cakewalk RE2A Leveling Amplifier discontinued?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
djsmex

30 Nov 2017

Can anyone confirm if cakewalk have stopped producing Reason REs and discontinued their RE2A Leveling Amplifier RE? Cakewalk are not showing up in the prop-shop under brands and the RE2A Leveling Amplifier page is not found.

RoryM0

30 Nov 2017

Hmm yeah can't find it either, I have this RE and I clicked 'go to product page' and got an error 404. There is a message on prop website about some pages being slow to load right now, could be connected?

RoryM0

30 Nov 2017

No longer appearing in Mix and Mastering rig either.

joeyluck

30 Nov 2017

Yes it has been removed from the shop (but will not be removed from your account if you bought it).

If you missed the news, Gibson has ceased development of Cakewalk; Cakewalk will be no more, which includes support for their products. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7504353
So continuing to sell a product they can't provide support for would not be good. Also, they probably aren't looking to operate the business any longer.

However, on the bright side, since RE-2A is a Rack Extension, it will continue to work in future versions of Reason, regardless of changes to Reason or things like operating systems. And it will always be available to sync in your account.

The CA-2A (VST) will be hosted on their servers for owners to download (for at least some time), but since it will no longer be developed and supported, it can possibly become buggy or not work with future DAW/OS updates.

Lov2sing

30 Nov 2017

Gibson owned Cakewalk and they shut it down so it’s easy to believe everything associated with it, will shut down as well. I’m glad I got it when it was here. IMO the next best thing is the Waves LA2A or UA’s if you have their interface.
We make music for a reason

RoryM0

30 Nov 2017

That's a shame. Glad it will continue to work for those that have it, hope that extends as far into the future as possible.

esselfortium

30 Nov 2017

That really sucks. Fortunately I own it already, but it's a fantastic compressor that more people should get to have. There was a promo where it was free for a while at one point a couple years back, it would be great if it could just become free permanently but I guess Gibson just wants to wash their hands of it completely, which is pretty crappy.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

sdst
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2017

what a crap gibson, they removed the best compressor

well, now softube can do one

At least I have it

Loque

30 Nov 2017

Interesting...it is not listed anymore, even if i own it :-\
Reason12, Win10

strangers
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2017

That's a shame. Such a simple yet effective compressor. Glad I got it with the mixing and mastering rig a while back. Hopefully it doesn't get buggy over time.

challism

30 Nov 2017

Maybe some Chinese Chibson maker will someday start kicking out Chakewalk RE2As.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

30 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
30 Nov 2017
Interesting...it is not listed anymore, even if i own it :-\
That's how it is. But you can still see it in your account and download/sync from there. No image. Just like the original Crapre, MC-1 cowbell, ABL2, all the Black and Orange REs...

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
30 Nov 2017
However, on the bright side, since RE-2A is a Rack Extension, it will continue to work in future versions of Reason, regardless of changes to Reason or things like operating systems. And it will always be available to sync in your account.
Much as I don't like the lock-in of the RE platform, this is indeed one of the things that makes it an interesting trade-off: Gibson can shutter Cakewalk and abandon RE development, but the forward-compatibility built into the SDK and the fact that Propellerhead manages everything should keep a "dead" plugin like RE-2A relevant for years to come.

Gorgon

30 Nov 2017

Wasn't this the whole selling point of RE's, that this was NOT supposed to happen? Propellerhead would continue to support the third party RE's?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

joeyluck

30 Nov 2017

Gorgon wrote:
30 Nov 2017
Wasn't this the whole selling point of RE's, that this was NOT supposed to happen? Propellerhead would continue to support the third party RE's?
Well Propellerhead can't keep developers from removing support for their plugins or removing their plugins from the shop. What Propellerhead can do is to ensure that those plugins remain in your account and that all REs will be future compatible and continue to work in Reason regardless of changes around it.

TheGodOfRainbows

30 Nov 2017

Shame. It truly is one of the great compressors available. What is it about that thing that makes it sound so good? The fact that it's so simple to use makes it a staple in my Rack diet.

tobypearce

30 Nov 2017

It really is a great compressor.
There are other LA2As available via VST though. IKMultimedia do one, NI does one. The NI one is much easier on CPU than Cakewalk's version. On the other hand, at one time I compared all three and I definitely preferred the sound of the Cakewalk version, so it is a shame it's been caught up in the Gibson deal.

Propellerhead should buy it straight away, and then give away for free as part of Reason 10.1.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Reasonable man

30 Nov 2017

Bought it on saturday . Its a unique sounding device . Oh so glad now. I hope people are still able to find a way to buy it...although i'm not sure how that could happen now

Resonator

30 Nov 2017

I knew it would happen sooner rather than later. But I'm glad that I got it for free when they had the giveaway offer.

dvdrtldg

30 Nov 2017

Love that comp so much. Just reading this thread is making me want to take it out & play with it

mbfrancis

30 Nov 2017

My friends on Sonar are super bummed. Sonar had some cool stuff, a great native channel strip.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

kitekrazy

30 Nov 2017

I got mine for free along with the VST version. That's another reason why I will miss Sonar. You got some nice free stuff.

Goodbye

30 Nov 2017

Really glad I picked it up. This and the FET are the king and queen of compressor REs.

Goriila Texas

30 Nov 2017

This proves whats PH always has said that if a company goes belly up,your RE's are safe which is true because just loaded Cakewalk RE in Reason.

drloop

01 Dec 2017

I use the RE2A for vocals. But I find myself like McDSP Moo Tube even better for vocals. It is not the same type of compressor but if you like RE2A for vocals, Moo Tube does the job even better.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ompressor/

• Information