Luna Dual Performance Synth by PinkNoise Studio in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

14 Feb 2018

This looks very cool. Question - Is there a global filter? My problem with Layers was that any filter or filter envelope change had to be made 4x. The beauty of NNXT is that I can drop in a ton of waveforms and then select them all to edit parameters. Obviously NNXT has drawbacks, but I would usually use a device like this to make fat sounds, not layered sounds, if that makes sense. If it's layers, I'd just use a Combi.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

14 Feb 2018

mbfrancis wrote:
14 Feb 2018
This looks very cool. Question - Is there a global filter? My problem with Layers was that any filter or filter envelope change had to be made 4x. The beauty of NNXT is that I can drop in a ton of waveforms and then select them all to edit parameters. Obviously NNXT has drawbacks, but I would usually use a device like this to make fat sounds, not layered sounds, if that makes sense. If it's layers, I'd just use a Combi.
No, unfortunately :(
I could create a switch on the filter panel, that makes the current "Filter A" as "global" and control both synths' cutoff, for example. The problem is that in this case the filter settings won't be updated in the GUI of the B panel, because the script has no access to the GUI (it's a behaviour of the IDT engine).
And that would be confusing.

I also wanted to add other features (eg. copy buttons to each panel that copies the A panel's setting to B and vica versa for fast editing), but I had to give up.

That's it.

Andras
Andras
----------------
I am the voice of PinkNoise

:reason: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :essentials: :rebirth: :recycle: :refillpacker: :re:

jayhosking

14 Feb 2018

The lack of global filter was something that bugged me about Layers, too, but I found that running it through an external filter worked just fine and in fact encouraged me to take advantage of Reason's modular design. It does mean that I need to switch off any "in the box" effects but I'm often doing that anyway.

Really looking forward to trying out this RE once I have a bit of time.

mbfrancis

15 Feb 2018

Szia Andras...thanks for responding - no worries, it's still a cool device. Congrats in the release!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

16 Feb 2018

mbfrancis wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Szia mbfrancis :)

I figured out a possible solution on how we can link the A/B parameters. I added a new switch: "Link Filter". When the "Filter link" switch is on, synth A controls both panel's parameters (cutoff, reso, etc.). When you set it to off, Synth A stops controlling A&B and the previous settings of B is restored.

I can add switches to the envelope panels too.

It still needs to be tested, but if everything works fine, it will be implemented in the next update.

Andras
Andras
----------------

:reason: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :essentials: :rebirth: :recycle: :refillpacker: :re:

Robert

16 Feb 2018

I’m having a weird Luna problem. When using the “2Lead > Flute Lonely” patch (which I really like) I got 2 different sounds. One was flute like as expected. The other, a kind of electric piano sound after saving and closing the document, then reopening it. This is happening with many of the other “2Lead” patches as well though I did not try them all. After some mucking about, I was able to consistently recreate the problem, along with an (unsatisfactory) fix.

1. Create a new Reason document.
2. From the Browser go to “Rack Extensions > Luna Dual Performance Synth > 2Lead > Flute Lonely” patch and drag this patch onto the Rack. (Do NOT create the instrument first).
3. Playing this patch the sound is like an electric piano.
4. Drag the patch “1Bass > Wobling Square Open” onto the “Flute Lonely” Luna instrument in the Rack.
5. Drag the patch “2Lead > Flute Lonely” onto the “Wobling Square Open” Luna instrument in the Rack.
6. Playing this patch, the sound in now Flute like.
7. Save and close the document. Opening it again and the patch again sound like the electric piano.
8. Repeat steps 4-5 to return the sound to the Flute.

Resetting Luna and dragging the “2Lead > Flute Lonely” patch did not fix the problem. Other “2Lead” patches also sounded different if a “1Bass > Wobling Square Open” patch or another “1Bass” patch (though not all) was used first.

Can the developer Andras and anyone else recreate this problem?

Thanks...

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

16 Feb 2018

Robert wrote:
16 Feb 2018
I’m having a weird Luna problem. When using the “2Lead > Flute Lonely” patch (which I really like) I got 2 different sounds. One was flute like as expected. The other, a kind of electric piano sound after saving and closing the document, then reopening it. This is happening with many of the other “2Lead” patches as well though I did not try them all. After some mucking about, I was able to consistently recreate the problem, along with an (unsatisfactory) fix.

1. Create a new Reason document.
2. From the Browser go to “Rack Extensions > Luna Dual Performance Synth > 2Lead > Flute Lonely” patch and drag this patch onto the Rack. (Do NOT create the instrument first).
3. Playing this patch the sound is like an electric piano.
4. Drag the patch “1Bass > Wobling Square Open” onto the “Flute Lonely” Luna instrument in the Rack.
5. Drag the patch “2Lead > Flute Lonely” onto the “Wobling Square Open” Luna instrument in the Rack.
6. Playing this patch, the sound in now Flute like.
7. Save and close the document. Opening it again and the patch again sound like the electric piano.
8. Repeat steps 4-5 to return the sound to the Flute.

Resetting Luna and dragging the “2Lead > Flute Lonely” patch did not fix the problem. Other “2Lead” patches also sounded different if a “1Bass > Wobling Square Open” patch or another “1Bass” patch (though not all) was used first.

Can the developer Andras and anyone else recreate this problem?

Thanks...
Yes, I also experienced that, but still don't know the reason. It seems the synth doesn't recognize the setting of sampler offset parameter at first. I will investigate the problem.
A quick fix: rotate the "Sample start" knob on the OSC panel a little bit and then back to the original position.

I know it's not a soulution, just a quick fix... will be solved, I'm on it.

Andras
Andras
----------------

Robert

16 Feb 2018

Thanks so much Andras! Good luck in finding a solution...

I just found that if you drag one of the problem patches to an empty space in the Rack (creating a new instrument) it will have the wrong sound, until you adjust the Sample Start knob. Thanks for that quick fix for now.

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

16 Feb 2018

Robert wrote:
16 Feb 2018
Thanks so much Andras! Good luck in finding a solution...

I just found that if you drag one of the problem patches to an empty space in the Rack (creating a new instrument) it will have the wrong sound, until you adjust the Sample Start knob. Thanks for that quick fix for now.
Got it. Problem solved. Fix will be included in the next update!

I am sorry for the problems... :oops:

Andras
Andras
----------------

mbfrancis

16 Feb 2018

AndrasHaasz wrote:
16 Feb 2018
mbfrancis wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Szia mbfrancis :)

I figured out a possible solution on how we can link the A/B parameters. I added a new switch: "Link Filter". When the "Filter link" switch is on, synth A controls both panel's parameters (cutoff, reso, etc.). When you set it to off, Synth A stops controlling A&B and the previous settings of B is restored.

I can add switches to the envelope panels too.

It still needs to be tested, but if everything works fine, it will be implemented in the next update.

Andras
Wow, de jó, very cool -- if you get it to work I hope other people find it useful. Thank you, I'll try it out this weekend!

Robert

16 Feb 2018

AndrasHaasz wrote:
16 Feb 2018

Andras
Thanks so much!

Robert

20 Feb 2018

AndrasHaasz wrote:
16 Feb 2018

Andras
Hi Andras,

Purchased Luna and I'm loving it!
When will the fix be out?

Also a nice YouTube review:

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

21 Feb 2018

Robert wrote:
20 Feb 2018
AndrasHaasz wrote:
16 Feb 2018

Andras
Hi Andras,

Purchased Luna and I'm loving it!
When will the fix be out?

Also a nice YouTube review:
Hi Robert,

Next week. Still need to test the new features I recently added.

Andras
Andras
----------------

Robert

21 Feb 2018

Thanks Andras...

Robert

02 Mar 2018

Hi Andras,

What's the status of the update?

Andras

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

04 Mar 2018

Robert wrote:
02 Mar 2018
Hi Andras,

What's the status of the update?
It's uploaded for a while... waiting for the acceptance test.

Andras
Andras
----------------

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

08 Mar 2018

Luna 1.0.3 is available now.
What's new:
• sample offset initialisation bug fixed
• new feature: link options (see manual for the details)
• new patches for the Factory bank

Andras
Andras
----------------

modecca

20 Mar 2018

AndrasHaasz wrote:
08 Mar 2018
Luna 1.0.3 is available now.
What's new:
• sample offset initialisation bug fixed
• new feature: link options (see manual for the details)
• new patches for the Factory bank

Andras
On the next update, could you fix the non tempo sync delay?
Every time I reopen a song, save and then load a patch or copy a patch the non tempo sync delay timing resets.
🔗💥

Soeno

20 Mar 2018

they are discussing bugs in the other thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7505985

AndrasHaasz
RE Developer

20 Mar 2018

modecca wrote:
20 Mar 2018

On the next update, could you fix the non tempo sync delay?
Every time I reopen a song, save and then load a patch or copy a patch the non tempo sync delay timing resets.[/size]
Thanks for reporting. Yes, it will be fixed in the next update.
In the meantime: I know it's not a solution, but if you click on the delay sync button twice, it will set properly - just a temporary quick fix.

Andras
Andras
----------------

Reasonistas
RE Developer

17 Apr 2018

We've added a Custom LUNA Combinator backdrop over at Reasonistas. Go here: bit.ly/combinators and type Luna in the search box, then right click on the image to download it. Cheers!
Reasonistas Luna Combinator Backdrop sample.jpg
Reasonistas Luna Combinator Backdrop sample.jpg (127.3 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
ImageImageImage

• Information