Q: Tips using processor intensive RE's

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ejectzero

17 Jan 2018

Hi guys,

The heading asks it all really. Recently bought eXpanse and VK2, only to have major stutter issues from the getgo on my 2013MBP+Props Balance. Set to low CPU usage for everything. I can't even program simple midi without the song bombing out at that stage (nothing elaborate) Grain and Europa are fine FYI.

I feel a bit disappointed, because these products sound amazing. Any advice would be appreciated :). I am aware that bouncing would have to happen inevitably but I can't bounce before even hearing it.. :(

EZ

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2018

You need a more powerful CPU most likely

tobypearce

17 Jan 2018

If you haven't already, choose the maximum buffer size in Preferences -> Audio. Move the slider fully to the right. It makes quite a difference.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

antic604

17 Jan 2018

Ejectzero wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Set to low CPU usage for everything.
What do you mean by that? Sound suspiciously like some power-saving mode, which is a big no-no for DAWs.

Also, use ASIO drivers at 16bit/48kHz, buffer size of at least 256.

See if multi-core and hyper-threading are on, try different combinations (especially disabling hyper threading can help for heavy plugins).

Lastly, use 30-day demos to see if your computer can handle plugins / REs.

esselfortium

17 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Ejectzero wrote:
17 Jan 2018
Set to low CPU usage for everything.
What do you mean by that? Sound suspiciously like some power-saving mode, which is a big no-no for DAWs.
There are switches on the back panels of eXpanse and VK2 that control the tradeoff between audio quality and CPU usage. Setting them to low means they're going to use less processing power.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

antic604

17 Jan 2018

esselfortium wrote:
17 Jan 2018
antic604 wrote:
17 Jan 2018

There are switches on the back panels of eXpanse and VK2 that control the tradeoff between audio quality and CPU usage. Setting them to low means they're going to use less processing power.
Oh, I thought he meant some settings in his MacBook :)

jayhosking

17 Jan 2018

It's been said above, but bears repeating. Increasing the buffer size goes a long way. Even one or two steps higher can make a big difference.

Loque

18 Jan 2018

EXpanse may be very CPU hungry. For better use on low performance computers, decrease the release time of all envelopes, lower polyphony count, less unison, less or lower rate modulation. Lower reverb tails.

For VK-2 the same, keep the settings low on the backside and for the filter on the front aswell.
Reason12, Win10

theshoemaker

18 Jan 2018

In the settings set the Audio buffer to 4096 samples. CPU usage limit to none.Try different combinations of "Use multi-core audio rendering" and "Use hyper-threading audio rendering". These settings mostly help, when you have a lot of devices. You could also set the UI of Reason to low resolution mode. Deactivate WiFi after authorizing your REs, if you need to. For this go to the App folder, right click on "Reason.app > Get Info > Open in Low Resolution". That will help a lot!

UI looks like 1990 ... but that's a huge plus if you are all into synth-pop, chiptune, or other retro tunes :thumbs_up: :puf_bigsmile: :thumbs_up:

How much memory do you have? How many instances of eXpanse or VK2? I barely use more than 3 or 4 where I need modulation, normally just a lead, bass and some pad.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 09.16.54.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 09.16.54.png (178.75 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

chaosroyale

18 Jan 2018

I love eXpanse so I hope Blamsoft doesn't hate me for this, but turn OFF all effects in eXpanse (especially the distortion module which is inefficient) and use Reasons native effects. They sound better and are lighter on cpu so it's win-win.

Get ASIO for all, stat. Set your buffer to around 4096 samples as suggested above if you still have a bottleneck.

Exowildebeest

18 Jan 2018

I don't know how this works on Macs, but there might be a power management option (like in Windows) that regulates the minimum and maximum CPU power states. It's important to set both of these to 100%. I suspect most laptops are configured to save as much energy as possible, and have these options set for that purpose by default. My fresh Win10 install on my new 8700k had these power saving settings enabled by default and it wrecked audio performance as the CPU was constantly throttling back whenever it thought it could, causing DSP overload and crackles as soon as the project got intense again.

I urge everyone with bad performance to check on this setting btw.

Oquasec

18 Jan 2018

Oh yeah I heard about built in effects for RE's use up more cpu than the dedicated effect modules that aren't a part of the RE.
Got a custom built desktop & a tablet with a pentium processor and I'd say 14-17 inch touchscreen.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Ejectzero

18 Jan 2018

Wow guys I did not expect this level of response! Many many thanks!

Okay checked my settings
- no cpu limit,
- increased buffer from 1024 to 2048
- hyperthreading and multicore selected.
- will also disable those effects but I'm afraid I'm still a preset diver :)

Will try low resolution mode when I get desperate!

EZ

chaosroyale

18 Jan 2018

hey OP > if you want to keep it simple try disabling only the distortion and reverb, and using a scream4 or the free RE "mr overdrive" and the RV7000, there are good presets for that too.

• Information