Adv. Mastering - Master Bus Comp w/ Synapse AF-4

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
WillyOD

28 Nov 2017

I'm thinking of picking up Synapse AF-4 since it's on sale for two more hours.

Because of this video:
Propellerhead's Youtube Channel: Advanced Mastering - Focusing the Master Bus Compressor

I wanted to try this technique out. So before I make the purchase, are there other REs that could be used for the same thing? Or free stuff in Reason? Any reason why this Props video was done using AF-4?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Loque

28 Nov 2017

Get the FX bundle for 43€.
Reason12, Win10

WillyOD

28 Nov 2017

The bundle is off the sale (199 eur here) and I really don't need any more EQs or Choruses or Reverbs or Phasers. Ring Mod might be nice and I already own DR-1. But thanks!-;
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Loque

28 Nov 2017

WillyOD wrote:
28 Nov 2017
The bundle is off the sale (199 eur here) and I really don't need any more EQs or Choruses or Reverbs or Phasers. Ring Mod might be nice and I already own DR-1. But thanks!-;
The big bundle is 199, the small FX bundle is 53 (sry, not 43): https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... fx-bundle/

I often think, i dont need that stuff too. But the phaser and chorus have a very good sound. The reverb is te same as in Antidote and its pretty good. The EQ is very nice at the low end and glues things together.
Reason12, Win10

madmacman

28 Nov 2017

WillyOD wrote:
28 Nov 2017
I wanted to try this technique out. So before I make the purchase, are there other REs that could be used for the same thing? Or free stuff in Reason? Any reason why this Props video was done using AF-4?
Unfortunately, I'm not at home and can check, but

a) AF-4 was chosen at that time because of its 24db steep filter option which "cuts" the low end a little more precise. Stock devices didn't provide this option in 2014.
b) I don't know where I have it, but I remember there were complaints before and Ryan has demonstrated an option with stock devices only elsewhere - I need to search.
c) In the meantime there is a free filter in the shop with at least 18db: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ic-filter/ You could give it a try.

EdGrip

28 Nov 2017

For stock devices, I use the MClass stereo imager's "hi band" output for this job. (as per Selig, I think?)

Alternatively, AirRaid Elements Splitter is free, has a 24bB slope option, and is great for all sorts of multi-band effects. It's perfect for this task.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -splitter/

Also, do a search for Selig's advice on putting your mastering effects (like maximizers) after the Master Bus Compressor, not before.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2017

Synapse AF-4 and Blamsoft F-16 Filter are the best Filter, pure quality

I recommend both

FLVZ

28 Nov 2017

I now use this filter: https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ic-filter/
For that particular job, its free and actually very good quality!

EdGrip

28 Nov 2017

There's no need to use a fancy-pants zero-delay-feedback analogue circuit-modelled filter for this job. We never hear its output (I think it's misleading of Ryan to say "...because it sounds good" in the video there.)
All we're trying to do here is make the Master Bus Compressor deaf to the low end in the track, so that it responds accordingly.

scratchnsnifff

28 Nov 2017

I think that my favorite filters are hands down the F-16 by blamsoft, etch red by fxpansion(old dog that can keep up with newer tricks) I trialed the primal audio filter which sounded great! As well as the synapse filter. I really liked how the drive of the synapse filter was enough to notice but not so much that filter sweeps turn to noise
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

28 Nov 2017

Loque wrote:
28 Nov 2017
WillyOD wrote:
28 Nov 2017
The big bundle is 199, the small FX bundle is 53 (sry, not 43): https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... fx-bundle/

I often think, i dont need that stuff too. But the phaser and chorus have a very good sound. The reverb is te same as in Antidote and its pretty good. The EQ is very nice at the low end and glues things together.
Ok, now its too late.
Reason12, Win10

mbfrancis

29 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
28 Nov 2017
There's no need to use a fancy-pants zero-delay-feedback analogue circuit-modelled filter for this job. We never hear its output (I think it's misleading of Ryan to say "...because it sounds good" in the video there.)
All we're trying to do here is make the Master Bus Compressor deaf to the low end in the track, so that it responds accordingly.
This...you don't need a crazy filter, you don't even hear it. I use the Stereo Imager, soloing the high band. Or use Pulverizer's HPF. Not steep enough? Use two of them, put it in your template and forget it.

I still don't get how to route so you avoid the whole 'snake eating it's tale' thing (i.e., you're sidechaining a compressor with material already compressed), but it sounds ok to me. Selig explained it once but it made my head hurt. :)
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information