tuner is real gold. But those Nostromo LFOs really are the shine. I want to print them all out as a poster!

Anyhow, this is something I threw together today using a Distributor and 8 Klangs (for panning and also so they'd ring better,) and one of those funky Nostromo lfos subtly wagging the pitch bend.

Damn.

modecca

06 Feb 2018

Catblack wrote:
06 Feb 2018
Thanks Modecca for turning me on to those wonderful Nostromo LFOs. And also to using Quadralectra's CV Processor. I've had some great fun with your Gnost Enternal patch. I'm sort of trying to develop some sort of musical generators, like a modular approach, and using CV Processor into a Janitor into a CV Tuner is real gold. But those Nostromo LFOs really are the shine. I want to print them all out as a poster!

Anyhow, this is something I threw together today using a Distributor and 8 Klangs (for panning and also so they'd ring better,) and one of those funky Nostromo lfos subtly wagging the pitch bend.

No problem, that vast quantity of shapes inspire me.
I still need to download Janitor and am just barely realizing how useful Frame cv generator is.
That Music Box sounds wonderful, where is the combi for that ?!?

The ideas surrounding patch randomization have really dominated how I have been spending my time with Reason for about a week now.
I have been wanting to be able to randomize multiple patches without having to open the combinator and came up with this:

One thing that I like about this particular patch, is that I am randomizing the wavetable slots on 4 different Nostromo's simultaneously, using just one combinator button and/ or combi knob if you wanted to automate the master dice button.
🔗💥

Catblack

06 Feb 2018

modecca wrote:
06 Feb 2018
Catblack wrote:
06 Feb 2018

No problem, that vast quantity of shapes inspire me.
I still need to download Janitor and am just barely realizing how useful Frame cv generator is.
That Music Box sounds wonderful, where is the combi for that ?!?

The ideas surrounding patch randomization have really dominated how I have been spending my time with Reason for about a week now.
I have been wanting to be able to randomize multiple patches without having to open the combinator and came up with this:

One thing that I like about this particular patch, is that I am randomizing the wavetable slots on 4 different Nostromo's simultaneously, using just one combinator button and/ or combi knob if you wanted to automate the master dice button.
Here's the combi. I used Ivy and a Distributor, you can re route the 2 Klangs that use Ivy if you don't have it. I only used Klang because it was easy and I wanted a bell sound, but then didn't know what the polyphony was on the Klang and it didn't sound like it was very much, so I threw in 8 of them. Not sure if I really like the sound of the Klang at all.

I also found that DIstributor labels it's transposition really weird. I mean, "Octave 4"? Really Blamsoft? Why not call that "Transpose 0"? Anyhow, it's all about learning the tools you have. Hope you can follow the experiment. Not too much randomization with this one, will look into using Nostromo's waveforms for the next one.
Attachments
Auto Music Box 7.zip
(61.7 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Damn.

Mataya

19 Sep 2021

A lot of new comers doesn't know that this exists, so let me introduce it to them. Especially now when you can buy Nostromo very cheap and also trough the reward store.
Enjoy.

M

modecca

19 Sep 2021

Mataya wrote:
19 Sep 2021
A lot of new comers doesn't know that this exists, so let me introduce it to them. Especially now when you can buy Nostromo very cheap and also trough the reward store.
Enjoy.

M
There are 2 versions of this contraption.
One that is generative and jumps from one snap shot to another on it's own randomly and this one, where your press a button and it jumps to another 4 track snap shot manually.
A problem with the button press randomization, is the method of randomization cannot be stored, so it would only be useful to sample before closing Reason.
So I made another version a few months ago (see attached)
GNOST Transmogrificator 9-19-21.zip
(145.05 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
that uses the brilliant Morph Re. With this device I can randomize (cntrl+ left click) and store snapshot (shift + left mouse click). Also using the Morph Re, you can tweak the sound with the 8 knobs. Would be nice to randomize from the combinator directly using this method, but it's not possible.

gnostbirthday.jpg
gnostbirthday.jpg (276.54 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
🔗💥

Mataya

20 Sep 2021

Wowchek! Greatful for both. Can't wait to check this one out.

M

moofi

20 Sep 2021

How about connecting a Little LFO with a squarewave to the Combinator´s CV-input and connect it via the programmer to the randomiser button?
Additionally you can FM/AM/PM Little LFO´s Squarewave with the second/third/forth LFO for alternating on/off patterns.
At least I assume Little LFO is very much useful here because of it´s potentially very slow LFO cycles. I think the longest possible cycle lasts like 218 years.

Smoove video btw :-D

modecca wrote:
30 Jan 2018

[...]
[...]

modecca

20 Sep 2021

moofi wrote:
20 Sep 2021
How about connecting a Little LFO with a squarewave to the Combinator´s CV-input and connect it via the programmer to the randomiser button?
Additionally you can FM/AM/PM Little LFO´s Squarewave with the second/third/forth LFO for alternating on/off patterns.
At least I assume Little LFO is very much useful here because of it´s potentially very slow LFO cycles. I think the longest possible cycle lasts like 218 years.

Smoove video btw :-D

modecca wrote:
30 Jan 2018

[...]
[...]
This thread is pretty old, I have since been quite content in regards to little lfo's ability to create a generative patches:
GNOST Generative.zip
(145.23 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Also I wanted to see what Nostromo could do by itself not using any other devices (except combinator). Nostromo has 6 Lfo's (in addition to the 3 wave sweeps, that are Lfo's "dedicated" to the wave tables).
So I used 5 of those Lfo's (wave # 4= random square) to do all the randomizing work, rather than Little Lfo. This one is more noisy than other versions as no cv is being tuned, but it is the most pure version as it is just Nostromo playing with itself.
Gnost_Dark Purity.zip
(220.37 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
🔗💥

moofi

22 Sep 2021

modecca wrote:
20 Sep 2021
[...]

Also I wanted to see what Nostromo could do by itself not using any other devices (except combinator). [...]
Eeeeeh.... :-D
Attachments
No Little LFO.jpg
No Little LFO.jpg (213.24 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

• Information