Remote Mapping Robotic Bean Step Note Recorder

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
opcomm

02 Dec 2017

Hi, I've been having possibly too much fun with Step. I'm controlling it
with my Native Instruments Kontrol F1 in midi mode and have been slowly
building the remote map using info provided into the "MIDI Keyboard w
Controls.remotemap" map that the F1 currently uses. Some things work as
expected, like step pitch [YAY], but some things do not like Sequence
Length. I have four pads assigned to CC 13 (as defined in the Step MIDI
implementation chart), I am alternating between the four pads. Pad 1-4
equals Step Lengths 1-4. The CC values are 1 - 4 and the Step :re: Re tracks
wonderfully. The issue is that after programming the Remote Map: (Map cc
13 Sequence Length), the recorded automation only switches the Step RE
from 0 steps through to 1 step. Ultimately, what I hear while tweaking is
not what I get when playing back the recorded MIDI controller info. I'm new
to making remote maps and I'm wondering if I need to use the scale or mode
fields. I've tried searching and studying other maps in the manufacturer
folders, but don't see anything all that illuminating. I'm new to this forum and apologize in advance if there's a better location for this post. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

By the way, the Kontrol F1 is an outstanding way to control Combinators!

artotaku

02 Dec 2017

I neither have the RE nor the F1 but my guessing is:

A CC value has a range from 0 - 127. The sequence length remotable has 0 - 31 (or 1 - 32). So you need a kind of transformation between these values.
So, for a sequence length of 1 - 4 you would have to calculate the CC value: 128/32 and multiply it with step 1 - 4 to get the correct CC value range for a sequencer length and then set this on the F1 for each pad to be sent as MIDI data to Reason.
examples:
sequence length 1: CC value: 0 to 3
sequence length 2: CC value 4 to 7
sequence length 3: CC value 8 to 11
sequence length 4: CC value 12 to 15
sequence length 32: CC value 124 - 127

opcomm

02 Dec 2017

Thanks artotaku, sound logic and once I unassigned the Step RE in the midi interface it was scaling to the new settings perfectly. You are right, I just needed to divide the 128 steps by however many of the modes or steps there are in the RE's parameter. It's interesting to me that earlier when I simply assigned CC's on my controller and used the advanced MIDI interface in Reason it did incremental control instead of the proportional. Now I select it in the sequencer only (no MIDI interface routing) and all my remote mapping works great. One small weird thing is: after recording automation I can't hear my recorded cc info until I double stop the sequencer and restart. If anyone wants a Remote map, I have it for you; so much fun. I really feel like I have a musical jamming instrument now. On a side note, I wrap this in a combinator and assign the top 4 knobs and bottom 4 buttons to the combinator main four knobs and buttons. I assign it in the MIDI interface and have extra control over my sound source being controlled by the Step Note Recorder. It's jam heaven.

I might just have to paint this F1 like a combinator or the Step!

artotaku wrote:
02 Dec 2017
I neither have the RE nor the F1 but my guessing is:

A CC value has a range from 0 - 127. The sequence length remotable has 0 - 31 (or 1 - 32). So you need a kind of transformation between these values.
So, for a sequence length of 1 - 4 you would have to calculate the CC value: 128/32 and multiply it with step 1 - 4 to get the correct CC value range for a sequencer length and then set this on the F1 for each pad to be sent as MIDI data to Reason.
examples:
sequence length 1: CC value: 0 to 3
sequence length 2: CC value 4 to 7
sequence length 3: CC value 8 to 11
sequence length 4: CC value 12 to 15
sequence length 32: CC value 124 - 127

artotaku

03 Dec 2017

opcomm wrote:
02 Dec 2017
One small weird thing is: after recording automation I can't hear my recorded cc info until I double stop the sequencer and restart.
From the Reason manual:
After you stop recording, you need to click Stop again, or click the “Automation Override” indicator to the right
on the Transport Panel, for the green automation borders to appear on the device panel.
However, if you record while the sequencer runs in a loop I found that as soon as the playhead starts from the beginning and I have stopped tweaking any controller knob/pad before that the automation is applied and you hear it (also Automation Override indicator switches to off).

artotaku

03 Dec 2017

opcomm wrote:
02 Dec 2017
It's interesting to me that earlier when I simply assigned CC's on my controller and used the advanced MIDI interface in Reason it did incremental control instead of the proportional. Now I select it in the sequencer only (no MIDI interface routing) and all my remote mapping works great.
Technically, sending MIDI via advanced MIDI interface or via a Remote Codec to the RE works different. In the first case the RE gets the (raw) MIDI data. In the second a remotable property is set in the RE which could be transformed/modified by the Remote codec that acts as an intermediate between the controller, Reason/Rack Extension. Actually, I would expect that the result is the same since the standard codec you use does no transformation. What we don´t know is if the RE does any internal transformation when it gets the raw MIDI data directly.

opcomm

03 Dec 2017

I'm blown away by Reason 10. It's incredible to me. Now that I'm making some progress with Remote Maps I'm hooked. I'm looking for the Remote Maps for the new instruments and I'm curious if it's possible to allow two way control of the LED pads and buttons on my F1. The F1 was originally created for the Traktor DJ software and has some very sophisticated LED's but some of those advanced properties are not even available in the standard Native Instruments apps, only Traktor. I'd be happy if I could just visually monitor the recorded presses of my recorded data. I appreciate your advanced analysis artotaku, and am curious if you could push me in the right direction. Beyond grateful to have found this place. :oops:

artotaku

03 Dec 2017

To control the LEDs on a controller you need to ensure that the controller supports bidirectional MIDI communication between the host (the DAW) and the controller. I don´t know about the F1 but I´d assume that it does. Best is to search for the MIDI specification or developer documentation for the controller. Some manufacturers (such as Novation for the Launch Series) offer it as a PDF to download some others don´t.

Often, you need to program your own remote codec or adapt an existing codec to have full control about all controls and bidirectional communication if there is no dedicated Reason Remote Codec available for the device. The standard generic MIDI codecs that ship with Reason only allow limited control (e. g. no bidirectional communication). So it is not just about editing remotemap files but to write scripts in the LUA scripting language.

If you want to develop your own codec and have no fear to learn a scripting language like LUA I´d recommend to apply as Remote developer at Propellerhead website. It´s easy to apply and you get access to the Remote SDK and documentation.

dioxide

03 Dec 2017

I've got an F1 also and I have some codecs I can share. I don't have Step though. Agreed it is a great controller.

dioxide

03 Dec 2017

Would love to see a video of what you're doing. I've been trying to persuade Props to expand the Remote mapping for the Matrix.

djsmex

07 Dec 2017

I've got the F1 too and believe you can send midi to it to set the pads rgb values, although haven't been able to get it working myself. I think it's something like sending cc values on channels 1, 2 & 3 with values for the rgb levels and then a cc value to the same channel as the pad sends on for brightness. I'd be glad if anyone can share their f1 remote maps or codecs.
thanks,

v.H-1993

13 Jul 2020

Hi all,

Sorry to necro this thread but I stumbled upon it while trying to create a codec for the F1. I only wanted it to work with ReDrum, but if people are up for it, they just need to edit the remotemap-file in order to use it for Kong or maybe even a basic synth.

Send me your e-mail address in a DM if you want the files or download them from my OneDrive.

opcomm

01 Feb 2021

I recently spent a good deal of time programming my Maschine Studio to control Robo-Bean's Step. I plan on live streaming on twitch. I'll try to remember to post here beforehand.

buddard
RE Developer

01 Feb 2021

opcomm wrote:
01 Feb 2021
I recently spent a good deal of time programming my Maschine Studio to control Robo-Bean's Step. I plan on live streaming on twitch. I'll try to remember to post here beforehand.
Nice! I'm really glad to see that Step is still alive and kicking! :D

opcomm

17 Mar 2021

buddard wrote:
01 Feb 2021
opcomm wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Nice! I'm really glad to see that Step is still alive and kicking! :D
Yeah man, I think putting it in the instrument category was the right call. It feels like an instrument. I like having four notes on sliders and a knob to transpose. I give myself the the option of reducing the 4 notes to 3 and 2 intermittently. It really has the feel of jamming. With a bowed string sound it can feel very orchestral.

Re8et
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2021

opcomm wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Man I'm dead curious about your mapping, give us a link!! :clap:

• Information