Synapse RE-160 Compressor - in shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sdst
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2018

how to make good interfaces, here one

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... se-re-160/

Pralijah

25 Jan 2018

Wil be nice to trial it! Agree on the interface. Hope it is light on the CPU. Can be a handy alternative to the MClass and McDsp. love that it has a "mix"-knob.
Make music shake again!

normen

25 Jan 2018

Cool, the dbx160 really is a nice compressor. One of the few compressors where I actually have a few hardware units. The RMS detection really makes it unobtrusive if used carefully.

Voyager

25 Jan 2018

Isn't RMS compression equally to use high pass sidechain compression ?

normen

25 Jan 2018

Voyager wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Isn't RMS compression equally to use high pass sidechain compression ?
No, its not about the frequency spectrum or ratio, its about the peak detection algorithm.

Djstarski

25 Jan 2018

Great . this was the last compressor emulation i was waiting for .

Loque

25 Jan 2018

Sounds interesting... Gonna try it tomorrow. I have so many compressors, i will see if it has something special...
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

25 Jan 2018

For reference, the hardware this is based on still sells for a juicy $429 USD these days:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/160A

Essentially you're getting two (2) of the hardware units in emulation, though, since they're made in MONO!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2018

So I want to trial this thing, especially since it's from Synapse. Are there any material in particular that's suitable for this compressor?

normen

25 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2018
So I want to trial this thing, especially since it's from Synapse. Are there any material in particular that's suitable for this compressor?
People like to use it on drums and vocals but its for everything really. Its also very nice for bass guitar, saw it in a few bass racks already. For drums its kind of the opposite of an 1176, letting through the peaks and only raising the average volume. For vocals its an easy "set and forget" compressor that allows to quickly get a vocal track under control without pumping or flattening. For bass the same, just compressing without too much artifacts or "sound".

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
25 Jan 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2018
People like to use it on drums and vocals but its for everything really. Its also very nice for bass guitar, saw it in a few bass racks already. For drums its kind of the opposite of an 1176, letting through the peaks and only raising the average volume. For vocals its an easy "set and forget" compressor that allows to quickly get a vocal track under control without pumping or flattening. For bass the same, just compressing without too much artifacts or "sound".
Sounds like it's comparable to RE-2A judging from your words, though I don't use that one on drums.

normen

25 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Sounds like it's comparable to RE-2A judging from your words, though I don't use that one on drums.
The optical cell of the LA-2A is somewhat more RMS than traditional peak compressors but its not really comparable. It's like the generation after that where the attack/peak/RMS behavior was even more designed.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
25 Jan 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2018
The optical cell of the LA-2A is somewhat more RMS than traditional peak compressors but its not really comparable. It's like the generation after that where the attack/peak/RMS behavior was even more designed.
I have no idea what any of that means but I'm sure it's all true :D

I have a couple of RE compressors and I pretty much know where I like to use them. But I have no knowledge in compressor terms, hardware or history. I know what attack, release, threshold and ratio is and that's about it. Haha

normen

25 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2018
I have no idea what any of that means but I'm sure it's all true :D

I have a couple of RE compressors and I pretty much know where I like to use them. But I have no knowledge in compressor terms, hardware or history. I know what attack, release, threshold and ratio is and that's about it. Haha
Sure. To me compressors are some of the few devices that can't really be captured by a "best" device in its category. They (like microphones) seem to have so much personality that its always a good idea to have a bunch of them to try around. Just like with some of my mics I also like to have some decidedly "crappy" ones because there always seems to be ONE perfect application for them. And I might just encounter that ;)

Lets just say its mainly HOW they do what the parameters say. That is curves while regulating the volume, how peaks vs. rms volume affect the level detection, any added noise or distortion (which is also heavily dependent on the attack and release behavior) etc. I also like to try any "auto" mode on compressors if they have any.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2018

normen wrote:…Just like with some of my mics I also like to have some decidedly "crappy" ones because there always seems to be ONE perfect application for them. And I might just encounter that ;)
This one quote sums up why any one piece of gear is still to be found in my studio “kit”.

It only has to do one thing better than any other alternatives (assuming that “one thing” is something I still find interesting and useful). ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

dvdrtldg

25 Jan 2018

Might do a shootout with this and the Waves dbx 160 over the weekend, has anyone compared them?

miscend

25 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2018
For reference, the hardware this is based on still sells for a juicy $429 USD these days:

Essentially you're getting two (2) of the hardware units in emulation, though, since they're made in MONO!
The 500 series version the DBX560a only retails for $199.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/560a
Last edited by miscend on 25 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

miscend

25 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
25 Jan 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2018
It theoretically should be closer the SSL sound since they are both based on VCA chips from THAT corp. The SSL is also a VCA comp.

EnochLight

25 Jan 2018

miscend wrote:
25 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2018

The 500 series version the DBX560a only retails for $199.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/560a
Plus another $299 USD for a 500 series chassis to actually use it in... ;)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Bento6S
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

seqoi

26 Jan 2018

Tried it. Going to buy it. Spot on workflow and it can add snap like i used to remember dbx did it. Very welcome addition.

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jan 2018

This one is SUPERB!

I only want the VST version so I can use it in Ableton Live on my documentary spoken audio.

Extremely smooth unnoticeable compression!

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jan 2018

BTW is the price an introductory price?

EnochLight

26 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Regular price is $39 USD.

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Regular price is $39 USD.
thanks! that's a nice price!

still want it as VST though... send them an email...

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Extremely smooth unnoticeable compression!
Interesting. Reading your comment I almost feel like we tried different compressors. I compared it to many of my other compressors and I thought this one was extremely noticable and far from smooth sounding, even at lighter settings. Am I doing something wrong?
Tried it on drums, synths (plucks, pads, bass).

I can't figure this one out at all. The attack/release setting seems very weird to me. How am I supposed to use it? Trying it on pads was the worst. It almost stuttered in volume changes.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I want to like this because it's Synapse and I typically like their stuff a lot.

• Information