Pulsar "Dual LFO" has only nine waveforms WTH

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

10 Jan 2018

Why does this otherwise super useful device only have 9 waveforms?

Thor has 18.

Little LFO has 15.

Malstrom has 32!

Why would a device, the main purpose of which is to modulate other stuff - provide so few ways of doing so?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

joeyluck

10 Jan 2018

mbfrancis wrote:
10 Jan 2018
Why does this otherwise super useful device only have 9 waveforms?

Thor has 18.

Little LFO has 15.

Malstrom has 32!

Why would a device, the main purpose of which is to modulate other stuff - provide so few ways of doing so?
I suppose if you modulate the LFO itself, you technically get more waveforms. You can do things such as sending LFO 2 into the phase or rate input of LFO 1.

Ahornberg

10 Jan 2018

With the Shuffle knob and the Lag knob you can create a wide variety of waveforms.

WongoTheSane

10 Jan 2018

Meanwhile, the Panda is laughing: Shape has... over 9000 preset waveforms (not a 4chan joke) and free form drawing!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... fo-editor/

drloop

10 Jan 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
10 Jan 2018
Meanwhile, the Panda is laughing: Shape has... over 9000 preset waveforms (not a 4chan joke) and free form drawing!

Or you can draw envelopes in Europa and take the envelope/lfo drawing out from CV outup in Eurpoa .

EdGrip

10 Jan 2018

drloop wrote:
10 Jan 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
10 Jan 2018

Or you can draw envelopes in Europa and take the envelope/lfo drawing out from CV outup in Eurpoa .
I think a big attraction of Grain/Europa as stock devices will be people using the excellent envelope editor for other purposes. The questions are, how best to minimise the CPU hit of using one of these devices as an envelope/LFO generator? And which of the two is most economical for this purpose?

Ahornberg

10 Jan 2018

On the other hand, Pulsar is also a synth and can be played by MIDI notes.

antic604

10 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
10 Jan 2018
On the other hand, Pulsar is also a synth and can be played by MIDI notes.
It's a MONOSYNTH! :D

chimp_spanner

10 Jan 2018

EdGrip wrote:
10 Jan 2018
drloop wrote:
10 Jan 2018

I think a big attraction of Grain/Europa as stock devices will be people using the excellent envelope editor for other purposes. The questions are, how best to minimise the CPU hit of using one of these devices as an envelope/LFO generator? And which of the two is most economical for this purpose?
My guess would be Grain set to tape mode. Without a sample loaded it shouldn't, in theory, use anything. And if it does I'd imagine Tape is the most CPU efficient as it's not doing any granularising. You can use Grain to create pumping sidechain shapes really well in this way! Kong/ReDrum/whatever kick gate out to Grain gate in. Env to CV. CV to 14:2 mixer channel level input.

With that said, it'd be great if PH could release just the modulation section from Grain/Europa as a new utility device. Separate outputs for each of the 4 envelopes and 3 LFOs. Would be sick! Late Christmas present? :D

theshoemaker

10 Jan 2018

EdGrip wrote:
10 Jan 2018
drloop wrote:
10 Jan 2018

Just turn off every OSC and im pretty sure the performance impact is 0 or almost none like in other Props devices
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

theshoemaker

10 Jan 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
10 Jan 2018
EdGrip wrote:
10 Jan 2018

My guess would be Grain set to tape mode. Without a sample loaded it shouldn't, in theory, use anything. And if it does I'd imagine Tape is the most CPU efficient as it's not doing any granularising. You can use Grain to create pumping sidechain shapes really well in this way! Kong/ReDrum/whatever kick gate out to Grain gate in. Env to CV. CV to 14:2 mixer channel level input.

With that said, it'd be great if PH could release just the modulation section from Grain/Europa as a new utility device. Separate outputs for each of the 4 envelopes and 3 LFOs. Would be sick! Late Christmas present? :D
Would like to see Parsec to pick up the Envelops ... I still love using it

antic604

10 Jan 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
10 Jan 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
10 Jan 2018
Are there any past precedents of Props radically altering their native devices? Wouldn't that break backwards compatibility? I'm new to Reason.

theshoemaker

10 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
10 Jan 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
10 Jan 2018

Are there any past precedents of Props radically altering their native devices? Wouldn't that break backwards compatibility? I'm new to Reason.
Yes, parsec is the best example for that. They changed how the modifiers work ... a little bit. And changed the UI. Moved parts arround. And the modifiers got an interactive display, that changed the X and Y knobs alternativly.

EDIT: They are always nonbreaking and backwarts compatible changes, so that you still can load old songs/patches with V3 that used V2/V1 ...

I think, they could do the very same with the Envelops. The basic ADSR for Env1 and Amp and the DAHDSR for Env2 are both subsets of the new Interactive . Envelops used in Grain and Europa. And if you look closely I guess the reused a lot of the Code from Parsec internally in Europa.

So in total adding Panels to Parsec v3 or 2.5 with the new Envelops/LFOs would be super awesome!

mbfrancis

10 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
10 Jan 2018
With the Shuffle knob and the Lag knob you can create a wide variety of waveforms.
Yep, sure, but they're all variations on the same 9.
WongoTheSane wrote:
10 Jan 2018

I will check this out, looks cool. Love the Lectric Panda's stuff.
antic604 wrote:
10 Jan 2018
It's a MONOSYNTH! :D
This was without question the greatest PH video every made. Stop having a boring pad, stop having a boring life...
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Ahornberg

11 Jan 2018

I want this book shown at 0:18 in the video below!

mbfrancis

11 Jan 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
11 Jan 2018

Just noticed that Selig did the music in that...so good.

selig
RE Developer

11 Jan 2018

mbfrancis wrote:
11 Jan 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
11 Jan 2018

Just noticed that Selig did the music in that...so good.
Notice also that Ryan shows the correct notes for the melody @ 0:47 - attention to detail, man!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information