How Much C++ D'you Need to Know to Make An Re?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Oquasec

08 Dec 2017

teddymcw wrote:
07 Dec 2017
Oquasec wrote:
07 Dec 2017
Coding is its own galaxy. After a certain point, some prods feel like they need to learn instruments, code or both.
I know for damn sure I'd be hardpressed trying to code, so I will be sticking to Synthedit, Reason's little ecosystem & Cubase for its built-in notation view and calling it a day :cool:
Hmm synthedit looks interesting, though I've really lost all my patience for coding these days and esp c++. To be somewhat fair, programming a complex new combi patch is akin to programming and I certainly feel a bit of the programming mind state when sitting down to seriously mix a track.

Yet an osc as an initial value for manipulation in the chain of events is more fun and sound to me is usually much more instant if not also long term gratification.
Pretty much, I use synthedit to understand music production & some dsp more.
I read it's manual alot also, gives me a lot of insight as to what it is I'm using.
Pretty much reason if you took the guts out of the modular cases.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

08 Dec 2017

So sorry, I made this thread 2 days ago and only just realised I said VST, I meant Re lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

keysperson

08 Dec 2017

The easiest way to really figure this out would be to join Safari Books online, With one caveat Wait till they advertise for 1/2 price memberships. $200 a year. but they have some books on coding up a VST. If you want to dabble around with the various software Every brand of sequencer is in there. They have Reason books up to Version 7, they have Sonar Books, Cubase books, Guitar pedal video's a book on amplitube. Plus every computer language imaginable. But its is hard to know what is in their library.
https://www.safaribooksonline.com/public/support/
You might have to email them and ask them to sign you up for $200 a year. Saved up at one time. It's still a lot less than attending University. There is also MIT Open courseware Python course 6.0 is a great course.
But as far as software Every title by O\reily, Many courses on video, many technical book publishers. Well worth $200 a year. The other option is to improve your math skills. Great Courses Plus is excellent for that. It covers subjects not in Safari. There is also Questia for a great library of books that are published by many university presses and they catalog by subjects really good. It's not technical books but every discipline you could think of has books in there. questia.com. There is also virtual training company and they have a lifetime special where you can access over $1000 courses for a lifetime for $90. The thing is They have Reason up to version 5 and a Record master class for the Reason sequencer, but every programming tutorial for the VTC Virtual Training Companies programming languages is already on Safari. That is why Safari books is king of the programming books site.

Ahornberg

08 Dec 2017

Creativemind wrote:
08 Dec 2017
So sorry, I made this thread 2 days ago and only just realised I said VST, I meant Re lol!
And what kind of RE do you plan? A synth? An effect? A CV-device?

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
08 Dec 2017
Creativemind wrote:
08 Dec 2017
Good question.

And how committed are you to learning it?

I can't even give an estimate of how long it could take as it can vary from months to a couple of years depending on your past knowledge and experience and how you learn.

Oquasec

08 Dec 2017

How different is Reason from Vsts in the guts?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

rcbuse
RE Developer

08 Dec 2017

avasopht wrote:
08 Dec 2017
it can vary from months to a couple of years.
Truth. I started rocking C++ around 1996. I took up learning dsp 5-6 years ago. Dipping my feet into REs with Janitor took about 3-4 months. Most REs or large updates seem to take 6-12 months. Nostromo still took about 9-12 months to write.

aRiver

08 Dec 2017

By the time you will have any ability and understanding to pseudo code a simple filter you will see that your question is irrelevant.

Gorgon

09 Dec 2017

Creativemind wrote:
08 Dec 2017
Yes, we already figured that out. Now, it would be nice if you actually replied to some posts from the people who take time to answer your question, instead of just blurting something out that is quite obvious to everyone already.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Creativemind

10 Dec 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
08 Dec 2017
Creativemind wrote:
08 Dec 2017
A synth which acts kind of like an effect.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Ahornberg

10 Dec 2017

Creativemind wrote:
10 Dec 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
08 Dec 2017

Interesting! Please tell us more!

dana

10 Dec 2017

Creativemind wrote:
10 Dec 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
08 Dec 2017

Kind of like this? i made this VST for the KVR developers challenge 10 years ago!

fieldframe
RE Developer

10 Dec 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
07 Dec 2017
Maybe start programming with SuperCollider (free), PureData (free) or Max/MSP (not free but the one with the most in-depth tutorials in DSP coding) and try to get something to work.
This is great advice. SuperCollider is a very accessible introduction to the world of DSP development.

AttenuationHz

15 Dec 2017

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... ugNScript/

Blue Cat Audio have a tool for making VST's. The language used to script VST's is C++. PlugNScript uses C#, C++, Java and also Angel script which is a combination of the 3. I've been meaning to get this tool for a while and it is currently on sale until January 10th. It is paid for and a little bit expensive but worth the effort I think.

Well worth looking into for anyone looking to get into development of RE or VST's and a great tool for anyone who currently develops RE as they will already have the coding knowledge to make VST's. A good spot to prototype any idea's you have to see if they would be viable options.

Existing BCA customers should get a further 10% discount emailed on all Blue Cat plugs also!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Ahornberg

15 Dec 2017

looks a bit like the Reason RE SDK

GRIFTY

19 Dec 2017

Gorgon wrote:
09 Dec 2017
Yes, we already figured that out. Now, it would be nice if you actually replied to some posts from the people who take time to answer your question, instead of just blurting something out that is quite obvious to everyone already.
what a positive influence you are here on this board

AttenuationHz

19 Dec 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
19 Dec 2017
Gorgon wrote:
09 Dec 2017
Post was made like 10 days ago anything positive to add yourself? :lol:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Gorgon

20 Dec 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
19 Dec 2017
Gorgon wrote:
09 Dec 2017
So I've been told. Why don't you reply in this thread instead.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Ahornberg

20 Dec 2017

Gorgon wrote:
20 Dec 2017
GRIFTY wrote:
19 Dec 2017

So I've been told. Why don't you reply in this thread instead.
Maybe he's busy coding his new RE.

• Information