Synapse RE-160 Compressor - in shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

26 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Extremely smooth unnoticeable compression!
Interesting. Reading your comment I almost feel like we tried different compressors. I compared it to many of my other compressors and I thought this one was extremely noticable and far from smooth sounding, even at lighter settings. Am I doing something wrong?
Tried it on drums, synths (plucks, pads, bass).

I can't figure this one out at all. The attack/release setting seems very weird to me. How am I supposed to use it? Trying it on pads was the worst. It almost stuttered in volume changes.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I want to like this because it's Synapse and I typically like their stuff a lot.
Might simply not work for you. If you don’t like it, why bother?

joeyluck

26 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Cool, the dbx160 really is a nice compressor. One of the few compressors where I actually have a few hardware units. The RMS detection really makes it unobtrusive if used carefully.
Which iteration do you have? Curious about the "OverEasy" function found on the hardware, such as the dbx 160A, which is not included in the RE-160.

normen

26 Jan 2018

joeyluck wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Which iteration do you have? Curious about the "OverEasy" function found on the hardware, such as the dbx 160A, which is not included in the RE-160.
Yeah, the 160A units. Its basically working like a soft knee. More reduction = higher ratio.

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Cool, the dbx160 really is a nice compressor. One of the few compressors where I actually have a few hardware units. The RMS detection really makes it unobtrusive if used carefully.
If you get a chance to mess around with this, and have a moment, could you share your impressions? I've not worked on a real DBX for a few years now and don't trust my sonic memory that long!
Selig Audio, LLC

michael.jaye

26 Jan 2018

The “Bass Guitar” patch in the Waves version is fantastic for my synth bass/909 kick bus, keen to see how this RE does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2018

Interesting. Reading your comment I almost feel like we tried different compressors. I compared it to many of my other compressors and I thought this one was extremely noticable and far from smooth sounding, even at lighter settings. Am I doing something wrong?
Tried it on drums, synths (plucks, pads, bass).

I can't figure this one out at all. The attack/release setting seems very weird to me. How am I supposed to use it? Trying it on pads was the worst. It almost stuttered in volume changes.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I want to like this because it's Synapse and I typically like their stuff a lot.
Yeah that might be the case. I just wasn't expecting that since I tend to like everything else from Synapse Audio.
But also I remember I didn't like RE-2A at first either until I figured out what I wanted to use it for. And now it's one of my favorite compressors. So sometimes it's simply just ignorance and it takes a while to "get it".
If there's any developers stuff I'm willing to give a second chance it's Synapse. They've made some of my favorite REs.

dvdrtldg

27 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Interesting. Reading your comment I almost feel like we tried different compressors. I compared it to many of my other compressors and I thought this one was extremely noticable and far from smooth sounding, even at lighter settings.
I have the Waves equivalent of this compressor (DBX 160) and had a similar experience when I first tried it - found it way too spiky and all-or-nothing. But now I love it, at least on gentler settings. It doesn't sound great when pushed hard, not to my ears anyway, but with a light touch it's magic, especially on drums. All seems to be about careful calibration of the input and mix level

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
27 Jan 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Interesting. Reading your comment I almost feel like we tried different compressors. I compared it to many of my other compressors and I thought this one was extremely noticable and far from smooth sounding, even at lighter settings.
I have the Waves equivalent of this compressor (DBX 160) and had a similar experience when I first tried it - found it way too spiky and all-or-nothing. But now I love it, at least on gentler settings. It doesn't sound great when pushed hard, not to my ears anyway, but with a light touch it's magic, especially on drums. All seems to be about careful calibration of the input and mix level
Alright thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I try it again today.

Marco Raaphorst

27 Jan 2018

Yes it's an RMS compressor so it works differently than peak compressor.

On already compressed sounds, drumloops for example, this compressor probably won't do zero. but on super complex and dynamic material it can do magic.

But we're not liking the same stuff, we all have different taste, ears. I for example LOVE the McDSP Moo also.

tobypearce

27 Jan 2018

This RE is extremely efficient in CPU usage. Not quite as good as the M-Class, but nothing is! It beats all other compressors I've got, including the Khs one, for number of instances I can have in a track.
It also sounds different from NI's 160 rendition.

It's a keeper.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

normen

27 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
26 Jan 2018
If you get a chance to mess around with this, and have a moment, could you share your impressions? I've not worked on a real DBX for a few years now and don't trust my sonic memory that long!
Sure, thing is I probably will only get the RE in a few weeks or so as I don't like to have trials on my computer and already spent my audio bucks for the beginning of the year - Softube made the Console 1 compatible with Apollo ;)

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2018

This must be very close to the hardware

just look at The Legend.

Voyager

27 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2018

Yeah that might be the case. I just wasn't expecting that since I tend to like everything else from Synapse Audio.
But also I remember I didn't like RE-2A at first either until I figured out what I wanted to use it for. And now it's one of my favorite compressors. So sometimes it's simply just ignorance and it takes a while to "get it".
If there's any developers stuff I'm willing to give a second chance it's Synapse. They've made some of my favorite REs.

Didn't tried it yet, but from my understanding is that Peak and RMS compressor is used for some very specific scenarios. Basically you will get far better and natural results if you use RMS compressor on pads, bass or vocals, so any frequency that has longer sustains. So for drums or sidechain a RMS compressor won't work as efficiently as a Peak compressor.

normen

27 Jan 2018

Voyager wrote:
27 Jan 2018
So for drums or sidechain a RMS compressor won't work as efficiently as a Peak compressor.
Well it really depends on what you want to do. The 160 won't give you much "splat" but it WILL put a nice accent on the attack.

Edit: I have a general feeling that people tend to over-use compressors waiting for that "fatness" to come in and when it finally distorts and pumps they go "Oh that must be it". So compressors that are not distortion devices at the same time kind of fall by the wayside ;)

Voyager

27 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
27 Jan 2018

Well it really depends on what you want to do. The 160 won't give you much "splat" but it WILL put a nice accent on the attack.

Interesting.
normen wrote:
27 Jan 2018

Edit: I have a general feeling that people tend to over-use compressors waiting for that "fatness" to come in and when it finally distorts and pumps they go "Oh that must be it". So compressors that are not distortion devices at the same time kind of fall by the wayside ;)

I'm producing very dynamic music but still I'm personally not a fan of compressors at all, i always try to avoid them as possible and try focus more on get my mix as best as i can without. And if i ever use compressors is very, very..subtle. If too much i feel it quickly suck the space and air out of the mix like really bad and make the mix asphyxiate and unpleasant.

Marco Raaphorst

27 Jan 2018

Someone should do a LUFS compressor for auto gaining tracks. Based on integrated measurement.

I love the "remake a classic" thing, but I don't understand why not add at least one more innovative idea. Instead of copycat, improve it.

Same as for the McDSP 670 for example. It is great but it would be killer with a look ahead / buffer option.

normen

27 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Someone should do a LUFS compressor for auto gaining tracks. Based on integrated measurement.
That compressor would just do a fixed attenuation after you play the song once :)

Marco Raaphorst

27 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jan 2018
That compressor would just do a fixed attenuation after you play the song once :)
sorry momentary :D

normen

27 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Hmm.. is there no LUFS meters with CV out in Reason?

Marco Raaphorst

27 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Hmm.. is there no LUFS meters with CV out in Reason?
Mmm maybe. I am using https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/lpm/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2018

Oh I get it now. You're supposed to add a Disperser with this compressor. :) Now it's working beautifully for me. Snap heaven on every lead and pluck sound. They should have told us about it in the product details :D

I also found it pretty useful for more natural instruments and sounds.

I'm glad I messed around further with this compressor and gave it another chance. I'll most likely buy it now.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2018

I wonder if this compressor will only be available as a RE or if a VST version will be added later on, like they did with Legend when it was first released.
Either way I'm very glad that Synapse are still making REs even though Reason has VST support now. There are many great RE developers and Synapse Audio are defintely one of my favorites. It's kind of cool that a lot of their stuff is made for Reason exclusively too. I really hope they plan on continuing developing for Reason.

Now that I've figured out how I want to use this compressor I'll be more than happy to buy it and show some support.

miscend

28 Jan 2018

Synapse has kept the effects devices exclusive to Reason like the EQ, phaser and reverb. I don’t think the Legend sets any sort of precedent. And the upcoming Dune 3 as far as I know will remain a VST.

mbfrancis

29 Jan 2018

From the comments it sounds like this isn't going to replace MClass (or SSL) as a go-to utility compressor....too much vibe?

My first hardware compressor back in the day was a DBX, although not the 160. I used it on vocals and bass and it worked great, but what did I know...I was just trying to manage my signal to 4-track cassette tape lol.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Voyager

04 Feb 2018

Just notice that Kilohearts compressor has a RMS detection options as well. Anyone have it comprared to synapse and want to share some thoughs ?

• Information