Why does Papen's marketing align SBB with hip hop?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DoctoralHermit

07 Jan 2018

Hey! I'm a total noob so sorry if it's obvious, but why did Papen's company choose to market the SubBoomBass as a hip hop-oriented synth? Are there certain characteristics that give it this sound or what?

Resonator

07 Jan 2018

Maybe cause it got more bass than a crackhouse.

Loque

07 Jan 2018

Resonator wrote:
07 Jan 2018
Maybe cause it got more bass than a crackhouse.
Excellent :lol:
Reason12, Win10

raymondh

07 Jan 2018

You'd have to ask him.

The synth can suit plenty of other genres.

Like Spire/ReSpire - which is also branded a dance synth, and yet it can make really nice retro/vintage textures.

miscend

07 Jan 2018

Why are so many synths marketed towards Trance?

raymondh

08 Jan 2018

miscend wrote:
07 Jan 2018
Why are so many synths marketed towards Trance?
It's a good question. I reckon it is targeted marketing to the market demographic that is most likely to result in maximum revenue.

Even the Roland Boutique synths - you see these demos and they're pitched at making contemporary music with an instrument that is really playing homage to the past.

I don't get it, but hey what ever works for the manufacturers - we need them to be successful so they produce more goodies for us :)

QVprod

08 Jan 2018

A lot of hi hop producers tend to know very little about synthesis so it's a really easy market to target with a bass instrument since Hip hop is characteristically bass (particularly sub bass) heavy genre.

Faastwalker

09 Jan 2018

DoctoralHermit wrote:
07 Jan 2018
Hey! I'm a total noob so sorry if it's obvious, but why did Papen's company choose to market the SubBoomBass as a hip hop-oriented synth? Are there certain characteristics that give it this sound or what?
Sub Boom Bass to me is a ghastly looking thing. A mustard colored panel with blue graffiti logo that you can't read & a ridiculously busy GUI (as many of Rob Papen's synths are). I've never tried it but I have little interest in it as a result of the way it looks. I guess that's totally the wrong way to look at it. It's an instrument after all so most of the focus, you would expect, would be on the way it sounds. But I often struggle to get past the GUI if it looks bad or impractical.

It's always puzzling to me how synths tend to be marketed towards certain genres. I guess they generally try to appeal to whatever is current? EDM seems to be a feature of many presets as well as Trance. I guess this is because these genres tend to have a BIG sound and so developers are keen to show that their new device can cut it with the big boys. For a while it seemed like everything was trying to sound like seminal Trance machine the Access Virus. Again, this doesn't appeal to me as I'm not a fan of either genre. So often I'll be put off of a synth based on how it's marketed towards a genre I have little to no interest in.
Last edited by Faastwalker on 11 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

GRIFTY

10 Jan 2018

Is SBB even worth it for a hip hop/low end producer?? I already get plenty of bass out of Thor and expanse. I was kind of unimpressed by my trial period with SBB. Anyone really love it here?

QVprod

10 Jan 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
10 Jan 2018
Is SBB even worth it for a hip hop/low end producer?? I already get plenty of bass out of Thor and expanse. I was kind of unimpressed by my trial period with SBB. Anyone really love it here?
I wouldn't say you absolutely need it, but it is really good. It's pretty much subtractor on steroids. 2 (switchable) free running oscillators with fm/ring mod capabilities ...etc.. The sound is a bit rounder/warmer from the jump so programing sub bass sounds are a little bit easier than Subtractor and Thor. The unison is far superior to the multi oscillator in Thor.

• Information