F-16 idea for update

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

28 Nov 2017

Just thought of a few ideas that would be useful for blamsofts f-16 filter. I don’t know if it’s possible but it would be very cool of a dry wet knob could be easily implemented without harming how it sounds. I don’t know how that stuff works but it’d make the phase filter more useful. It would also be cool if the F-16 got some of those ladder algorithms that expanse has. Not sure if those are self resonating or what not, but I love how they make great womps. And one final nifty idea would be to add a filter type where we could adjust the bandwidth of a bandpass filter/notch filter in real time. I know that the air raid audio filter does this and it’s awesome for vowel sounds. Just some ideas :)

One final thought, if the UI could get polished up to have the look of the expanse envelopes. I feel like the green line that displays what filter type is looking “dated” compared to the kinds of graphical envelope designs of newer products. Are these changes possible or is this a device that will be forever as is? Would love to hear some thoughts
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2017

A gate env in section would be amazing, plus adsr controls over the env section. Best filter in town.
Althought movement can do that, I imagine some more modular banks or refills for blamsoft would do it.
It's kind of understandable to have a modular approach in re design, to keep them cpu efficient and not overload with
knobs. Perhaps an F-32 filter?
Also modular refill for blam would be an instabuy for me.

Loque

02 Dec 2017

All FX should have dry+wet or dry/wet buttons. Maybe it is worth to be mentioned, that F-16 is one of those rare filters with env AND midi note support...

I always would appriciate more stuff, more filters and more of blabla. But to be fair to the dev, it is not a must and it is also fair to pay for it. Not sure if all customers agree to this.

The GUI is ok for me.

But i would guess, that in the moment the dev touches the filter, it would only be compatible with SDK2.5+.
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

02 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
02 Dec 2017
But i would guess, that in the moment the dev touches the filter, it would only be compatible with SDK2.5+.
Not necessarily! We can still create 2.2-devices, and of course update existing ones, too.

However, for display-heavy devices I guess it's pretty tempting to update the SDK version so you can add support for shift- and cmd/ctrl-click... But it's still the developer's choice.

Loque

02 Dec 2017

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2017
Not necessarily! We can still create 2.2-devices, and of course update existing ones, too.
Sure, but the dev needs to have it set up and installed ;)
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

02 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
02 Dec 2017
buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2017
I assure you that this is not a problem, we can still download older SDK versions from the developer portal if we want. (I even double checked it just now)

Loque

02 Dec 2017

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2017
Loque wrote:
02 Dec 2017

I assure you that this is not a problem, we can still download older SDK versions from the developer portal if we want. (I even double checked it just now)
Never said, its not possible :-) I said, the dev need to do that, and i read several times, that its too much effort for some devs to keep older SDKs alive and they throw the old dev environment away.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

04 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
02 Dec 2017
All FX should have dry+wet or dry/wet buttons. Maybe it is worth to be mentioned, that F-16 is one of those rare filters with env AND midi note support...

I always would appriciate more stuff, more filters and more of blabla. But to be fair to the dev, it is not a must and it is also fair to pay for it. Not sure if all customers agree to this.

The GUI is ok for me.

I have wondered if there is some way or another to create a make shift dry/wet knobs for effects that don’t have one, maybe using line mixers audio splitting, and possibly one of the CV devices in the shop. I have that vector cv device I’m probably going to try this tomorrow :thumbs_up:

Loque

05 Dec 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
04 Dec 2017
I have wondered if there is some way or another to create a make shift dry/wet knobs for effects that don’t have one, maybe using line mixers audio splitting, and possibly one of the CV devices in the shop. I have that vector cv device I’m probably going to try this tomorrow :thumbs_up:
The simplest approach is using Crossfin. Another could be using a audiosplitter, one signal to a line mixer channel, one to the fx and into the linemixer. But always keep in mind for plugin delay and phasing, thus use those routings only for fx where phasing might not be a big issue.

If phasing is an issue, you need to use parallel-channels.
Reason12, Win10

mbfrancis

05 Dec 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
04 Dec 2017
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... rossfader/

Free....you'll need an Audio splitter as well.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Loque

11 Dec 2017

Looks like Santa has heard your wishes: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... og-filter/
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

11 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Looks like Santa has heard your wishes: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... og-filter/
Crazy!!! That’s awesome thanks blamsoft! Talk about awareness. Can’t wait to make some better phase filter sounds using the modwheel as a dry wet control

DinoJ

11 Dec 2017

Only just picked this up as had completely forgotten about it till this thread and then the surprise update brought it back to my attention.

One quick question though for people who have been using this a while and know it intimately. When you drop it in a project has it always auto wired its inputs and outputs to Left 1 and 2 rather than Left 1 Right 1? It just seems a bit weird to me that it wires itself up this way. Is this just something happening on my machine and it works fine for everyone else? It does not seem to affect how it operates, which is a bonus however it also seems to not make sense to me either, or am I missing something?

jayhosking

11 Dec 2017

$9 for this? Plus an update with dry/wet? I'm trying it now.

chaosroyale

11 Dec 2017

Tried it, bought it. Simple, versatile, effective. Blamsoft really coming with the hits recently.

joeyluck

11 Dec 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Loque wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Crazy!!! That’s awesome thanks blamsoft! Talk about awareness. Can’t wait to make some better phase filter sounds using the modwheel as a dry wet control
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Awesome :)

scratchnsnifff

11 Dec 2017

Now maybe propellerhead can add sample loading to Europa? ;) haha il hope for that Instead of a Thor update lol

mbfrancis

16 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
11 Dec 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
11 Dec 2017

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Awesome :)
Can someone tell me why the Drive knob comes *after* the dry / wet? Makes no sense.
Last edited by mbfrancis on 16 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

RandomSkratch

16 Dec 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:Now maybe propellerhead can add sample loading to Europa? ;) haha il hope for that Instead of a Thor update lol
Europa isn't a traditional wavetable synth so sample loading isn't possibly unless they totally redo how it's made.

scratchnsnifff

16 Dec 2017

RandomSkratch wrote:
16 Dec 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:Now maybe propellerhead can add sample loading to Europa? ;) haha il hope for that Instead of a Thor update lol
Europa isn't a traditional wavetable synth so sample loading isn't possibly unless they totally redo how it's made.
I’l bet there’s some sort of way of making a .wav to convert to partials. That’s essentially what the drawing feature does. Idk if it would mean fully rebuilding the device. Just might take a bit of programming work. It appears to been built with the RE sdk (.repatch) and expanse later on added a mean of turning samples into wavetables. Il stay hopeful :)

chaosroyale

17 Dec 2017

I agree the wiring to 1L/2L instead of 1L/1R is confusing. If Blamsoft are reading this, is there a reason?

Also one of the above posters thinks drive is after the dry/wet? Again that should really be fixed.

Otherwise this is a fantastic little rack extension.

Auryn

17 Dec 2017

DinoJ wrote:
11 Dec 2017
Only just picked this up as had completely forgotten about it till this thread and then the surprise update brought it back to my attention.

One quick question though for people who have been using this a while and know it intimately. When you drop it in a project has it always auto wired its inputs and outputs to Left 1 and 2 rather than Left 1 Right 1? It just seems a bit weird to me that it wires itself up this way. Is this just something happening on my machine and it works fine for everyone else? It does not seem to affect how it operates, which is a bonus however it also seems to not make sense to me either, or am I missing something?
I've owned the F-16/polymodular system since it was released and IIRC it's always done this. I'm not 100% sure it's intentional, but it might have to do with the integration/wiring with the other polymodular components. Both polymod oscillators (viking osc and movement) have mono out, so it might just be configured to accept mono wirings as a default.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

DinoJ

20 Dec 2017

Auryn wrote:
17 Dec 2017
DinoJ wrote:
11 Dec 2017

I've owned the F-16/polymodular system since it was released and IIRC it's always done this. I'm not 100% sure it's intentional, but it might have to do with the integration/wiring with the other polymodular components. Both polymod oscillators (viking osc and movement) have mono out, so it might just be configured to accept mono wirings as a default.
Thanks ever so much for answering Auryn, that makes a lot of sense :thumbs_up:

Blamsoft
RE Developer

22 Dec 2017

The wiring behavior is because when using the Polymodular System, you can route two voices together with one click-drag. If you haven't made a synth with the system it might not make sense. It saves time but makes it a little confusing in stereo operation. It still works fine though.

The dry/wet drive behavior is also a little confusing, but I think it is better to boost the dry signal so that mixing does not have a big volume difference and cause the knob position to be unbalanced.

Voyager

22 Dec 2017

Just trial F-16, it won't be my go-to filter but i found it a special use, it make wonders at cutting down frequencies with the 2 pole notch especially with -48dB range ( very useful in low frequencies ).

The only thing is that the Q is a bit wide and it can take other near unwanted frequencies but i found that compensate with 2 M-class filter in Q as well does the trick to bring back the around frequencies so you can precisely remove a specific unwanted frequency.

• Information