Synapse RE-160 Compressor - in shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

04 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
04 Feb 2018
Just notice that Kilohearts compressor has a RMS detection options as well. Anyone have it comprared to synapse and want to share some thoughs ?
Very cool find! The Kilohearts compressor is maybe the best RMS compressor I know. I am getting even more "natural" sounding results than the RE-160. The RE-160 is a bit tricky, you need to be careful with the parameters.

Might buy the The Kilohearts VST version! Thanks for the tip :)

O1B

04 Feb 2018

No way to monitor the sidechain? MClass does that.
Seems to make more sense to go from -1 to 1 than from infinity to -1 ... could be me but -
that config seems dangerous.

SC filters not accessible from the front...? easily...

Im a Synapse fan, but this needs a few things. Love the MIX n METERS.

how about: Stereo UN-Linkable Compression - w/ Metering in STEREO.
I hate combi-controlling two compressors for such a simple thing..
But, Stereo-Sonically, it matters.

normen

04 Feb 2018

O1B wrote:
04 Feb 2018
how about: Stereo UN-Linkable Compression - w/ Metering in STEREO.
Just follow the sound source racing left to right across the stereo field - that should work as a meter for an unlinked compressor on a stereo source ^^

Otherwise - they already added more things than the original has (e.g. filters). I guess the point of an emulation is to make an emulation and not to add too many features.

Marco Raaphorst

05 Feb 2018

Must say the Klanghelm is still my favorite at the moment for super complex material and not obvious compression, total smoothness:
https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/MJUC/MJUC.php

Voyager

10 Feb 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Feb 2018

Very cool find! The Kilohearts compressor is maybe the best RMS compressor I know. I am getting even more "natural" sounding results than the RE-160. The RE-160 is a bit tricky, you need to be careful with the parameters.

Glad i unintentionally helped you to found this :)

Could you elaborate why you prefer the Kilohearts over the Synapse ? Would have been nice if Kilohearts had a Mix knob as well !

Marco Raaphorst

10 Feb 2018

Voyager wrote:
10 Feb 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Feb 2018

Could you elaborate why you prefer the Kilohearts over the Synapse ? Would have been nice if Kilohearts had a Mix knob as well !
Synapse can be tricky. Compression can become very obvious.

Compared them to my Klanghelm MJUC and came to the comclusion the Klanghelm kills them all. Best smooth slow RMS compressor ever.

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Voyager wrote:
10 Feb 2018

Compared them to my Klanghelm MJUC and came to the comclusion the Klanghelm kills them all. Best smooth slow RMS compressor ever.
Which of the three models is your favorite?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

11 Feb 2018

selig wrote:
10 Feb 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:

Which of the three models is your favorite?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
For complex voices with background noises I am currently only using the Mk3 (with iStage ON) using Attack at slowest setting and Recovery at 5. You won't notice the sound is compressed. But Mk1 is superb as well. Setting 4 or setting 6 mostly. Haven't experimented with Mk2 too much.

McDSP Moo was my old favourite. It's killer but the Klanghelm is just as good and has more to offer.

boosto23

28 Jun 2019

For some reason I only recently became aware of this RE, so I decided to make a video of it compared to the UAD version. Hopefully it's a helpful reference, even if it's only a "smash up the drum bus" reference :)
https://youtu.be/9CTxp_Oy6eA

Loque

28 Jun 2019

boosto23 wrote:
28 Jun 2019
For some reason I only recently became aware of this RE, so I decided to make a video of it compared to the UAD version. Hopefully it's a helpful reference, even if it's only a "smash up the drum bus" reference :)
https://youtu.be/9CTxp_Oy6eA
Nice comparison. But always difficult to get a clear view depending on the right settings. They sound different in your video - the reason for that is unknown. Not saying about good or bad, becasue this is matter of taste.
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

28 Jun 2019

wondering also how it compares to the rms compression of the ssl

Marco Raaphorst

28 Jun 2019

the RE-160 seems quicker (attack) than UAD version. both are different.

• Information