Selig ColoringEQ In The Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2018

JdA57 wrote:Sorry, but another more question:

It's funny: most EQ's (as example: Rob P. too) telling 440 Hz = A4 (example: USA 440 Hz = named A4 too / Germany A') but you ("COLORING EQ") showing 440Hz = A3?
Is there a reason why, or maybe will there be a parameter to change our own about this?

thx. reg.
In Reason, A=440 Hz is A3, as C3 is middle C. In other DAWs this can be C4, but as this is a Reason Only device, it made sense to stick to that standard.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Wickline
Posts: 534
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Location: Japan

Post 27 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
JdA57 wrote:ok, thx.

And So I now knowing how solo is working. But

Solo: please can you check this. Maybe I'm stupid, but if I'm using only maybe EQ 1 and 4, and I'm Solo 4. What I've to hear? Audio before or the after EQ (of this EQ-part)?. I think the after EQ, but it seems, that I don't hear this while soloing.

I knowing you are the specialsist, so maybe I'm going wrong here, but ...
When you solo an EQ band, you will only hear what the EQ is adding or taking away from the sound - that’s why if you solo a band that has no boost or cut, you will hear silence.

The benefit to this approach is you can cut an EQ band, then solo it and only hear what you will be that band will be cutting. Sweep the band to find the “muck” you want to cut out, then when you un-solo the band you will now be cutting what you were just listening to!


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
That’s a cool trick I didn’t think with his. Very useful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
fceramic
Posts: 41
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

This sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait for Spectre. Mid/side, tons of saturation algorithms, beautiful responsive interface, vst-format and 69€ intro price.


Is saturation EQs a new trend?

Update: If ColoringEQ was 30€ I would buy it, but I think 99€ is too much for something that has a sluggish GUI and can't be resold.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2453
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2018
JdA57 wrote:Sorry, but another more question:

It's funny: most EQ's (as example: Rob P. too) telling 440 Hz = A4 (example: USA 440 Hz = named A4 too / Germany A') but you ("COLORING EQ") showing 440Hz = A3?
Is there a reason why, or maybe will there be a parameter to change our own about this?

thx. reg.
In Reason, A=440 Hz is A3, as C3 is middle C. In other DAWs this can be C4, but as this is a Reason Only device, it made sense to stick to that standard.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Yes, don't understand it. In Ableton Live A440 = A3 as well.

JdA57
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 28 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2018
JdA57 wrote:ok, thx.

And So I now knowing how solo is working. But

Solo: please can you check this. Maybe I'm stupid, but if I'm using only maybe EQ 1 and 4, and I'm Solo 4. What I've to hear? Audio before or the after EQ (of this EQ-part)?. I think the after EQ, but it seems, that I don't hear this while soloing.

I knowing you are the specialsist, so maybe I'm going wrong here, but ...
--> :reason: a) When you solo an EQ band, you will only hear what the EQ is adding or taking away from the sound - that’s why if you solo a band that has no boost or cut, you will hear silence.

The benefit to this approach is you can cut an EQ band, then solo it and only hear what you will be that band will be cutting. Sweep the band to find the “muck” you want to cut out, then when you un-solo the band you will now be cutting what you were just listening to!


--> :reason: b) In Reason, A=440 Hz is A3, as C3 is middle C. In other DAWs this can be C4, but as this is a Reason Only device, it made sense to stick to that standard.
:puf_smile: Ok, thank you very much. For shure I'll buy this (because really is the best EQ + ++ .... we can buy for reason actually :thumbs_up: ) BUT ( :D )

Maybe can you implement, that

:reason: a) we can change (if we need - and sorry, please don't let me explain, but really there are some situations it will be helpfull here) ourselve between A3 and A4 = 440 Hz and
:reason: b) between 2 kind of Solomode. "Only what changed" and second = "all in that range incl. what changed" (in some situations helpfull too) :D :D a third mode can be: "all in that range incl. what changed + sat in that range" (but I think this will be too much and you'll find many reasons why this is'nt really usefull :D :D :D ) . Buttons as example on backside.

Will be fine.

Thx for that fantastic RE. Best and innovative idea since years :thumbs_up:

JdA57
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 28 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
28 Jan 2018

Yes, don't understand it. In Ableton Live A440 = A3 as well.
:D (joke:) We can do a list which DAW / EQ is using which definition. :D

Some other DAWs, some other EQ's (incl. for Reason) and in USA music-score-note definitions 440Hz = A4. And in some you could change it your own.

Selig did it right / fine (because Reason 440Hz = A3) and for shure I can understand.

So it is a question and only a feature-request. (And not really important, only in some cases 'here' helpfull)

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5625
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 28 Jan 2018

fceramic wrote:
28 Jan 2018
This sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait for Spectre. Mid/side, tons of saturation algorithms, beautiful responsive interface, vst-format and 69€ intro price.


Is saturation EQs a new trend?

Update: If ColoringEQ was 30€ I would buy it, but I think 99€ is too much for something that has a sluggish GUI and can't be resold.
Spectre looks cool, but Selig's ColoringEQ has different features (Note Control via CV or MIDI, modular-like back panel, 10 EQ types and 5 filter types, etc). Spectre does look cool, though. It's hard to beat that modern GUI/UX.
Windows 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2453
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

fceramic wrote:
28 Jan 2018
This sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait for Spectre. Mid/side, tons of saturation algorithms, beautiful responsive interface, vst-format and 69€ intro price.


Is saturation EQs a new trend?

Update: If ColoringEQ was 30€ I would buy it, but I think 99€ is too much for something that has a sluggish GUI and can't be resold.
Weird trailer. Is it a movie?

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5625
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 28 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
28 Jan 2018
fceramic wrote:
28 Jan 2018
This sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait for Spectre. Mid/side, tons of saturation algorithms, beautiful responsive interface, vst-format and 69€ intro price.


Is saturation EQs a new trend?

Update: If ColoringEQ was 30€ I would buy it, but I think 99€ is too much for something that has a sluggish GUI and can't be resold.
Weird trailer. Is it a movie?
Well, to be fair - Selig's trailer has a theatrical "movie" build-up (and a VO that sounds like he's had a few blunts before the VO recording). :lol: :mrgreen: jk @Selig - love your trailer!
Windows 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
Wickline
Posts: 534
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Location: Japan

Post 28 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
28 Jan 2018
Weird trailer. Is it a movie?
Well, to be fair - Selig's trailer has a theatrical "movie" build-up (and a VO that sounds like he's had a few blunts before the VO recording). :lol: :mrgreen: jk @Selig - love your trailer!
I was sober for this I promise! Had more than a few people tell me my sober voice sounds high lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
Gorgon
Posts: 1233
Joined: 11 Mar 2016

Post 28 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2018
Spectre looks cool, but Selig's ColoringEQ has different features (Note Control via CV or MIDI, modular-like back panel, 10 EQ types and 5 filter types, etc). Spectre does look cool, though. It's hard to beat that modern GUI/UX.
Still, $99 is too much for such a device. Especially considering that you:

- can't sell your license
- can only use it in Reason

I'm thinking that you can do a lot of what you can do with ColoringEQ with the basic Reason devices if you just take the time to set it up.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

fceramic wrote:This sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait for Spectre. Mid/side, tons of saturation algorithms, beautiful responsive interface, vst-format and 69€ intro price.


Is saturation EQs a new trend?

Update: If ColoringEQ was 30€ I would buy it, but I think 99€ is too much for something that has a sluggish GUI and can't be resold.
ColoringEQ can definitely do Mid/Side, can boost and cut (Spectra says it’s only a boosting EQ?). With the Odd/Even harmonics and spectral coloring of the EQ interface, you can get many useful saturation types.

There are other REs that do far less costing as much (or more) as mine - I tried to price it according to the market and what I need to stay alive as a software company.

Wish I could afford to make such cool videos for my products, maybe that would help sell them? ;)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

Gorgon wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2018
Spectre looks cool, but Selig's ColoringEQ has different features (Note Control via CV or MIDI, modular-like back panel, 10 EQ types and 5 filter types, etc). Spectre does look cool, though. It's hard to beat that modern GUI/UX.
Still, $99 is too much for such a device. Especially considering that you:

- can't sell your license
- can only use it in Reason

I'm thinking that you can do a lot of what you can do with ColoringEQ with the basic Reason devices if you just take the time to set it up.
You can indeed - I testing the original concept years ago in Reason with a Combinator that gave me a single band of high or low EQ (two versions). It took a few Selig Gains in the mix, so it’s not free, and it eats CPU for breakfast. If you wanted more than one band of EQ, things would get totally out of control.

But if you knew what you were doing, and had a killer CPU, it could certainly be done. I’d love to see it too - I could never get it to work beyond one band in Reason, and the CPU hit was silly even at that point once you started using a few of these guys… ;)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Wickline
Posts: 534
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Location: Japan

Post 28 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
fceramic wrote:This sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait for Spectre. Mid/side, tons of saturation algorithms, beautiful responsive interface, vst-format and 69€ intro price.


Is saturation EQs a new trend?

Update: If ColoringEQ was 30€ I would buy it, but I think 99€ is too much for something that has a sluggish GUI and can't be resold.
ColoringEQ can definitely do Mid/Side, can boost and cut (Spectra says it’s only a boosting EQ?). With the Odd/Even harmonics and spectral coloring of the EQ interface, you can get many useful saturation types.

There are other REs that do far less costing as much (or more) as mine - I tried to price it according to the market and what I need to stay alive as a software company.

Wish I could afford to make such cool videos for my products, maybe that would help sell them? ;)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Honestly I’d say it’s worth it. Yes it is pricey but I’d put this on par with any of the waves/slate/etc plug-ins for this kind of thing. While you can use it for sound design and it’s great for that, I personally put it in the high end mixing/problem solving/polishing category. The prices on those kind of plugins are much more than this for sometimes less functionality.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for and with this you’re getting much more. I may not use this as much as other fx like scream or echo but it is far more valuable imo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

chaosroyale
Posts: 224
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 28 Jan 2018

Wavesfactory's previous plugin trackspacer was very good EDIT:actually not so good after closer inspection.
I'm sure Spectre will be good also.

But: from what they say on the homepage it has far less functionality than Seligs EQ, and at the same price.

I agree the introductory price is nice, and the VST spectrograph will certainly be better (Props - sort out the Reason spectrographs! native, SDK, they are all horrible!) but even so, from first appearances Spectre doesn't come close to the depth of Coloring EQ. Which, by the way, is not only an exciter but also a full powered hi-spec musical or surgical EQ, even without using the saturating part.

For comparison Fabfilter Pro-Q2 is 149 Euro, a fantastic, easy and powerful EQ -the best I've ever used- but without any kind of saturation/tweaking/CV.

If only props could sort out the spectrographs...
Last edited by chaosroyale on 30 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

EdGrip
Posts: 1506
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 28 Jan 2018

Synapse GQ-7 is the same price and doesn't do as much, and that's praised like the second coming of sliced bread around here (and quite rightly, I'm sure).

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5625
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 28 Jan 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
28 Jan 2018
(Props - sort out the Reason spectrographs! native, SDK, they are all horrible!)
I disagree that Reason's native spectrograph is horrible - the graphical display for the main mixer's EQ is fine. But yeah, what devs have access to via the RE SDK is severely limited.

Image
Windows 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

chaosroyale wrote:…If only props could sort out the spectrographs...
Agreed 100% on the need to improve the graphics overall, although it’s important to note that what you ultimately NEED to see with a spectrum display is the total spectrum rather than the instantaneous levels at one point in time.

That’s where the “Hold” function shines - it lets you see the accumulated spectrum over time, and reveals the overall shape of the sound rather than a ‘moving target’.

Since EQ is static, it makes sense to “visualize” the entire signal you are equalizing to be sure you’re not missing any passing spectral issues.


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6180
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

fceramic wrote:
28 Jan 2018
This sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait for Spectre. Mid/side, tons of saturation algorithms, beautiful responsive interface, vst-format and 69€ intro price.
Do they also have a plugin called Meltdown? What bad timing for such a name :lol:

Not to mention...
https://www.uvi.net/spectre.html
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/spectre/
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/blofeld-spectre
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ral-delay/
https://www.crumplepop.com/fcpx-audio-p ... ctrograph/

User avatar
United South
Posts: 151
Joined: 27 Dec 2017

Post 28 Jan 2018

The video didn't show soloing frequencies which is important to me but I see a solo button near the master section.

JdA57
Posts: 48
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 28 Jan 2018

:D Sorry, (hopefully) a last question:

Wow, ist perfect for modularconcept too. But (sorry for that 'but' again):
This question is only 'luxus!' and I don't think you can realize, but I wanna ask.

Because ColEQ working from left to right (what really nice (Y) )

a) I used first EQ (allways sep. Outs) for synth 1, 2. EQ for synth 2 and then I need 3 & 4 EQ for next synth. So I go audio in 3 and audio out 4. Working fine. But maybe it will be really great, if there will be a "link" button between EQ-Parts, so, that maybe saturation of 3 & 4 will go to output of 4. Actually it seems, that sat of 3 will be routed to master out.

b) Hahaha :D and really cool will be, if there will be a radical high / low pass only for created Saturation-Snd.

ok, I think it's too much, but really, while testing I got to this points and missed them.


I know, if I'm using 1 ColEQ per Sound my first wish a) is cleared.

and a next one:

c) it will be very, very, very usefull if I can sort EQSlot (later) by (used) Frequence or maybe can copy one EQ-Slot to another.

- - - - -


Please don't kill me for all this :D :D . But this RE is as so creative (Y) . Fantastic. And pricing is really ok.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

United South wrote:
28 Jan 2018
The video didn't show soloing frequencies which is important to me but I see a solo button near the master section.
The master solo is a quicker way to solo all EQ bands at once. Possible applications are hard core saturation, where you don't want any of the "dry" or even EQ'd signal - just pure saturation (and 5 different 'flavors' of saturation at that).

I'm traveling but will make some 'hands on' videos (showing all the features) over time.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

JdA57 wrote:
28 Jan 2018
:D Sorry, (hopefully) a last question:

Wow, ist perfect for modularconcept too. But (sorry for that 'but' again):
This question is only 'luxus!' and I don't think you can realize, but I wanna ask.

Because ColEQ working from left to right (what really nice (Y) )

a) I used first EQ (allways sep. Outs) for synth 1, 2. EQ for synth 2 and then I need 3 & 4 EQ for next synth. So I go audio in 3 and audio out 4. Working fine. But maybe it will be really great, if there will be a "link" button between EQ-Parts, so, that maybe saturation of 3 & 4 will go to output of 4. Actually it seems, that sat of 3 will be routed to master out.

b) Hahaha :D and really cool will be, if there will be a radical high / low pass only for created Saturation-Snd.

ok, I think it's too much, but really, while testing I got to this points and missed them.


I know, if I'm using 1 ColEQ per Sound my first wish a) is cleared.

and a next one:

c) it will be very, very, very usefull if I can sort EQSlot (later) by (used) Frequence or maybe can copy one EQ-Slot to another.

- - - - -


Please don't kill me for all this :D :D . But this RE is as so creative (Y) . Fantastic. And pricing is really ok.
A: This already happens internally - all EQ and saturation logical follows any possible routing scenario. This was not a simple task, and I owe David/Pitchblende a huge shoutout for making this part work as smoothly as it does!
B: Both filters can already affect the saturation signal if you prefer (if I'm understanding your question correctly).
C: This WOULD be handy - will look into it for future updates but fear the SDK may make it more difficult than it should be with the current design.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
United South
Posts: 151
Joined: 27 Dec 2017

Post 28 Jan 2018

deleted

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2420
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jan 2018

United South wrote:
28 Jan 2018
deleted
Saw it! ;)

D.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests