Luna Dual Performance Synth by PinkNoise Studio in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

EnochLight

26 Jan 2018

I said this on FB and I'll say it here: this is probably one of the nicest looking RE's to appear in a very long time - nice work Pink Noise! Also, it appears to be SDK 2.5 with changeable panels for the insert effects modules - sweet!

I wonder if this is generating oscillators via DSP "on the fly" or is it a ROMPLER?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

26 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2018
I said this on FB and I'll say it here: this is probably one of the nicest looking RE's to appear in a very long time - nice work Pink Noise! Also, it appears to be SDK 2.5 with changeable panels for the insert effects modules - sweet!

I wonder if this is generating oscillators via DSP "on the fly" or is it a ROMPLER?
Well it does say "powered by the sounds of the Minimoog Voyager" and "based on the sounds of the Minimoog Voyager" on the back panel, which I was surprised they were able to place on the product itself.

I wonder if the switchable panels could've instead been used to show a full row of effects and flip to a fuller mod matrix. But over all, does look good and flipping between A and B is quite nice.

Loque

26 Jan 2018

The demo sounds are good and the GUI looks nice, i like how the different fx look different. The mod matrix could be bigger, but this could be always imo.

Considering the price of the refill, this seems a fair price.
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

26 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Agreed this RE is beautiful! I'm gonna go ahead and say best ever.

esselfortium

26 Jan 2018

That GUI looks incredible!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Mauricio Duarte

26 Jan 2018

beautiful, bravo!!

EdGrip

26 Jan 2018

ROMpler or not, that is some really top-notch GUI work. Kudos for that alone.

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

Wow - beautiful.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

scratchnsnifff

26 Jan 2018

Looks amazing! I’l have to buy this one when I get some money! Iv been on a kick of making retro sounding stuff so I bet this will be a quick purchase for myself well done!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

26 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2018

It must be a rompler style of synth, look at the oscillator section in the bottom right. There is a sample start position
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Adabler
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

It is gorgeous!

This seems to be the first RE from PinkNoise. Very cool to see more companies releasing REs.
:reason: 12, Win10

joeyluck

26 Jan 2018

Adabler wrote:
26 Jan 2018
It is gorgeous!

This seems to be the first RE from PinkNoise. Very cool to see more companies releasing REs.
Indeed. I suppose they were involved in Layers https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/layers/
But this is the first RE under their name.

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

This reminds me of Layers.

Something's up with the raw sample that stretches between G - B below middle C for the "OSC SAW Emerson". That range is harder and more 'attacky' .
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Adabler
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

Hmm, what is the deal with that seemingly fine grained polyphony knob on the back? I don't think I've seen that before. The section it's in suggests it has to do with performance, would that mean this RE is very CPU demanding?
Last edited by Adabler on 27 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 12, Win10

EnochLight

26 Jan 2018

Adabler wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Hmm, what is the deal with that seemingly fine grained polyphony knob on the back? I don't think I've seen that before. The section it's in suggests it has to to with performance, would that mean this RE is very CPU demanding?
I'm assuming the "Interpolation quality" switch is to improve the sample quality of its waveforms used (just like the legacy "high quality interpolation" button on the old NN19, NNXT, and Redrum at the expense of CPU), but yeah - that Polyphony knob is likely to ease back on CPU use as well. Nice touch!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

26 Jan 2018

This has to be a IDT device because it’s based on multi samples. It looks gorgeous.

tobypearce

27 Jan 2018

Mini-review

I already have a few Pink Noise refills so for me the value of this RE is in the GUI, and whether it allows for decent sound design.

This is much better than I was expecting. High points:
*being able to choose from a selection of "bass" "pad" sounds etc but ALSO having the raw OSCs too. This is brill.
*the chorus is and phaser are both excellent.
*the eq is savage!
*the different sound sources load instantly - this is a big advantage over refills. In this sense the sound sources can act just like the OSC select on a synth (i.e. sine/saw/triangle/square). Not a million miles away from wavetable in use.
*cpu use is fine
*yes, the gui is inspiring and beautiful. yes, this makes a difference to the experience.
*this is infinitely nicer to work with than NN19/NNXT. Indeed: Props should license this GUI or create something similar for a new sampler in Reason. This really is better to work with ergonomically, and it's not just the beauty.

I can see a trend starting of skinning refills. If Pink Noise do the same for their other excellent refills, and have a GUI that even vaguely mirrors the original synth on which it's based, they're on to something good.
They would need to think about the pricing structure though. Whilst I am ok to buy this refill at this price, if they do others they will start competing with the likes of IK Multimedia's Syntronik, which contains a massive number of synths.

Other comments on the RE itself:
*it would be good to be able to copy settings from source A to B. For example, I set up a simple pluck sound in A, then wanted to use B as a sub osc layer. I had to manually recreate all the settings including ADSR curves.
*low cut on convolution reverb not present (probably a gui issue - it you look at the synth you'll see what I mean)
*drag and drop routing of lfo etc would be great. (Isn't this part of the SDK now?)

Overall - very impressive and very useable indeed. It also sounds just as good as the original refill did.
Last edited by tobypearce on 27 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Gosh

27 Jan 2018

Is there an upgrade option for owners of the refill? And thanks for the mini review :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

27 Jan 2018

tobypearce wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Overall - very impressive and very useable indeed. It also sounds just as good as the original refill did.
Totally missed that this was based on a refill they have. Question: does it come with the same amount of presets as the refill?

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2018

As others have said, hats off to whoever designed the GUI. It looks great (reminds me a little of Monark actually!). It'd be great to see more interfaces of this standard in future!

I can't test the synth too thoroughly as I'm on my way out but the sounds are very good. A couple of things (and apologies if they're oversights on my part);

When using keyboard split mode, there should be a transposition control to offset layer B (and it should work on the MIDI input, not just detune the samples themselves)
Monophonic mode should be applied to layers A and B independently (so you can use Key split to play two monophonic synths at the same time)
A link function for envelopes (or perhaps a "use Layer A env" switch) would be great for making quick adjustments to dual layered patches

There's probably more but, I gotta feed the cat and leave the house. But yeah overall really nice work!! And again, superb GUI :)

dvdrtldg

27 Jan 2018

Internet issues at the moment making it difficult to download anything larger than about 1KB, so a question: presumably this is an awesome synth but not really bringing anything amazingly new to the table of someone who already has Legend + VK1 + VK2?

Italophile

28 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2018
tobypearce wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Totally missed that this was based on a refill they have.
That's because it isn't. Analogue Monsters doesn't include Voyager and their website doesn't list a Voyager refill.

Mauricio Duarte

28 Jan 2018

I was wondering also what refill they were refering to because there is not any Voyager refill anywhere.. (at least i am not finding it)

EnochLight

28 Jan 2018

Italophile wrote:
28 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2018

Totally missed that this was based on a refill they have.
That's because it isn't. Analogue Monsters doesn't include Voyager and their website doesn't list a Voyager refill.
Interesting. I wonder what tobypearce is referring to?

@tobypearce?

• Information