Favorite compression and/or dynamics Rack Extensions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Social Exodus

01 Dec 2017

I am relatively new to audio engineering, and I am just beginning to see the usefulness of using compression in my tracks, on buses and in the master bus. But honestly, it's kind of difficult to say which I should use where, and under what circumstances. I'd like to learn more about this critical aspect of mixing and mastering, so I thought to get a thread going on it so people could share their thoughts, ideas and approaches that might help others as well. A search here turned up a thread that started to be about this, but seemed to devolve into 2-3 pages of debate over the Comp-01 which wasn't what I was looking for. I've got no problem with such debates, but I am hoping this will be a thread more about people's work ideas when it comes to compression devices, uses, philosophies and yes, favorite rack extensions or stock devices.

So then my questions for anyone who wants to answer are:
  • Which compressor(s) do you favor and why do you favor them?
  • Where do you use these compressors? Tracks? Buses? Mastering? All of these?
  • What of the SSL channel compressors and master bus compressors? Do you use these, or are rack extensions a better solution?

There are a lot of dynamics processors out there, so getting some ideas before running off to the shop to spend money makes more sense than guessing for me and I'm sure more than a few other folks. Thanks in advance!
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Social Exodus

01 Dec 2017

Deleted
Last edited by Social Exodus on 03 Dec 2017, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Zac

01 Dec 2017

I'm not a tech guru guy but since no-one else has replied...

I almost always used to use the ssl channel comp in rms mode and mainly on percussive or transient rich content to add some punch (slowish attack, quickish release) but have recently found the peak mode very handy for taming synth lines with using fast attack. It really can keep the peak levels where you want by adjusting the threshold.

I used to use the master comp as a quick fix. I now rarely have it hitting more than 1 db reduction and hi-pass it around 400-500hz. I dont really like it pumping the mix.

I have many favourite RE and VST comps but can't really pick many out as i just use them where i feel they work best. And it's so dependent on the source material. My only exceptions would be Selig Leveler and Cakewalk RE2A these really had there own niche before VSTs and i still highly recommend them.

Overall i would say dynamics management is a difficult thing to master and takes time. I used to make bad decisions all the time due to lack of understanding and talent but time does bring lessons if you read here and try and vary your techniques and usage to improve.

eXode

02 Dec 2017

Social Exodus wrote:
01 Dec 2017
So then my questions for anyone who wants to answer are:
  • Which compressor(s) do you favor and why do you favor them?
  • Where do you use these compressors? Tracks? Buses? Mastering? All of these?
  • What of the SSL channel compressors and master bus compressors? Do you use these, or are rack extensions a better solution?
I really like Reason's master bus compressor, it's basically the compressor I use for mastering/finalizing.
I also like the compressor in Pulveriser, esp with a little dirt (with filter bypassed). I use it for tracks primarily, sometimes for buses. It is my favorite for adding a little character and warmth, whatever that means, or for squashing drums to smithereens. I have a couple of RE compressors (FET, Dynamite, RE2A), but I tend to end up with the two aforementioned Reason devices primarily.

I also use the built in comps in various synth plugins that have a comp because it can be convenient.

I haven't really learned the SSL channel comps for some reason, perhaps because it's tucked away in the never ending channel strip. :)

For EQ/Maximizer I prefer to use the iZotope maximizer RE for the final output, I also like to use the Kuassa EVE EQs for master/final EQ, other than that I mostly stay within Reason's stock devices.

Social Exodus

02 Dec 2017

Thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate your thoughts.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

FLVZ

02 Dec 2017

This thread :viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7504320&start=50
Might be quite interesting for you to read :puf_smile:

normen

02 Dec 2017

For me compressors are some of the few devices that are in the same category as microphones in that there seems to be at least one perfect application for even the weirdest specimen :)

I don't need a lot of different preamps, EQs, subtractive synths or anything like that - to me they only have different feature sets. But with compressors (and mics) I can't seem to have enough of them as they all actually behave different with different source material. I haven't yet seen any compressor that makes ALL of the defining factors available as parameters so to me they're about the only "wallet drain" in terms of plugins :)

sdst
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2017

FXpansion DCAM EnvShaper and RE2A Leveling

i don't need more, I could live on an island with only those two

McDSP also are very good

Zac

02 Dec 2017

Funny about the McDSP compressors. I think it's Tritone Addiction who swears by the FRG (frog) comp.

I think it is pretty badly broken and unresponsive on the attack dial .... at least... I haven't tested beyond that. It's enough. Hope im wrong. Im not.

dana

02 Dec 2017

You can't go wrong with softube, though they are a little tricky to use for beginners.

Pulverizer is a great compressor based on the shure level-loc, its pretty easy to use if you just stick to the 1st 2 controls and ignore the rest.

mbfrancis

02 Dec 2017

Here's what I wrote on the other thread, still holds, even w/ VSTs:
mbfrancis wrote:
01 Jul 2016
I use the Mclass all the time for basic stuff.
I use SSL mostly for vocals (and vocal busses) and individual drums (eg snares). I don't like the gain staging though, you have to drop the threshold to nothing to get any effect.
I use the RE-2A on bass and vocals. Smooth.
I use the FET on bass and drums.
Love the compression on the Scream Tape setting, fun for smashing drums (eg for fills or breakdowns). *Scream needs a blend knob.*
Really surprised people like Pulverizer so much - I find the Squash setting hard to use as a compressor. A little bit fattens, or you can set it to 11 o'clock to smash and then run parallel, but that's about it. On the master bus...no way ha... :)

Questions:
* Is anyone using an RE for their basic utility compressor, ie as an alternative to MClass? Which one?
* What compressor would best simulate the MXR DynaComp for my guitar patches?
In addition, I use the SSL master bus comp, with an HPF on the side chain.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

WeLoveYouToo

02 Dec 2017

honestly, until you become good enough with compressors to where you can imagine how they would sound different before even applying them, stick with the 3 m-class compressors. they are great. plus the ssl compressor (in the mixing screen F5) can't be used as an insert, but if you like it's sound, solo a track and bounce it with the ssl enabled.

the best advice i can give to someone would be that you should really only apply a few db at a time, unless you are going for a specific effect. transient taming is much less noticeable by ear than in a vu meter. just play around with different settings on different material for a few months until it starts clicking.
and don't buy any compressor, stick with what comes with reason. there are situations you'd want a different compressor, but only a trained ear would know. also, remember that nobody in the world could tell the difference between any 2 similar compressors unless they also added a specific color to the sound or worked in a very unique way. at it's core, a compressor essentially just moves the volume knob faster than you can by hand, however that is a bit of an oversimplification.

if you are dying to spend a buck, get a dynamics processer reason doesn't have, perhaps get a transient shaper instead. it actually does something similar to compression, but not compression, and there is nothing in the stock rack like it. also, don't forget in the effects folder in the factory soundback there are alot of useful processers like multiband compressors built from smaller more basic devices.

normen

03 Dec 2017

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
02 Dec 2017
and there is nothing in the stock rack like it
Actually Kongs transient designer can be used on any material :)

Otherwise +1 on everything.

Loque

03 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
03 Dec 2017
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
02 Dec 2017

Idd very good device. Wish it were available s single device and didn't must hook up a Kong.
Reason12, Win10

Social Exodus

03 Dec 2017

Thanks for the great answers folks. What I have at my disposal right now is the following, including the rack extensions I bought on whims when on sale:

Stock devices:
  • SSL Mixer Channel Compressor
  • SSL Master Bus Compressor
  • MClass Compressor
  • MClass Maximizer
  • Pulverizer
And Rack Extensions:
  • Selig's Leveler
  • Selig's Gain
  • Selig's DeEsser
  • Cakewalk's RE-2A (free, through my SONAR Platinum ownership)
  • DCAM Channel Comp
  • DCAM Bus Comp
  • DCAM Envelope Shaper
  • Kratos Maximizer
In other words, given what is being said here, I probably have all I may ever need already except the skills to use them properly. Until I get that, buying new ones won't be helpful.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2017

Zac wrote:
02 Dec 2017
Funny about the McDSP compressors. I think it's Tritone Addiction who swears by the FRG (frog) comp.

I think it is pretty badly broken and unresponsive on the attack dial .... at least... I haven't tested beyond that. It's enough. Hope im wrong. Im not.
Yep I love the FRG one. It's been my go to compressor for drums ever since I bought it.
The attack dial works just fine :D

I do like RE2A and Reasons master bus compressor too. So glad I bought RE2A before this Cakewalk crap happened.

I've probably talked about FRG way too many times here at ReasonTalk as I usually do when I find a favorite. There are some REs I just can't seem to shut up about, FRG, Disperser and Legend. Sorry about that :)

WeLoveYouToo

05 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
03 Dec 2017
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
02 Dec 2017

Oh damn, i never noticed that. i kind of just assumed Kong had the standard reason set of filters/fx.
wow. played around with it and i gotta say, it works well.
thanks for pointing that out

mbfrancis

05 Dec 2017

Social Exodus wrote:
03 Dec 2017
Thanks for the great answers folks. What I have at my disposal right now is the following, including the rack extensions I bought on whims when on sale:

Stock devices:
  • SSL Mixer Channel Compressor
  • SSL Master Bus Compressor
  • MClass Compressor
  • MClass Maximizer
  • Pulverizer
And Rack Extensions:
  • Selig's Leveler
  • Selig's Gain
  • Selig's DeEsser
  • Cakewalk's RE-2A (free, through my SONAR Platinum ownership)
  • DCAM Channel Comp
  • DCAM Bus Comp
  • DCAM Envelope Shaper
  • Kratos Maximizer
In other words, given what is being said here, I probably have all I may ever need already except the skills to use them properly. Until I get that, buying new ones won't be helpful.
Technically you're missing some stock compressors: the original half-rack, Scream Tape setting, and Kong.

Some people might argue you need a FET/1176 type device, but I've never needed it (though I own the FET).
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information